10 replies to this topic

#1 Thurza Child

Thurza Child

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:37 PM

As a new resident needing to get to the airports, my searches on the web suggest the following as reasonably convenient and not too expensive methods:

Heathrow - train to Harrow on the Hill; bus to LHR
Stansted - train to Baker Street or Marylebone; Easybus to Stansted Airport

Any comments or alternative suggestions? (I was told that there was a bus from Oxford to Cambridge that stopped in Amersham and at Stansted but can find no trace of it on the web ...)

Many thanks

#2 Metman

Metman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:01 PM

Definately the Heathrow route. The Met/Chiltern to Harrow and then the 140 bus to Heathrow. The 140 is a 24h service. Stansted is a pain to get to-especially in the early mornings/last evenings

#3 Lucky

Lucky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:08 PM

There is a bus National Express service from Oxford to Stansted which passes through Amersham. It used to stop by the Tesco's roundabout in old town. A few years ago they cancelled the stops in Amersham and Chesham so you have to get to High Wycombe or Hemel instead (you can also connect to Luton in Hemel).

#4 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Interests:Family, Computers, the country side, the good life, pest control (Old Bill Pest Control) & anything diffrent

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:10 PM

There is a bus National Express service from Oxford to Stansted which passes through Amersham. It used to stop by the Tesco's roundabout in old town. A few years ago they cancelled the stops in Amersham and Chesham so you have to get to High Wycombe or Hemel instead (you can also connect to Luton in Hemel).

sound like a nice stroll

#5 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,487 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:15 PM

The train at Berkhamsted stops at Watford where you can change and get the Gatwick Express.
Mel and Co

#6 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:47 PM

If you rule out coaches/busses and enough of you are going (and especially if you don't have Oyster cards) it might be worth considering a taxi to Heathrow. I think I've seen them advertised at under 60, which for 4 people might not be a lot more than train fares, and would certainly be much quicker and simpler.

For all the awful things said about Heathrow, living so near to it, I'd rather go from there than trek to one of the others.

#7 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,487 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:55 PM

If you rule out coaches/busses and enough of you are going (and especially if you don't have Oyster cards) it might be worth considering a taxi to Heathrow. I think I've seen them advertised at under 60, which for 4 people might not be a lot more than train fairs, and would certainly be much quicker and simpler.

For all the awful things said about Heathrow, living so near to it, I'd rather go from there than trek to one of the others.

Desperately trying to remember how much we paid for a cab to Heathrow, it was 30something. A cab to Luton in April was 39. Gatwick and Stansted are about 70.
Mel and Co

#8 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 08:54 AM

I sometimes travel on the met line to finchley road and pick up the national express to stansted,seems to be quicker than going from hemel.You can also go to ricky station then pick up a bus that goes to heathrow airport.You can also get the 336 bus that goes to watford to ricky then pick up this bus to heathrow, 724 I think with Arriva.Think you can get an explorer ticket for 7 that will bring you there on both buses.

#9 roob_the_doob

roob_the_doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 03:38 PM

Taxi to Heathrow with A2Z was about 30 last time we used them (about a year ago). But I'd be inclined to use public transport coming back.

#10 a t o m i c

a t o m i c

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:22 AM

As a new resident needing to get to the airports, my searches on the web suggest the following as reasonably convenient and not too expensive methods:

Heathrow - train to Harrow on the Hill; bus to LHR
Stansted - train to Baker Street or Marylebone; Easybus to Stansted Airport

Any comments or alternative suggestions? (I was told that there was a bus from Oxford to Cambridge that stopped in Amersham and at Stansted but can find no trace of it on the web ...)

Drive yourself and park! Last time we were away for 2 weeks and the parking charge (NCP) at Heathrow was 85ish - really close to the terminal, too.

#11 Thurza Child

Thurza Child

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:56 AM

Well, I have tried my original idea of getting to Stansted ie Chiltern Line to Marylebone and then Easybus (www.easybus.co.uk) to the airport. The pick up point is mid way between Baker Street and Marylebone so one could also take the tube in, although the drop off on the return is nearer to Baker Street.

There is also a National Express coach A6 that appears to take the same route.

Cost: Easybus 14 return, National Express (probably more comfy than the Easybus minibus?) 17.

Last night it was 3 hrs from the plane landing to walking in my front door (including passport control, waiting for luggage etc).