72 replies to this topic

#61 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:05 PM

Since I last went there has been a change of management and Kitchen staff, maybe that is the reason?

As far as I know the present manager has been in place since Autumn and it was fine until February when it all went horribly wrong. Some of the sandwiches don't even match their description on the menu and the chips (last time) were grotesque. We should have complained but I suppose we thought that the virtually untouched plate of food would say it all, particularly as Struthie and I used to meet in there every fortnight so they know us and how much we normally eat but we decided to vote with our feet and not visit again for a while.

I have a simple rule with food establishments, to have one dodgy meal is reasonable, to have a second means I don't go back for a while and if the third meal is horrendous then I never go back. So at the moment I'm on the 2nd strike, which means that I'll give it a few months before trying it again.
Mel and Co

#62 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:37 PM

I have a simple rule with food establishments, to have one dodgy meal is reasonable, to have a second means I don't go back for a while and if the third...

You're much more charitable than I am. There is no shortage of good eateries in the area, at a range of prices, so if somewhere isn't up to scratch, why risk it a third time?

#63 struthie

struthie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:52 AM

I doubt I will risk the pheasant again to be honest!
Had a lovely meal at The Boot and Slipper a couple of weeks ago,and of course The Eagle in Old Amersham is always great for pub food.

#64 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:13 AM

You're much more charitable than I am. There is no shortage of good eateries in the area, at a range of prices, so if somewhere isn't up to scratch, why risk it a third time?

I doubt I will risk the pheasant again to be honest!
Had a lovely meal at The Boot and Slipper a couple of weeks ago,and of course The Eagle in Old Amersham is always great for pub food.

Struthie and I meet there because it's local and convenient, not because we expect the finest cuisine, however I do expect the food to be edible. I wait a while and then try again for a third time in case they've changed their kitchen staff and it's improved.

Sadly the Boot and Slipper has had it's 3 strikes and it's out! They like to serve fried eggs that look like plastic magnets (I kid ye not you could have played frisby with them) although in my experience of the B & S they are likely to be more appetising that the real thing!
Mel and Co

#65 jkracing

jkracing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 03:49 PM

id love to pop in there for a quick drink but i find that the bar area is to small and i always feel im walking into someones private room due to the way the seats are postioned and the people sitting around it all seem to be best buddys, and the resturant bit is always empty,

#66 struthie

struthie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 03:51 PM

I was persuaded by Mel to try here again,and the food was really nice,let's hope it was just a one off blip!

#67 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:39 PM

Alan has heard the following:

spoke to a member of staff at the Pheasant today and it appears it will be changing to a Thai Restaurant

If it happens then I won't go there again as I don't like Thai food.
Mel and Co

#68 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:23 PM

I spoke to one of the barmaids in The Pheasant today and it appears that Alan is correct it will be changing into a Thai Restaurant. However, she doesn't know when or even if it will still be a pub that serves Thai food or a Thai restaurant where you can't go just for a drink.
Mel and Co

#69 PaulAmersham

PaulAmersham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:39 AM

I spoke to one of the barmaids in The Pheasant today and it appears that Alan is correct it will be changing into a Thai Restaurant. However, she doesn't know when or even if it will still be a pub that serves Thai food or a Thai restaurant where you can't go just for a drink.

Any news on The Pheasant's future? I still haven't had the courage to go inside (the hoodies outside aren't the best welcome party). I'd be interested to know if anyone has been in recently and if so whether it's any good.

#70 struthie

struthie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:23 AM

Have been in twice recently and told no food until much later so went elsewhere,given up now.

#71 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:23 AM

Any news on The Pheasant's future? I still haven't had the courage to go inside (the hoodies outside aren't the best welcome party). I'd be interested to know if anyone has been in recently and if so whether it's any good.

It's still open and still has it's original menu ie, not Thai, occasionally! I say occasionally because despite advertising that it serves food all day I've been in there twice recently once at 5pm (when we were told food wouldn't start until 6pm) and once at 7pm on a Friday evening when we were told that they weren't serving food at all that night.

It's not particularly welcoming when you see people hanging around outside but when you get in it's actually quite pleasant, it's just a shame that they can't get their act together on whether or not they will be serving food, all day or at all.
Mel and Co

#72 PaulAmersham

PaulAmersham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:22 AM

It's still open and still has it's original menu ie, not Thai, occasionally! I say occasionally because despite advertising that it serves food all day I've been in there twice recently once at 5pm (when we were told food wouldn't start until 6pm) and once at 7pm on a Friday evening when we were told that they weren't serving food at all that night.

It's not particularly welcoming when you see people hanging around outside but when you get in it's actually quite pleasant, it's just a shame that they can't get their act together on whether or not they will be serving food, all day or at all.

Thanks for all the useful info everyone - much appreciated. I may muster the courage to try it.....

#73 Bawbag

Bawbag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:16 PM

We ate at The Pheasant at the weekend. Not the most salubrious of places I admit and it was dead (Sunday 12.30pm), but we stuck to the basics (low risk stuff) and got the four of us fed and watered for well under 30 - seriously cheap for anywhere in the country, never mind Amersham. The scampi was only 2.99, as were a few other dishes, you pay that for a coffee in many places!

I've had far worse food and been charged far more, so all in all a cautious thumbs up.