8 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:45 PM

All the information you need to get walking in the beautiful Buckinghamshire countryside.

More than 20 free Walk descriptions to download, free of charge
www.walkinginbucks.co.uk/
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on Twitter

Amersham News Views & Information is also on Facebook

Don't forget to read the Forum Rules!

#2 gazza13

gazza13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:51 PM

All the information you need to get walking in the beautiful Buckinghamshire countryside.

More than 20 free Walk descriptions to download, free of charge
www.walkinginbucks.co.uk/

I can recomend the Cholesbury walk, we did this recently, and had a drink in the Rose and Crown on the way back, which is one of the best 16 pubs in Britain according to CAMRA. The beer was certainly excellently kept. The Full Moon is good as well although more of a food pub.

#3 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,487 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 29 February 2008 - 03:45 PM

I know one of the people that compiled these and even (dare I say it) proof read a couple. Some of them walk through the fields behind my barn and I can thoroughly recommend them.
Mel and Co

#4 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,146 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:42 PM

For those that haven't clicked to any specific walks, they are produced by a variety of different people and organisations in different formats. Some of them, including the Amersham one, have a lot of interesting detail about the architecture and natural features you will see on the walk (possibly some bits for the Wikipedia page, Paul?).

And if anyone spots any typos in the Chesham ones, we know who to tell. ;)

#5 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:39 PM

And if anyone spots any typos in the Chesham ones, we know who to tell. ;)

I wasn't checking for typos I was checking that the walk description was accurate! I'd like to say that it was my idea to add pubs etc to the walks, but it would be untrue. However, it's an excellent idea as I always have 20 tucked in my phone, just in case I get lost while out walking and want a drink/the toilet/food, as happened all too often when we first moved here!
Mel and Co

#6 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Interests:Family, Computers, the country side, the good life, pest control (Old Bill Pest Control) & anything diffrent

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:03 PM

I wasn't checking for typos I was checking that the walk description was accurate! I'd like to say that it was my idea to add pubs etc to the walks, but it would be untrue. However, it's an excellent idea as I always have 20 tucked in my phone, just in case I get lost while out walking and want a drink/the toilet/food, as happened all too often when we first moved here!

Thats alot of information :D

#7 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,146 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:45 PM

I wasn't checking for typos I was checking that the walk description was accurate!

Ah, a definitional discrepancy. :)

I'd like to say that it was my idea to add pubs etc to the walks, but it would be untrue. However, it's an excellent idea as I always have 20 tucked in my phone, just in case I get lost while out walking and want a drink/the toilet/food, as happened all too often when we first moved here!

Certainly having pubs etc marked is a good idea, and 20 should buy you a pretty decent unplanned meal.

#8 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:56 PM

Certainly having pubs etc marked is a good idea, and 20 should buy you a pretty decent unplanned meal.

It started out as 5 because I felt bad if I needed the toilet and didn't have any money to buy a drink. I then realised that 5 ICE really wasn't enough money if I really got lost and needed to get a cab home or the car had run out of petrol and I didn't have my purse only my phone and so it became 20.

I've never needed it, but it's good to know that it's there.
Mel and Co

#9 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Interests:Family, Computers, the country side, the good life, pest control (Old Bill Pest Control) & anything diffrent

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:42 PM

It started out as 5 because I felt bad if I needed the toilet and didn't have any money to buy a drink. I then realised that 5 ICE really wasn't enough money if I really got lost and needed to get a cab home or the car had run out of petrol and I didn't have my purse only my phone and so it became 20.

I've never needed it, but it's good to know that it's there.

Contingency planning, very wise, but I couldn't let my kids know it was there. :lol: