3 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:07 PM

As some may know, I now have the pleasure of getting to Milton Keynes and back each day from Amersham.

I don't drive, so decided to investigate the 353 service bus (route Slough / Berkhamsted) to enable me to pick a train up at Berko for MK.

In the morning, apart from the fact the bus arrives at Berko 2 minutes after my train leaves, there is at least a choice of times.

I checked the evening times. I cannot believe the last bus from Berkhamsted leaves there at 18:05 This makes using the bus to get home for most commuters totally in practical.

Is it any wonder the buses are empty when they don't run when people want them.
It is chicken and egg time. People won't use the buses as they don't run at the right time, the buses won't run at the right time until people use them.

I will have to save up to use taxis!
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on Twitter

Amersham News Views & Information is also on Facebook

Don't forget to read the Forum Rules!

#2 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:38 PM

I would love to be able to use public transport or to be able to easily walk to Amersham when I want to do my shopping.

I live 2 miles from Amersham station. At the moment if I want to visit my parents, I have to either drive 2 miles to Amersham and pay to park. Or get a taxi which is 4. I then have to pay (about 5) to get a train into Harrow and then change onto the Met line and go 2 stops back to Rayners Lane. Then do the opposite on the way home.

If I drive, it takes 35-45 minutes and I'm lovely and comfortable. Plus I can easily take my dog to visit them as well, without worrying that someone somewhere will get uppity that there is a dog on the train or that a cab driver will refuse to have him in their car.

If I want to get a bus, the nearest stop is 1 mile away in Chesham Bois (which if I remember rightly only runs on Monday and Tuesday) and in Waterside which is again 1 mile away.
Mel and Co

#3 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Interests:Family, Computers, the country side, the good life, pest control (Old Bill Pest Control) & anything diffrent

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:26 PM

You both hit the problem on the head. It takes me 20 min to get to Uxbridge in my car, to use public transport even ignoring the walk to and from the station (a good hour) I go to Harrow to then go back to Uxbridge. As for Buses, forget it.

This idea that stations become unmanned, if there is a terrorist or other event that requires evacuation of the station, how do we 'ALL' get out? :( :blink: :unsure:

#4 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:14 PM

I share your frustration Mathew I don't drive either,currently doing lessons as I'm fed up with public transport.I used to get that bus to slough everyday when I was at Slough Uni.Have you noticed the pointless bit of the journey where it does a loop round old amersham.Have a look at the traveline site you might be able to find an easier route.The buses in our area have got better but that 353 is still crap.I'd like it to still run a service in the eveing to, so I could go to berko on saturday evening.I've considered contacting Carousel and mentuionign about the route, also thought of mentioning about the crap service arriva offer for the hemel route.They have in my opinion provided a much better service for the wycombe route than Arriva's 362 service.