Opening Hours Cut At Buckinghamshire Police Stations To Save Money

13 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

http://www.mix96.co.uk/news/local/656304/opening-hours-cut-at-buckinghamshire-police-stations-to-save-money/

One of thehe biggest changes for us is at Chesham, the front desk there is currently open from 10-2 Monday to Friday but in June when the changes kick in will only open for 3 days.

Amersham, which opens 8 hours a day during the week currently, will only open for 4.

Posted · Report post

I wounder how they work out which police stations have what opening hours.

I always thought it is good that police stations be open and have the front desk facility as it is a comfort thing, but in 50 years I have only ever been to Amersham police station front desk once, so is there a need for one at all? Especially with the police web sites and 101 none emergency number.

Posted · Report post

so is there a need for one at all? Especially with the police web sites and 101 none emergency number.

And if a traffic cop gives you a "producer"?

Remember that you don't need to do have done anything wrong, just be stopped.

Posted · Report post

And if a traffic cop gives you a "producer"?

Remember that you don't need to do have done anything wrong, just be stopped.

Do they still hand those out? I presumed that with everything computerised now they'd be able to tap a few buttons and see that you had a MOT, tax, insurance etc.

Posted · Report post

I wounder how they work out which police stations have what opening hours.

I always thought it is good that police stations be open and have the front desk facility as it is a comfort thing, but in 50 years I have only ever been to Amersham police station front desk once, so is there a need for one at all? Especially with the police web sites and 101 none emergency number.

I wonder myself if reducing the hours will have a major impact on services, probably not.I've only ever used one to hand a wallet and purse in.

Posted · Report post

Do they still hand those out? I presumed that with everything computerised now they'd be able to tap a few buttons and see that you had a MOT, tax, insurance etc.

But not if you are who you say you are, and if you personally are insured.

Posted · Report post

But not if you are who you say you are, and if you personally are insured.

Oh I see but presumably if you carry a photo driving license and get stopped you wouldn't get a producer?

Posted · Report post

Roob, they can check if you're insured (at least, DVLA can when you renew your road tax online, so I presume the police can too), so all you really need is photo ID.

The cost of staffing police stations in relation to the small number of visits must be very high, but if they're going to limit the hours, are they picking the right ones? I would expect 10am to 2pm to be fairly quiet.

Posted · Report post

Also does the reduction in opening hours affect the police on the beat at all.For instance if a station is closed does that mean closed to the public or completely closed, so that staff travel from another station?

Posted · Report post

as far as I'm aware the station will be open to staff but not to visiting members of the public. When I lived near Pinner the police station was manned totally by volunteers and it was only open for about 6 hours a day.

Posted · Report post

Roob, they can check if you're insured

No, they can tell if the car is insured, but not if you are covered by the insurance (e.g. "any driver over 25 with owner's permission", or 3rd party's car driven under your own insurance).

Posted · Report post

they can tell if the car is insured,

Thet can't even be sure of that. If the insurance has only recently been renewed the database may not have been updated. Which is why I can often not renew my road tax on-line - the insurance expires just about a wek before the tax.

Posted · Report post

I recently needed to report our bikes stolen (there have been a lot stolen in Amersham recently so be ware. Ours were tied up in our drive!). I called the 0845 number. It was far easier than going to the police station in person for me and probably far more efficient for the police force. I'm in favour of cost saving.