Photo

Where Were You Before You Came To Amersham?

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

Poll: Moved To Amersham or Born in Amersham (Area) (66 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you always lived in Amersham or did you move to Amersham

1. Always lived In Amersham (8 votes [12.12%])

Percentage of vote: 12.12%

2. Moved to Amersham (53 votes [80.30%])

Percentage of vote: 80.30%

3. Just staying / working In Amersham (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Lived Amersham, but moved away (4 votes [6.06%])

Percentage of vote: 6.06%

5. Would like to live in Amersham (1 votes [1.52%])

Percentage of vote: 1.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:26 AM

London, Edmonton N9

(and before that, London, Ealing W13)

#2 MarkD

MarkD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:36 AM

Pinner, HA5
(for 18 years, then Northwood HA6 and Ruislip HA4 for 2-4 years each). Not quite made it to Amersham yet - I live in Seer Green, but that's near enough surely!

#3 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 24 May 2008 - 09:46 AM

I grew up in RG9 (near Henley), went to Bristol university (BS8), married and moved to Hemel (HP1) and briefly lived in Chesham (HP7) en route to Amersham. I've never lived in Middlesex or Ealing!

#4 struthie

struthie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:52 AM

HP6 Amersham all of my life,born at Amersham hospital in 1973.

#5 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:14 AM

Born in my parents front bedroom in Rayners Lane HA2, then Harrow HA1 for 7 years, then back to Rayners Lane HA2 for 7 years finally moved to HP5 in 2005.
Mel and Co

#6 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Interests:Family, Computers, the country side, the good life, pest control (Old Bill Pest Control) & anything diffrent

Posted 24 May 2008 - 01:09 PM

London, Edmonton N9

Born Stirling, Scotland, grew up Croxley Green WD3, Lived in Harrow HA3 before moving here.

#7 Paul Capewell

Paul Capewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:18 PM

High Wycombe hospital, then HP7 9DH for the first 18 years, now HP7 9BT for the most recent five. (With a few spells in NZ along the way).

#8 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:22 PM

Born and bred in HP6. Actually born in the house I still live in. Had spell away at boarding school in Coventry(!) and univeristy in London

Just out of interest, I have added a poll to this topic
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on Twitter

Amersham News Views & Information is also on Facebook

Don't forget to read the Forum Rules!

#9 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Interests:Family, Computers, the country side, the good life, pest control (Old Bill Pest Control) & anything diffrent

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:22 PM

High Wycombe hospital, then HP7 9DH for the first 18 years, now HP7 9BT for the most recent five. (With a few spells in NZ along the way).

NZ lucky you :D

#10 Fiery Jack

Fiery Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:10 PM

Ignoring places where I spent less than 6 months:

Born in Queens Park NW6 - Wealdstone HA3 - various spots in London as a student - Kilmarnock - Dundonald - Montreal - Dundonald - Montreal - Carlisle - Chester - Brussels - Berkhamsted - Amersham

#11 Old Resident

Old Resident

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Cake decorating and anything to do with cooking.

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:45 PM

London, Edmonton N9

Actually born in Palmers Green Town Hall N.13 (Dad was in the Southgate Fire Brigade and there wasn't room for 7 children in the Firemen's flats so Mum and Dad had a section of the Town Hall, which was very exciting during the war years). Married in '53 and moved to Chiswick for a few months and then to Amersham for the last 54 years in the same house !

#12 roob_the_doob

roob_the_doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:03 PM

Born and brought up in Ricky - my parents still live locally. Had spells in Cambridge, Liverpool and Sheffield (13 years) before moving here in '01.

#13 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:42 AM

Born in Amersham in 1961 six doors away from were my mother still lives, had to move to Chesham in 1989 as couldn't afford Amersham, finally three Chesham houses later we moved back HOME last year.

#14 Speedy

Speedy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 02:13 PM

Born in amersham hospital 1972.

(lived in berkhamsted from '72 til '93, moved to chesham and still there now.)

#15 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 04:01 PM

Born Birmingham, then moved to a 'better' area, Solihull on New Years day 1955, Cambridge for 3 years, Wimbledon for 1, then married and moved to Sandbach (best known as a motorway stop these days but it was only just being built then). Got a job in Central London in 1966 and moved to Amersham HP7 9HE. 18 months in Ostrava, Czechoslovakia 1968-9 and 2 years in Bern, Switzerland 1973-5. Job moved to Milton Keynes, looked around for somewhere to live near there and moved to HP7 0AZ! Job moved again to Stockley Park so Amersham still a good place to live. Now retired, made a couple of attempts to move elsewhere but we're sticking with Amersham - a pretty good place to live.
David P

#16 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 04:32 PM

Born Birmingham, then moved to a 'better' area, Solihull on New Years day 1955, Cambridge for 3 years, Wimbledon for 1, then married and moved to Sandbach (best known as a motorway stop these days but it was only just being built then). Got a job in Central London in 1966 and moved to Amersham HP7 9HE. 18 months in Ostrava, Czechoslovakia 1968-9 and 2 years in Bern, Switzerland 1973-5. Job moved to Milton Keynes, looked around for somewhere to live near there and moved to HP7 0AZ! Job moved again to Stockley Park so Amersham still a good place to live. Now retired, made a couple of attempts to move elsewhere but we're sticking with Amersham - a pretty good place to live.

Stockley Park? which of the giant companies did you work for?

#17 SallyH

SallyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:33 PM

Born & brought up in Beaconsfield, University in Durham, 15 years in London (5 years Fulham & rest in Grove Park, Chiswick), Amersham since July 2007.
Loved each of the places I have lived, but really thrilled now to be settled here.

#18 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:12 PM

Born & brought up in Beaconsfield, University in Durham, 15 years in London (5 years Fulham & rest in Grove Park, Chiswick), Amersham since July 2007.
Loved each of the places I have lived, but really thrilled now to be settled here.

It seems to be the conclusion to the quest. B)

#19 a t o m i c

a t o m i c

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:39 AM

Ooh, fun with postcodes!

Born at Upton hospital in Slough SL1, moved to USA 14534 and then back to Burnham SL1 - then Maidenhead SL6, Carshalton SM6, North Harrow HA9, Maidenhead SL6, Crouch End N8, Fitzrovia W1 and finally Amersham HP7. Been here for nearly 7 years now.

#20 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:40 PM

Ooh, fun with postcodes!

Yes. I'm intrigued and a little surprised that some people give their full postcode, rather than just the first part.

#21 Denise

Denise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Walking, Travel, Home renovation, Piano, Arts and Crafts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:14 PM

Born in West Watford moving to Croxley Green in 1973, then married and spent 18 months in Luton which we loathed, but it was a start! Moved back to West Watford for another 7 years. In 1988 moved to Amersham for better quality of life and moved within town to present house 6 years ago.

Still have trouble remembering to use right Amersham postcode :blink: At least I remember to go home to the right house :lol:

#22 Kawasaki

Kawasaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Family and local history

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:28 PM

There isn't a voting option for those born in Amersham but no longer living there!
I was born in Amersham (1943) and lived there until 1961. My mother (aged 95) still lives there. I can trace both my maternal and paternal ancestors in the Amersham area back to the 1750s.
I'm afraid I regard anyone who moved to Amersham after the coming of the railway in the 1890s as a newcomer!

#23 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:39 PM

There isn't a voting option for those born in Amersham but no longer living there!

I have now added the option, if you would like to vote
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

Amersham News, Views & Information Facebook Page

#24 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:12 PM

I was born in Amersham (1943) and lived there until 1961. My mother (aged 95) still lives there. I can trace both my maternal and paternal ancestors in the Amersham area back to the 1750s.
I'm afraid I regard anyone who moved to Amersham after the coming of the railway in the 1890s as a newcomer!

Hello old timer :D

#25 Paul Capewell

Paul Capewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:51 PM

Yes. I'm intrigued and a little surprised that some people give their full postcode, rather than just the first part.

I didn't see much wrong with it - it doesn't give too much away, pretty sure I've mentioned the road I live on before on here.

#26 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:58 PM

I did intentionally suggest otherwise in my original post.

#27 Kawasaki

Kawasaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Family and local history

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:59 AM

Hello old timer :D

Maybe, but still riding a motorbike! (Hell's Granddad)

#28 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:39 AM

Stockley Park? which of the giant companies did you work for?

EDS - but not from choice. The nice friendly British company that I worked for was taken over by the Yanks. Elbowed my way to the front of the queue as soon as redundancies were announced!
David P

#29 James516

James516

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 02:36 AM

Moved from Elephant & Castle SE17 to Little Chalfont HP6. Possibly one of the most extreme changes in environment possible in the UK! Have now left and returned to my native Brisbane.

#30 Paul Capewell

Paul Capewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 05:54 AM

I'd have thought Australia to England (or vice versa) was a bigger change than SE17 to HP6!