Iceland To Become Sainsburys

54 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

According to the BFP, Sainsbury is likely to apply to build a new store on the Iceland site.

See BFP story. It's interesting to see the non-Amersham people posting such strong feelings in the comments section at the end.

Posted · Report post

It's interesting to see the non-Amersham people posting such strong feelings in the comments section at the end.

The Judge seems like a nice chap. :)

Posted · Report post

The Judge seems like a nice chap. :)

Yes most pleasant,typing in capitals really annoys me! But well said Mel!

Posted · Report post

I bet he's only peed off about the parking cause he has to walk one mile and dirty his posh shoes :lol:

Posted · Report post

Even though we have one in Chesham I think it would be handy and offer more than Iceland.Only thing is that the existing Iceland site isnt very big,so this will be a small store.

Posted · Report post

well said Mel!

Thank you. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately the size of the comments box is annoyingly narrow, which means it's not very easy to proof read what you've written so my latest comment is lacking in comma's in the last paragraph and therefore doesn't read as well as it should do.

Posted · Report post

Yes most pleasant,typing in capitals really annoys me! But well said Mel!

Yes, well said Mel. You come across as the voice of reason - something rather lacking in some of the earlier POSTINGS ;)

Posted · Report post

What is not clear is what would happen to shops close by. Mention is made of an underground car park. I would think if that was created, it would be welcomed as more parking for Amersham, but it would impact on Cargo next door. They have a delivery yard and rear entrance accessed via the back of Iceland. Perhaps the development includes the complete block (built in the mid 1960s) and Iceland / Cargo may move to other vacant units in the town. I think a Sainsbury would be a benefit to Amersham, if it happens I hope it inter acts better with the shops than Sainsbury and Waitros do in Chesham, both of which have entrnaces away from the main shops despite being next to them.

Oh, and I wounder if the Judge is getting confused with the Old Town and Amersham O T H

Posted · Report post

Oh, and I wounder if the Judge is getting confused with the Old Town and Amersham O T H

I think it's rather clear that the Judge is confused about most things. ;)

Posted · Report post

Perhaps the development includes the complete block (built in the mid 1960s)

I wondered about that... The Iceland site isn't big and it is difficult to see where they could locate an underground car park ramp and how an underground car park would be worth it (maybe just a staff car park ?).

But if it was the whole block that would make a more viable size site for them and a more viable size underground car park.

Posted · Report post

I seem to remember reading that Iceland were buying up some of the old Woolworth stores. Strange if they decide to re-open on the other side of the road.

Posted · Report post

I think THE JUDGE has one significant point (amongst many confused and misguided ones) in that parking in Amersham on the Hill is limited. I am often astounded that the car park near Iceland is frequently full by 10 o'clock in the morning, despite season tickets not being valid in there.

David - what goes around comes around eh? Maybe soon we'll be hearing that a newly re-launched Woolies will be opening up in some Sainsbury stores to complete the cycle?

Posted · Report post

car park near Iceland is frequently full by 10 o'clock in the morning

I have NEVER seen the car park at the back of Iceland full. It is always full near the walkway through to Sycamore Road but I've never seen it full over at the far side by the recycling.

Posted · Report post

The only time that I've ever seen that car park full is the last few days before Christmas. Occasionally on a Saturday it's almost full but you can always find parking at the back near the recycling bins. I've been lucky lately and have always found free parking spaces but if I can't then I go in the library car park and get the 30mins free, as it would be an extremely rare occurence when I need to be in Amersham for longer than 30 minutes.

Regarding the Judge he said that he has to park and walk a mile, where does he park in Old Amersham? While I'm lowering myself to mention him, he's apparently offered my name forward to direct car parking in Amersham. Goodo!!

Posted · Report post

I have NEVER seen the car park at the back of Iceland full. It is always full near the walkway through to Sycamore Road but I've never seen it full over at the far side by the recycling.

Zoom - clearly I need to choose the same shopping times as you then!

I have to admit the last few times I've visited Amersham for the shops were immediately before and immediately after Christmas. The first time I was very lucky to seemingly get the last free space in the car park, and the second time I crawled around a bit before giving up and driving to the car park near the library (which admittedly, is hardly a hardship to walk from).

Posted · Report post

Finally, two days after the BFP first 'broke' this story the Examiner has caught up with the local news and has it on their website.

Posted · Report post

Zoom - clearly I need to choose the same shopping times as you then!

:)

I went to Sycamore Road this afternoon... went to the car park around 3pm and the car park wasn't even half full. There were even spaces in the section nearest the lane through to Sycamore Road.

Posted · Report post

It's sounding more likely. Sainsbury already own the site and now the mayor is backing the scheme. See BFP story. (I guess it might be on the Examiner website by Tuesday evening!)

Posted · Report post

Small piece of unsubstantiated gossip that I heard this morning is that the Opticians next door to Iceland is going as well. Sainsbury's will be knocking Iceland and the opticians into 1 larger store. Bit of a shame as I use that opticians and they are very nice and friendly, I just hope that they will open somewhere else in the vicinity.

Posted · Report post

Has anyone any idea at what stage it would become obvious that Cargo was staying or going ?

Posted · Report post

I heard this morning is that the Opticians next door to Iceland is going as well.

Has anyone any idea at what stage it would become obvious that Cargo was staying or going ?

Without going and looking, I can't be sure, but I think the optician's is actually part of the same building as Iceland, whereas Cargo isn't. If so, I would assume the former will almost certainly be swallowed up; as for the latter...?

Posted · Report post

At tonight's AGM of the Resident's Association, a letter from Sainsbury's was read out. They have bought the freehold of the stores currently occupied by Iceland, ChiltonWatson and Cargo. They will be doing a detailed consultation with ~9000 (households and businesses) next month and will then look at more detailed plans, in consultation with CDC, and including additional parking.

Posted · Report post

Ooh err.

Posted · Report post

Iceland have stopped selling my fave pies so i hope sainsburys get the go ahead :P

Posted · Report post

At tonight's AGM of the Resident's Association, a letter from Sainsbury's was read out. They have bought the freehold of the stores currently occupied by Iceland, ChiltonWatson and Cargo. They will be doing a detailed consultation with ~9000 (households and businesses) next month and will then look at more detailed plans, in consultation with CDC, and including additional parking.

Not Cargo? I like Cargo and will miss it. The others I can do without.