Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Pheasant

73 posts in this topic

Posted

Just wondering if anybody has tried the newly refurbished 'The Pheasant'? It's sign says fine food and wines? I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Posted

Actually I went there with my family. It was very pleasant. Whilst I would not call it Fine Dining the food was nice, staff very friendly and reasonable wine list. Very good value for money. The decor is well done still retaining the atmosphere of a pub. My only disappointment was the TV in the dining room showing football! But the staff were happy to turn it off when asked. They didn't have a childrens menu yet but are planning one for the near future. They were happy to split an adult meal into 2 and even put a few extra bits on.

I will definately be returning and would urge anybody living in the area to support The Pheasant as it is desperately needed in Amersham on the Hill! It's certainly better than the Boot and Slipper in terms of value for money and friendliness of staff.

Not sure why they haven't done a leaflet drop or something in the area to advertise themselves.

Posted

We must give this place a try, The Boot & Slipper is definitly off the menu.

The Pheasant needs to do a leaflet drop, or nobody will go there. It is off the main byways

Posted

I might give it a try then as its only a 2 minute walk from my house and my neighbour works there.

Posted

Myself and Eaton (Mel) have just been there for lunch.

Well I don't think either of us will eat for a week now!

The food was lovely,staff polite and the pub itself has had a very nice facelift.

Very impressed and I'm sure Mel will say the same thing.

Posted (edited)

Myself and Eaton (Mel) have just been there for lunch.

Well I don't think either of us will eat for a week now!

The food was lovely,staff polite and the pub itself has had a very nice facelift.

Very impressed and I'm sure Mel will say the same thing.

Ditto to all the above.

In the interest of fully checking out the menu I had main course, side order and pudding. :blink: The only bad thing that I can say and it's only a little niggle, is that the hand dryer in the ladies loo wasn't working.

The old dross weren't in there, although that may have been because it was a lunchtime but I will definitely go again. Although next time I won't order so much food as the portion sizes are large.

Forgot to mention that when we arrived the pub was deserted, I wanted to sit beside the fireplace but there was a pint on the table next to it, although there was no one sitting there. I mentioned it to Ruth and we sat nearer the other fireplace. Within minutes they'd come over and lit the other fire. Full marks for listening to the customer! :lol:

Edited by Eaton

Posted

Ditto to all the above.

In the interest of fully checking out the menu I had main course, side order and pudding. :blink: The only bad thing that I can say and it's only a little niggle, is that the hand dryer in the ladies loo wasn't working.

The old dross weren't in there, although that may have been because it was a lunchtime but I will definitely go again. Although next time I won't order so much food as the portion sizes are large.

Forgot to mention that when we arrived the pub was deserted, I wanted to sit beside the fireplace but there was a pint on the table next to it, although there was no one sitting there. I mentioned it to Ruth and we sat nearer the other fireplace. Within minutes they'd come over and lit the other fire. Full marks for listening to the customer! :lol:

The 'Old Dross' have migrated unfortunately to the 'Shed', apparently you are not allowed to wear hats in the Pheasant.

Why anyone would want to wear a hat inside (apart from it being bad manners) is beyond me.

Posted

The 'Old Dross' have migrated unfortunately to the 'Shed',

Where's the 'shed'?

Posted

Where's the 'shed'?

Amersham Community Association,

£4:50 annual membership.

£1:70 a pint.

But it is 'Spit & Sawdust'.

Posted

Amersham Community Association,

£4:50 annual membership.

£1:70 a pint.

But it is 'Spit & Sawdust'.

and the beer is terrible (Tennents fizzy brown water)

Posted

and the beer is terrible (Tennents fizzy brown water)

Thats why the regulars who drink bitter, drink bottled bitters.

Although I think the draught bitter might be Tetly now.

I'm a Guiness man myself but my extensive knowledge of beers gathered over the last thirty years tells me that Tetly isn't really a good bitter either.

Posted

The 'Old Dross' have migrated unfortunately to the 'Shed', apparently you are not allowed to wear hats in the Pheasant.

Why anyone would want to wear a hat inside (apart from it being bad manners) is beyond me.

Do you know what I noticed an old boy in there today who looked familiar,I couldn't quite place him,I realised later who he was,he just looked different as he didn't have his permanent fixture on - his hat!!

Posted

apparently you are not allowed to wear hats in the Pheasant. Why anyone would want to wear a hat inside (apart from it being bad manners) is beyond me.

But it's only bad manners for (gentle)men to wear hats indoors; it's fine for ladies. (I have no idea why.) Are women allowed to wear hats in the Pheasant, or do they have their own unique rules? However, if it's as good as reported, such quirks shouldn't matter.

Posted

But it's only bad manners for (gentle)men to wear hats indoors; it's fine for ladies. (I have no idea why.) Are women allowed to wear hats in the Pheasant, or do they have their own unique rules? However, if it's as good as reported, such quirks shouldn't matter.

There's hats and there's hats, I don't count myself old by any means but I think the wearing of baseball caps inside pubs should not be allowed.

Posted

Thats why the regulars who drink bitter, drink bottled bitters.

Although I think the draught bitter might be Tetly now.

I'm a Guiness man myself but my extensive knowledge of beers gathered over the last thirty years tells me that Tetly isn't really a good bitter either.

Yes, sorry, I meant Tetley.

Bottled bitters, as well as being more expensive, are only one stage better than the stuff that's pushed out of aluminium barrels by compressed air. The only decent bitter is pulled from wooden barrels.

I also like a nice pint of Guinness; unfortunately you can't get that there either.

Actually, the bitter tasted a bit better this evening - perhaps because it's the one night of the week that it comes with a smile.

Posted

I think the wearing of baseball caps inside pubs should not be allowed.

Perhaps baseball caps shouldn't be allowed anywhere other than baseball matches?

Posted

Yes, sorry, I meant Tetley.

Bottled bitters, as well as being more expensive, are only one stage better than the stuff that's pushed out of aluminium barrels by compressed air. The only decent bitter is pulled from wooden barrels.

I also like a nice pint of Guinness; unfortunately you can't get that there either.

Actually, the bitter tasted a bit better this evening - perhaps because it's the one night of the week that it comes with a smile.

You could be right there, I think Steve is definately in the wrong job, perhaps he should be a night club doorman.

Posted

I took the wife to the Pheasant several weeks back, both she and I were very pleased with the food. As mentioned above the portions are generous and some food went home in a napkin for my two four legged ladies. I was particularly pleased with the fish cake, normally they are a paste this had flakes of Cod and lots of flavour, the Continental beers were also very much to my liking for a treat. I know some of the staff and I'm happy to see them do well in such a role and one they seem to enjoy. It is still quiet, but if we spread the word hopefully it will become a success.

Posted

I took the family there just before Christmas. Food was ok (nothing special, but perfectly servicable) but very well priced. Staff where very helpful and friendly. For me it will be a great place to go and watch the football and have a meal - until now there's been nowhere decent to do that in Amersham.

Posted

I took the family there just before Christmas. Food was ok (nothing special, but perfectly servicable) but very well priced. Staff where very helpful and friendly. For me it will be a great place to go and watch the football and have a meal - until now there's been nowhere decent to do that in Amersham.

Have they still got Sky ?

I havn't been in since it reopened, but was under the impression that they were not going to have big screen TV.

Posted

Have they still got Sky ?

I havn't been in since it reopened, but was under the impression that they were not going to have big screen TV.

When I went in for lunch last week, they had a football match on (thankfully with no sound). They have at least 1 plasma screen above the fireplace in the bar area.

Posted

When I went in for lunch last week, they had a football match on (thankfully with no sound). They have at least 1 plasma screen above the fireplace in the bar area.

Thanks for that.

When you get your car saga sorted will you be letting us all know which local indepedant garage it was with ?

Posted

Thanks for that.

When you get your car saga sorted will you be letting us all know which local indepedant garage it was with ?

Probably not, but it wouldn't take a genius to work it out. To be fair to them the first five weeks wasn't their fault, although I'm not too sure about the last 5-6 weeks.

Posted

Do they do proper beer these days? Last I heard, they sold nothing but various varieties of fizzy golden muck, and the only bitter on offer was some of that oily "smooth" stuff.

Posted

Do they do proper beer these days? Last I heard, they sold nothing but various varieties of fizzy golden muck, and the only bitter on offer was some of that oily "smooth" stuff.

I don't drink beer so I wouldn't notice, but I definitely heard my husband saying 'good selection of beer'.