#1 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 06:48 PM

I have received the below mail.

Can anyone advise the best place to track down birth records from the 19th century?

The web site http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/archives/ can be useful, but any other suggestions welcome

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

I am trying to obtain some birth information for my great great grandfather who I think was
born in Amersham circa 1836, this, I believe, was before compulsory regiration. His name
was Isaac Almond (Allmond), who married Eliza Devonshire 1855 and died 1887 all events
in Amersham. Can you direct me to where I may get something on his birth

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on Twitter

Amersham News Views & Information is also on Facebook

Don't forget to read the Forum Rules!

#2 Veronica

Veronica

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 08:07 PM

You could try the births and deaths records. I think these are held at Amersham Law Courts. It would be better to phone to confirm this, and also so that they can get the records out of the archives.

I dont know the phone number off the top of my head, but Im sure it is easy to find...

#3 JohnHumm

JohnHumm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 01:42 PM

I've found that once you get back before records began in 1837, the best bet is to try to get a short-list of "possibles" from www.familysearch.org - this is the US site with film and folio records for UK parish records they have microfilmed.

Once you have these, you can go to local archivists and give them specific details. It worked for me tracing a birth record in London in 1802, and I'm about to try a local record dating back to 1788 in Chalfont. I'm told by a very friendly voice at the end of a telephone at the Bucks Archive Library (web address as you have provided) that they hold all the Parish records for the area and can either search for you (for a fee) or you can book a microfilm reader and visit yourself.

Hope this helps.

#4 Giles S

Giles S

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 12:54 AM

The Historian at Chesham Library informed me that parish records for Amersham are held and can be viewed at Aylesbury Library.

Other site to visit are:
Genes Reunited www.genesreunited.com
Freebmd www.freebmd.rootsweb.com
Bucks Family History www.bucksfhs.com

Happy researching

#5 Giles S

Giles S

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:13 PM

Paid a visit to "The Family Records Centre" in Myddelton St, London, EC1 today.

Very impressed, but only able to spend a few hours, but you can search the 1851 - 1891 census free of charge, but they do charge for printing. You can also request copies of Birth, marriage and death certificate, but these are not not available for a minimum of 4 days. I would recommend anyone research their family tree to pay this office a visit, check out www.familyrecords.gov.uk/frc

#6 Dyl

Dyl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 09:31 PM

I've run Isaac Almond through the census records at ancestry.co.uk for you.
There is no-one listed in Amersham, but there are two in Beaconsfield, Bucks
as follows:

Isaac Almond b1834 Living in Beaconsfield
Son of Agricultural Labourer James (b1806)
and wife Salley (b1811) with siblings
Benjamin, Henry, James, Ketty, Levi and William.

Isaac Almond b1834 Living in Beaconsfield
son of Wood Bailiff James (b1804)
and wife Hannah (b1801) [different wife!] and
siblings Benjamin, Henry, James, Kitty[!] and
Levi. (no William)

Not listed

has a different Isaac -
Isaac Almond (wrongly transcr as Alward)
(b1861) son of woodsman William Almond (b1827)
and wife Hannah

has both Isaacs
Isaac Almond (b1835) Publican of the Queens Head
Beaconsfield with wife Catherine

also

Isaac Almond (b1861) Game Keeper boarding in
Beaconsfield with Ezekiel Collins

Don't know if this helps.

Dyl

#7 Guest_Taxi lady_*

Guest_Taxi lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2006 - 10:45 PM

If you are looking for a local Bucks Birth, Death or Marriage you can find all records of these at the Local History Centre at Aylesbury, joined onto the County Hall building..... It is always best to book an appointment as i have been there hundreds of times and never once has it been quiet.( 01296 395000) Civil registration began after June 1837 so there is no point looking on the Ancestry site for the birth...... I am a member on Genes Reunited and searched for Isaac Almond in other peoples trees and came up with 2.... Both born in Beaconsfield one in 1834 and the other in 1832( he may well have been born in Amersham but the birth may have been recorded in Beaconsfield)... It is helpful to remember that earlier census records peoples ages were rounded down or up to the nearest 5 so someone of for instance 17 would be listed as 20......... It may well be the best 10 you have spent in a long while if you join Genes Reunited you may well find a relative or three!!!!!!!!! Good Luck. xxx Just adding i have found the marriage of Isaac and Eliza on the Family Search site, above that there is a birth for an Isaac in Beaconsfield in 1834....... If you obtain the marriage certificate from Aylesbury it will give you the bride and grooms fathers names and that way you can cross reference with the one on the family serach site........

#8 Burrstock

Burrstock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:54 PM

Hello there. My family were Almon born in Beaconsfield. In fact, I myself, my mother and my son were all born there.
There are no readable gravestones for the Almon family in the Parish churchyard.
My 6th great grandfather was Thomas Almon b Beac 1667 and died Beac 1745 and he had 8 children to my knowledge.
William b 1703 was my 5th Great grandfather, Elizabeth my 4th great grandmother b 1727 Beac, married Hughenden Bucks and died 1810 in Radnage village, Bucks. She married John Stone and that family can be traced by googling Stones of Radnage.
Well, we could be related. I am with GenesReunited and ancestry.com. Ann

#9 DogChops

DogChops

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:58 AM

I've been putting together a family tree based on the 19th Century familes of Seer Green; it's still a work in progress, but I have a few Beaconsfield Almonds on line at http://www.gencircle...ysurname?ALMOND
My data comes from a tree submitted to familysearch (already mentioned) and the Beaconsfield Parish Registers CD-ROM (Bucks FHS); there may be a few more Almonds on that that I haven't linked directly in yet - happy to do a look up.

#10 Burrstock

Burrstock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:43 PM

I've been putting together a family tree based on the 19th Century familes of Seer Green; it's still a work in progress, but I have a few Beaconsfield Almonds on line at http://www.gencircle...ysurname?ALMOND
My data comes from a tree submitted to familysearch (already mentioned) and the Beaconsfield Parish Registers CD-ROM (Bucks FHS); there may be a few more Almonds on that that I haven't linked directly in yet - happy to do a look up.

Oh my DogChops, I will rush over and look at your line. I have found that there is a grave in Beaconsfield Churchyard, reference Group X No.D type Cross Kerb Saying ... In affectionate remembrance of HARRY third son of William and Harriet ALMOND. Born February 14th 1854, died October 22nd 1881.

"By day the volice saith come Enter thine eternal home Asking (whether you) can spare this dear soul it summoned there". Cross has been broken and lettering is not in very good condition.

I would like to find out if he is a direct relation to me, obviously. Who knows? He could be your direct relation. As I was born in Beaconsfield, I see so many familiar names in the Censuses as I research. Thank you so much DogChops (are they his cheeks or what he eats?) Ann

#11 DogChops

DogChops

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:35 PM

I have found that there is a grave in Beaconsfield Churchyard, reference Group X No.D type Cross Kerb Saying ... In affectionate remembrance of HARRY third son of William and Harriet ALMOND. Born February 14th 1854, died October 22nd 1881.

I found Harry in the Beaconsfield Registers. William (a woodsman, later a thatcher) and Hannah (this is the name given in the register transcript, rather than Harriet) have several children.
This is their marriage:
15 Dec 1846 William ALMOND, 20, bachelor, Woodman of Beaconsfield, son of James Almond,
Woodman
Hannah BAGLEY, 22, spinster, Lacemaker of Beaconsfield, daughter of Thomas
Bagley, Woodman
Witnesses: William Hare, Eliza Hare

I don't yet have all the Almonds from Beaconsfield linked in to my Seer Green tree, I'd just picked up one who was married into a Seer Green family. The register transcript I have only goes up to 1901, but if you know any ancestors from before then I'm quite happy to do a look up.

#12 historian

historian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:32 PM

Hi,
I am very interested in what has been posted on this website regarding the Almond family. I am researching my family history. My great great grandfather William Almond (born 1815 in Beaconsfield) was a Wood Bailiff. I also have an Isaac Almond in my records (born 1861) and living with Mr and Mrs Collins in the 1881 census. I would love to know if anyone has any info on the Almonds. I especially want to find out about Isaac as I remember as a child seeing a memorial card for him. I feel there must be connections and look forward to any replies. Anne.