St Michaels Church Forecourt Changes

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Under plannign ref CH/2011/1049/FA St Michaels Church in Sycamore Road want to change their frontage. I think it will be an improvment on quite a nice area.

Posted

Here's a link to the specific application, though CDC planning applications are often unavailable late at night (no idea why): https://isa.chiltern...o=LNLM1QES06E00

Click the "Associated Documents" tab for the actual plans etc.

Posted

Some details now in the Bucks Examiner

http://amersham.buckinghamshireadvertiser.co.uk/2012/02/new-town-square-plans-for-amer.html

Matthew Jones - posting from mobile device

Posted

Work has started, and it's all fenced off. I presume it will be finished in time for summer (if we have one).

Posted

Just so long as they haven't decided to turn it into a charity shop!

Posted

The new space was opened at the weekend. "The project features a new labyrinth, quiet garden and performance area, with the new-look entrance to the church featuring angel sculptures created by glass artist Suzanne Raffellini."

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/9862088.New_community_space_unveiled_in_Amersham/

Posted

And easy access to sit in the new space was blocked this morning by a bric a brac sale, which ran right across the entrance.

It was a great shame given the lovely weather.

Posted

At over £140k (or so I'm reliably informed) it seems very poor value for money, but at least the ridiculous 'designer' concrete seating will no doubt help Boots and Superdrugs to sell more Anusol cream!

Posted

The area was looking tired before the work. I have not been able to have a decent look but for the length of time it took and the reported cost I thought it might have been a bigger change, althought perhaps a lot of time and cost relates to foundation type things not easily seen but which will give the area a long life.

Posted

Possibly you could be right Matthew about the foundations etc but they seem to have used very basic materials - ie; the slabs and common bricks. It still seems a huge cost to me for the returns.

Posted

It is a lot of money (actually £185,000 according to the BFP link I posted above), and I agree that it doesn't look startlingly different, though I haven't ventured beyond the pavement, so haven't actually seen the quiet garden, porch, statue, or stained glass window. I thought I'd read something about a new or refurbished community room, but I can't find any mention of that, so may have imagined it.

Posted

If the final bill did come to £185k then it seems even less value for money and quite staggering given the current financial climate and needs of the community as a whole. The real 'benefit' from such a spend is hard to see.

Posted

Missed opportunity. It looks just as drab and inhospitable as it did before. A real shame, especially if the expended sum mentioned about is accurate.

Posted

What about "The Entertainer Corner". It seems Amersham has been completely taken over. The old shop has become an advertising hording for the new one, and it's just waiting for fly-posters. In my opinon, Hill Avenue now looks like as rundown, forgotten town.