Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Saracens Head, Amersham Old Town

9 posts in this topic

Posted

I visited the Saracen's Head pub in Old Amersham recently after not having been for a while and the atmosphere appears to have changed quite a bit (not for the better, in my view) with large groups of loud, mostly young, blokes. Was I unlucky and picked a bad night or is this now the way it is? It used to be a nice, quiet place that served good food.

Posted

I've stopped going to Old Amersham in the evening as I've found it's increasingly full of loud mouthed late teens early 20's who think the entire pub need to know their business. So I'm afraid I don't think it was just that you went on the wrong night!

Posted

The atmosphere has changed. Took my father down there last Friday and it was noisy and packed.

It must be hard to balance finanial necessity with making a nice pub?

Posted

...it was noisy and packed.

It must be hard to balance finanial necessity with making a nice pub?

If it was packed, then evidently there are plenty of people who do think it's a nice pub. It just seems that they and their tastes differ from yours and Eaton's (I haven't been).

Posted

If it was packed, then evidently there are plenty of people who do think it's a nice pub. It just seems that they and their tastes differ from yours and Eaton's (I haven't been).

Absolutely.

I would agree with Jeff that the place has changed, and I'd say that I preferred the old place. But I'd prefer a thriving business to a business going bust. I will pop in again - probably not on a Friday evening. The ambiance may vary from night to night.

K

Posted

i have to say that i am a 23 yr old living in old amersham and would never go out to old amersham... its boring, stale and... boring.... sorry but thats my taste... so every one is different...

Posted

I cant remember exactly but I think it was about 130-200pm and I tried to get food but they said they had stopped serving. Thought that was a bit early to stop food other than that i cant comment, looked nice though from what i remember.

Posted

This thread reminds me of a comment once made by my late aunt.

"Nobody goes because it is so crowded"

Posted

This thread reminds me of a comment once made by my late aunt.

"Nobody goes because it is so crowded"

Hilarious!