• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 isabel

isabel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 05:29 PM

I am intrigued to know if anyone else was born in Shardeloes about the time I was.
It was in August 1945, just when war ended.

I am now and have been living in Sussex for the past 36 years.

Isabel

#2 sejintenej

sejintenej

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 03:38 PM

Isobel wrote:

I am intrigued to know if anyone else was born in Shardeloes about the time I was.

A bit before your time - I was born there about 2 days before the visit of HM The Queen (later HRH The Queen Mother) in mid June 1943.

I did hard time at a school in mid Sussex but otherwise have generally managed to avoid that county and Herts.

HTH

s.i.n

#3 Dot

Dot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:52 PM

Hi Isabel
Just found your message about people born in Shardeloes during the war. I was born there in January 1944. I do not know how long my mum and I was there. From there my mum took me down to Devon where we stayed with relatives. Again I do not know how long we were there. Then we went back home to Forest Hill in London where I lived for 23 years and I now live in Grove Park which is in London. I cannot ask my mum anything as she is no longer with us, but I was always led to believe that it was Sir Frances Drake's house.
Dot.

#4 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 11:48 AM

I cannot ask my mum anything as she is no longer with us, but I was always led to believe that it was Sir Frances Drake's house.
Dot.

I am afraid the house had nothing to do with Sir Francis Drake

Shardeloes was the ancestral home of the Tyrwhitt Drake family, the Lord of the Manor.
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on Twitter

Amersham News Views & Information is also on Facebook

Don't forget to read the Forum Rules!

#5 Michael from Wembley

Michael from Wembley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:06 AM

Isabel

My sister was born in Shardeloes in January 1940. We were living in Amersham on the Hill at the time. I was less than two and I can remember walking in the snow to visit them. I have other vague memories of Amersham at the time. We lived there for about a year in a shed in the garden of a large house but I do not know the address. I now live in East Sussex but my sister has recently moved to the Burgundy region of France.

#6 Vivienne

Vivienne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 01:27 PM

I was born in Shardeloes on 18th April 1945. (oops you were quite right - 1945 is the year of my birth. It is very very hot here today and late in the afternoon, my brain is a bit slow - Thank you Fran)I am currently resident in South Africa. As we emmigrated to SA when I was 6 years old I have never been able to visit Shardeloes. It looks beautiful from the pictures on the web.

Thank you for the info, it really is good to know where ones roots are. I hope one day to visit the site of my birth.

#7 MichaelHammond

MichaelHammond

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:05 AM

My mother and eldest brother were evacuated to Chalfont St Peter during the War (my father was in the City of London Police). My middle brother was born at Shardeloes in 1942, I was born there in June 1945.

Having just retired, I'm planning to go back to see the house for the first time since then, joining up with former colleagues and friends for a walk in the area this Spring.

Michael

#8 Janet

Janet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:58 PM

My mother and eldest brother were evacuated to Chalfont St Peter during the War (my father was in the City of London Police). My middle brother was born at Shardeloes in 1942, I was born there in June 1945.

Having just retired, I'm planning to go back to see the house for the first time since then, joining up with former colleagues and friends for a walk in the area this Spring.

Michael

Hi Michael

Am a brand new member, guess what? I was born in Shardeloes in October 1940. My Father was also in the London Police, whats the betting they knew each other. My mother always said it was the home of Francis Drake - Mathew has just blown that theory and my claim to fame. I have never seen the house apart from photos and a walk in the spring sounds like a good idea. I live in Tunbridge Wells so its not too far.

#9 Janet

Janet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:07 AM

I am afraid the house had nothing to do with Sir Francis Drake

Shardeloes was the ancestral home of the Tyrwhitt Drake family, the Lord of the Manor.

After reading the messages of those born in Shardeloes, I was actually wondering how many people were born there during the war? I bet there is enough for a great re-union. janet

#10 Ruth

Ruth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:41 AM

I was born in Shardeloes too, in August 1942. A friend of my Mother`s had her daughter there
in Novemeber 1942 .

I understand that about 3,000 babies were born there

Has anyone more information about this time.

My Mother told of how she used to go for walks with the pram to Chalfont St. Peter I wondered
how long the mothers stayed after having their babies, and what the part of Shardeloes was
like where they stayed.

#11 laurie

laurie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:23 AM

<_<

Hi Michael

Am a brand new member, guess what? I was born in Shardeloes in October 1940. My Father was also in the London Police, whats the betting they knew each other. My mother always said it was the home of Francis Drake - Mathew has just blown that theory and my claim to fame. I have never seen the house apart from photos and a walk in the spring sounds like a good idea. I live in Tunbridge Wells so its not too far.

I havn't been a member for very long,though have always had a great love for Shardeloes. I was born there Feb 1st 1946, possibly one of the last 'batch'.? My mother told me that they always joked about the bell which used to hang over the stable block. It was/is cracked apparently and would chime 'ding,bonk.ding,bonk. They refered to mit as a man with a wooden leg. She also told me that anyone who was 'overdue' would be taken to the end of the drive and made to walk back. This apparently usually had the desired effect.
Laurie

#12 Ruth

Ruth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 07:58 AM

Thanks for more information, each bit is interesting I found a picture of the clock

Tried to upload the picture but couldn`t

#13 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:40 PM

Thanks for more information, each bit is interesting I found a picture of the clock

Tried to upload the picture but couldn`t

If you email the picture to amersham at amersham

I can upload it for you
Matthew P Jones

#14 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:48 PM

The pictre in question is on the main site already

Posted Image

Shardeloes Page
Matthew P Jones

#15 Ruth

Ruth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:25 PM

Many thanks Mathew

#16 peter j

peter j

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 02:42 PM

I was born at Shardeloes on 14th February 1942, however I was not aware of this until 1989 when I obtained a copy of my original birth certificate. I knew that I had been adopted but had no knowledge of my natural family. My birth certificate revealed that I was born at Shardeloes and that my Mother's name was Catherine Inwood. After my birth my Mother convalesced a short time at Corner Cottage on Hervines Road, Amersham before she and I returned to London. My Mother then obtained employment with the LLC to work at a Childrens' home named "Little Mariners" at Crockham Hill, Kent, and she and I went to live there. Little Mariners was a beautiful manor house situated very close to Sir Winston Churchill's home Chartwell. After living there only a short time Little Mariners was bombed by incendiaries and destroyed. Fortunately on that occasion there was no loss of life as all the occupants were sheltering in air-raid shelters. The children were than moved a short distance away to another large manor house named "Weald House". Just a couple of months later in the early hours of 30th June 1944 Weald House was hit by a doodlebug causing the deaths of twenty-one children all under three years of age, along with eight female staff, my Mother included. I believe I am one of only two or three children to survive. A year later, I was adopted and taken to the North of England. Initially when I became aware that I had been born at the stately home Shardeloes, I believe I had illusions of grandeur, but nothing could have prepared me for the sad story which was slowly revealed.

#17 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Interests:Family, Computers, the country side, the good life, pest control (Old Bill Pest Control) & anything diffrent

Posted 24 May 2008 - 03:40 PM

Peter that is a sad story and yet a great story of phoenix style. Just makes you realise how delicate life is, and how grateful we should be for what we have.

#18 Paul Trumper

Paul Trumper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 02:46 PM

Isabel

I was born in Shardeloes in August 1943, please see the attached photo. My family moved to Kent around 1950, where I lived until the year 2000. I now live in The Netherlands.

Attached Files

#19 tjm

tjm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:15 AM

Hi all,
I was born 14th August 1942 at Shardeloes and have been trying to find answers to the following: What was the criteria for mothers to have their babies there? ( My mother lived in Croydon with my father overseas in the army, his parents lived at Marlow, fairly close? My mothers parents were living in Southall.) Also, most importantly, were the babies christened whilst there?
Terry M.

#20 Ruth

Ruth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:08 AM

Hi TJM, we may have been at Shardeloes at the same time, as I was born on the 19th August 1942.
A close friend of my Mother`s also lived in Bermondsey and had a child at Shardeloes in November

I wasn`t Christened there but in Bermondsey South London.

The only reason I can see for my Mother being taken to Bucks was that we lived close
to Surrey Docks and the area was being bombed. This maybe the case for many others.

My husbands Mother was taken to Woking and from there she went to Cornwall to escape the
bombing.

Mothers do seem to have come from many different areas.

#21 Jeanie

Jeanie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 08:20 PM

Hello,

I was born in Shardeloes on 5th January, 1947 - surely one of the last to be born there?! I've always assumed that the reason for this was that wartime conditions still prevailed and although my parents lived in Blackheath my mum was effectively evacuated to Amersham.

The husband and I went to our local Picturehouse last Sunday to see "Live Wires & Love Letters", a collection of publicity films made for the G.P.O. between 1936 and 1939. Lo and behold! There in one of them was Shardeloes, looking very grand and completely unsuited to imminent conversion to a maternity hospital. Does anyone have any idea why this place was chosen? And what part the then owners played in the decision? I'd be fascinated to know.

Jeanie

#22 Vera Bristol

Vera Bristol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:40 PM

Hello,

I was born in Shardeloes on 5th January, 1947 - surely one of the last to be born there?! I've always assumed that the reason for this was that wartime conditions still prevailed and although my parents lived in Blackheath my mum was effectively evacuated to Amersham.

The husband and I went to our local Picturehouse last Sunday to see "Live Wires & Love Letters", a collection of publicity films made for the G.P.O. between 1936 and 1939. Lo and behold! There in one of them was Shardeloes, looking very grand and completely unsuited to imminent conversion to a maternity hospital. Does anyone have any idea why this place was chosen? And what part the then owners played in the decision? I'd be fascinated to know.

Jeanie

I have just come accross this site and find it facinating as I was born in Shardeloes on 26 May 1941. At the time my mother was staying in Alyesbury with her sister as my father was fighting overseas, I dont know why she went to Shardeloes maybe it was the nearest maternity hospital. Soon after I was born she came back to Bristol to be with the rest of her family, where I have lived ever since.

Vera

#23 don paterson

don paterson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 04:21 PM

Isabel

i was born at shardeloes on 23 may 1944 at the time my mother was living at clapham london while at shardeloes she met another woman who lived in a nearby road in clapham she gave birth to a boy on 31 may 1944 iwent to the same schools as him when we left shardeloes we went to wiltshire to stay with relatives i would to know how long we were at shardeloes what date my mother arrived and how she got there
don

Edited by PaulEden, 31 December 2009 - 03:17 PM.
all capitals post changed to lower case

#24 Maureen

Maureen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:10 AM

I was born at Shardeloes in June 1943. My mother was living with her parents at the Elephant and Castle in South London as my father was serving in the army. She was cared for by Guy's Hospital and at the time the mothers were transported to Amersham for the birth due to the bombings in London.
Unfortunately my mother passed away some 28 years ago and I bitterly regret that I didn't ask her for more information. I would dearly love to know the time of day I was born - does anyone know where to access any records? Also I would like to know if they were all ferried there together?

My mother also told me that the house had been the home of Sir Francis Drake - I guess this confusion has arisen because of the Tyrwhitt-Drake name?

I am visiting Amersham tomorrow (to attend a funeral) and am going to visit Shardeloes, which I understand has been converted into very luxurious apartments.

Maureen.

#25 don paterson

don paterson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:07 AM

Maureen Like you I would like very much to see the records for Shardeloes. Is there anyone out there who can tell us how to access them bearing in mind that this was before the formation of the NHS.Were mothers charged for their treatment and stay. Don.

#26 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:06 AM

Try the National Records Office at Kew. You can email them from their website with any questions which will save a possibly fruitless journey.
Mel and Co

#27 don paterson

don paterson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:36 PM

I contacted the National Archives and they referred me to the Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies.They told me that Shardeloes was open as a maternity hospital between 3rd September 1939 and 10 th february 1948.Patients were sent there by the London County Council and somewhere between 3000 and 5000 babies were born there. No records of patients survive. Don

#28 Maureen

Maureen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:43 PM

I found my visit to Shardeloes very emotional - it is the most beautiful stately home - fantastic views - sheep and horses in the fields. Wasn't able to go inside but looked through the glass front doors into a very large entrance hall - guess it is now a communal place for the occupants of the apartments. Very strange imagining my mother in that room and on those steps - maybe!!

I have spoken to my mother's sister (who is now 75) and she says that she can remember coming to visit with my father (she would have been 10) and that they walked to the hospital from the station (it is a very, very long walk) having got the train from Waterloo. She also came with him to take us home and they got a taxi that time.

I am very happy that I have been there.

Maureen.

#29 gamitchell

gamitchell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:07 PM

Isabel

Hi Isabel i am glad i found this site. I to am one of many kids born at Shardelos. My Mother was a british but my father was a Canadian. I was born there April 3 1946. Would love to know if any other babies came to Canada. I live in Toronto Ontario. Thanks graeme

#30 dravidham

dravidham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:09 PM

I was born at Shardeloes on 14th February 1942, however I was not aware of this until 1989 when I obtained a copy of my original birth certificate. I knew that I had been adopted but had no knowledge of my natural family. My birth certificate revealed that I was born at Shardeloes and that my Mother's name was Catherine Inwood. After my birth my Mother convalesced a short time at Corner Cottage on Hervines Road, Amersham before she and I returned to London. My Mother then obtained employment with the LLC to work at a Childrens' home named "Little Mariners" at Crockham Hill, Kent, and she and I went to live there. Little Mariners was a beautiful manor house situated very close to Sir Winston Churchill's home Chartwell. After living there only a short time Little Mariners was bombed by incendiaries and destroyed. Fortunately on that occasion there was no loss of life as all the occupants were sheltering in air-raid shelters. The children were than moved a short distance away to another large manor house named "Weald House". Just a couple of months later in the early hours of 30th June 1944 Weald House was hit by a doodlebug causing the deaths of twenty-one children all under three years of age, along with eight female staff, my Mother included. I believe I am one of only two or three children to survive. A year later, I was adopted and taken to the North of England. Initially when I became aware that I had been born at the stately home Shardeloes , I believe I had illusions of grandeur, but nothing could have prepared me for the sad story which was slowly revealed.

Hi I was born at Shardeloes on 21st November 1942, my brother was born at The Hoo Great Gaddesden as we were not of our mothers marriage we no nothing about these Manor Houses , I have only just met up with my brother for the first time I am 66 and have only just bothered to get my full certificate
and noticed the name Shardeloes.