72 replies to this topic

#31 struthie

struthie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:15 PM

We popped in this evening for a quick meal. While talking to a waitress we were informed of the rules, which are:

No hats or workman's clothing and no entry after 10.30pm, even if you've just nipped out for a quick smoke.

After being told that I tucked my legs back in under the table, as I'd come straight from work and had rather muddy trouser ankles and my boots weren't too clean either. :D

Oh you are naughty :P

#32 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Interests:Family, Computers, the country side, the good life, pest control (Old Bill Pest Control) & anything diffrent

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:58 PM

We popped in this evening for a quick meal. While talking to a waitress we were informed of the rules, which are:

No hats or workman's clothing and no entry after 10.30pm, even if you've just nipped out for a quick smoke.

After being told that I tucked my legs back in under the table, as I'd come straight from work and had rather muddy trouser ankles and my boots weren't too clean either. :D

BUT,

Did you enjoy?

#33 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:36 AM

BUT,

Did you enjoy?

Oh yes, it's about the 6th time I've been in there and the second time that Alf's been there. The food is good and plentiful. It's not fine dining, but I really can't fault the food or service.
Mel and Co

#34 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:31 PM

Noticed that they've got a review in the Bucks Examiner this week, as usual they've given it the thumb's up but on this occasion I have to say that I agree with them!
Mel and Co

#35 struthie

struthie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 07:56 AM

Noticed that they've got a review in the Bucks Examiner this week, as usual they've given it the thumb's up but on this occasion I have to say that I agree with them!

I saw that,Mel other half asked if you and me are going to enter the pudding competition,cheeky so and so!!

#36 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:04 AM

Pubs always have nicknames, we've always known it as the The Peasant. After the landlord insisted on correcting my (intentional) mispronunciation of the name of the Nigerian Arsenal player Nwankwo Kanu, we began to call it The Pedant. Well, it was uproariously funny at the time. Perhaps unsuprisingly for the occupants of a pub, we were a bit tiddly. :)
As for food, yes, I like it in there too. Reference the fireplace; boy that thing puts out some heat!

#37 struthie

struthie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:35 AM

We always called it the peasant,or pleasant pheasant,very silly!!

#38 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:42 AM

I saw that,Mel other half asked if you and me are going to enter the pudding competition,cheeky so and so!!

Well I would, but even I wouldn't eat a pudding every day for a year. Although I do wonder if you can just go in and claim your free pudding or if you have to eat a main course as well!

I picked the Pleasant Pheasant nickname from Struthie and Alf's picked it up from me!
Mel and Co

#39 struthie

struthie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:05 PM

Well I would, but even I wouldn't eat a pudding every day for a year. Although I do wonder if you can just go in and claim your free pudding or if you have to eat a main course as well!

I picked the Pleasant Pheasant nickname from Struthie and Alf's picked it up from me!

Yes other half said to me could I eat a pudding every day and even I couldn't manage one a day!

#40 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Interests:Family, Computers, the country side, the good life, pest control (Old Bill Pest Control) & anything diffrent

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:53 PM

Doubt I could do one or two a year :rolleyes:

#41 gazza13

gazza13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 04:04 PM

We walked over to White Lion Road to post a note to somebody.

Okay it was pouring with rain, but it was boring staying in.

On the way back we thought we'd give The Pheasant a go for a pint. Unfortunately the dog wasn't welcome, so other than standing outside in the rain with the smokers, we moved on. Looks good though and the girl behind the bar was friendly enough.

#42 roob_the_doob

roob_the_doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:51 PM

Went there for lunch yesterday. As already commented, it's not haute cuisine, but it's not bad value at all - 6.95 for a Sunday roast is about as cheap as I've seen locally. If you want to go out for a cheap pub meal, it's definitely one to keep on the list. But I wouldn't recommend it if you're in a hurry. Maybe we were unlucky, but service was rather slow.

#43 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:43 PM

We walked over to White Lion Road to post a note to somebody.

Okay it was pouring with rain, but it was boring staying in.

On the way back we thought we'd give The Pheasant a go for a pint. Unfortunately the dog wasn't welcome, so other than standing outside in the rain with the smokers, we moved on. Looks good though and the girl behind the bar was friendly enough.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

#44 gazza13

gazza13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:35 PM

It was a close run thing I can tell you.

#45 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:39 PM

It was a close run thing I can tell you.

"was"?! Do you know something that we mortals don't? :unsure:

#46 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:59 PM

My point, in a very roundabout way, not a Zebedee or Florence type thing though. :rolleyes: :lol: :P B) :D :)

#47 Carl La Fong

Carl La Fong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:57 AM

A very brief visit yesterday, just for sussing out purposes more than anything else. A nice drop of London Pride, and not a bad place at all, but a bit odd in some ways. The decor and general ambience.... it all seemed a bit like some pubs I used to go to in about 1978 or so. I don't mean that in a nasty way as obviously it was all fairly new, but perhaps there is a untapped niche market there for retro-70s chic. They could usefully complement this by changing the menu to authentic 70s fare such as chicken or scampi served in a basket.

I'm not knocking the place, honestly - I rather liked it, but I as I've said, I had this feeling of deja-vue from 30 or so years ago. Anyone who is reading Jonathan Coe's "The Rotters Club" and can't quite get a handle on the setting should perhaps pop along to soak in the atmosphere and to see some real life confirmation of what a little bit of the 70s was like.
Give me non-stop laughter, dispel disaster, or the Rotters Club might well lop off your ears.

#48 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 06:33 PM

A very brief visit yesterday, just for sussing out purposes more than anything else. A nice drop of London Pride, and not a bad place at all, but a bit odd in some ways. The decor and general ambience.... it all seemed a bit like some pubs I used to go to in about 1978 or so. I don't mean that in a nasty way as obviously it was all fairly new, but perhaps there is a untapped niche market there for retro-70s chic. They could usefully complement this by changing the menu to authentic 70s fare such as chicken or scampi served in a basket.

I'm not knocking the place, honestly - I rather liked it, but I as I've said, I had this feeling of deja-vue from 30 or so years ago. Anyone who is reading Jonathan Coe's "The Rotters Club" and can't quite get a handle on the setting should perhaps pop along to soak in the atmosphere and to see some real life confirmation of what a little bit of the 70s was like.

I can sort of see what you mean, but the beer choice is greater and the food more diverse. To me 70's was a moped, finishing school before starting a proper job and underage drinking during '76 when we had the heatwave summer, 'share a bath with a friend' and as for prices!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#49 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 06:40 PM

I can sort of see what you mean, but the beer choice is greater and the food more diverse. To me 70's was a moped, finishing school before starting a proper job and underage drinking during '76 when we had the heatwave summer, 'share a bath with a friend' and as for prices!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My sentiments entirely, I don't suppose you can get a pint of lager there for 35 pence.

#50 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 06:48 PM

My sentiments entirely, I don't suppose you can get a pint of lager there for 35 pence.

We wish
1976 I seem to remember 4 pints for a pound, 40 fags for a pound and 2 gallons for 1.20, three part time jobs and 15 quid a week, then started work with police as a cadet and dropped to 11 PW.

Watch that lamp swing (police expression about blue lamps and old sweats) & some might have smelt that way! :)

#51 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 06:54 PM

The quote is gazza13's space :rolleyes:

#52 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:08 PM

This was the first pub I ever went to and spent alot of my teenage years in.Visited this pub a few weeks back,think it looks nice inside,friendly barman,just didnt think much of the atmosphere.Seemed to be like the kind of pub where a fight is just about to kick off.

#53 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:12 PM

This was the first pub I ever went to and spent alot of my teenage years in.Visited this pub a few weeks back,think it looks nice inside,friendly barman,just didnt think much of the atmosphere.Seemed to be like the kind of pub where a fight is just about to kick off.

Its obviously not changed a great deal atmosphere wise then since I first visited it in 1974.

#54 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 03:20 PM

Went with family and friends last month on a Sunday Lunch time, the food was very good, the staff very friendly, service was a little slower than expected, but that was in our favour as the day was unrushed. 7 of us ate and drank for around 128:)

#55 struthie

struthie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 05:34 PM

Myself and Eaton have been here many times recently,and I can say that the food is always very good,and the service is too.
Once it was quite slow but only the once.

And they usually are good at making sure Mel has no lettuce in her burger!!

#56 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:11 PM

It transpired at tonight's Residents' Association AGM that The Pheasant has applied to have its licence extended by an hour on Fridays and Saturdays - food and sitting outside were mentioned. If anyone in the vicinity has strong views, I suggest you look at the CDC website for details: there is still time to submit views, apparently.

#57 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:30 AM

I have strong views on the quality of their food based on the last two occasions that I've eaten there - yuk!!!
Mel and Co

#58 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:06 AM

Myself and Eaton have been here many times recently,and I can say that the food is always very good,and the service is too.

I have strong views on the quality of their food based on the last two occasions that I've eaten there - yuk!!!

Now I'm confused!

#59 struthie

struthie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:26 PM

The last time myself and Mel went there it was awful.The food used to be excellent well it isn't now so we now go elsewhere.

#60 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:18 PM

The last time myself and Mel went there it was awful.The food used to be excellent well it isn't now so we now go elsewhere.

Since I last went there has been a change of management and Kitchen staff, maybe that is the reason?