Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Spell Checker For The Forums.

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Our forum software IPB, doesn't include a spell checker and while it can be modified to have one, it does involve faff, which is to be avoided at all costs.

So, for those of you using Internet Explorer or Firefox, can I suggest the Google Toolbar. It contains, amongst other things, a tool for spellchecking stuff you've typed in whitespace boxes such as those you type your messages in here. It does a host of other clever things. Try it and see.

Firefox version (Link now points to the front of this website, as this helps MPJ)

IE version

Unlike some toolbars, you can turn off the vendor reporting features, so that Google can't gather information on you or your searching habits and as such, gets a recommendation from me. Did I mention it's my favourite price too? Free. :)

Paul

edited for spelling. Yes. I know. :)

Edited by PaulEden

Posted · Report post

I did have the spell check feature added to the old forum, but it was a faff to do and makes upgrading harder.

If you want the Firefox tool bar, there is a link on the main Amersham home page, which if selected helps the site! www.amersham.org.uk

Posted · Report post

I did have the spell check feature added to the old forum, but it was a faff to do and makes upgrading harder.

If you want the Firefox tool bar, there is a link on the main Amersham home page, which if selected helps the site! www.amersham.org.uk

I had it installed on my forums and the install faff was minimal, once you get your head around editing the files, but it got broken by a forum software upgrade and I couldn't be bothered to reinstall it. My users (I have rather less than we do here) have, by and large, installed the appropriate toolbar or for IE users, IESpell which has the added attraction of using your local MS Word custom dictionary. I cannot find a Firefox equivalent, though doubtless one exists.

Posted · Report post

Version 2 of Firefox has a spell checker built in though I had to add the word 'Firefox' to it's built in dictionary!