Photo

Oxford Tube From Amersham To Oxford Brookes?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 K&P

K&P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:Good food, good wine, The Chilterns

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:42 PM

A colleague said I might take a coach to Oxford Brookes from around here? I'd rather take the bus than drive, as I might get some reading done.

Any advice welcome!

#2 roob_the_doob

roob_the_doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:35 PM

A colleague said I might take a coach to Oxford Brookes from around here? I'd rather take the bus than drive, as I might get some reading done.

Any advice welcome!

Amersham to Oxford is a pig of a journey. There's 4 ways to do it, and they all take ages.

1. Train to Aylesbury, then a bus
2. Bus to Wycombe, then a 737 coach (which passes through Amersham but doesn't stop)
3. Tube to Hillingdon (via Harrow), then a short walk to the stop for the "Oxford Tube"
4. Bus to Slough, then a train to Oxford (that one's no good for Brookes)

They all take about 2 hours total.

#3 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 06 September 2008 - 06:04 AM

I've seen a coach/bus in Chesham that has Oxford signs on it - but can't give you anymore information than that.

I'll try and remember to get a number for you next time I see one.
Mel and Co

#4 MarkD

MarkD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 06:52 AM

I've seen a coach/bus in Chesham that has Oxford signs on it - but can't give you anymore information than that.

I'll try and remember to get a number for you next time I see one.

According to this page the National Express 737 service goes Oxford-Stansted via Wycombe and Chesham, but I can't find it on nationalexpress.com - their site has stumped me, which is not good considering I'm an IT professional whos spent over 10 years developing websites!

#5 roob_the_doob

roob_the_doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:26 AM

According to this page the National Express 737 service goes Oxford-Stansted via Wycombe and Chesham, but I can't find it on nationalexpress.com - their site has stumped me, which is not good considering I'm an IT professional whos spent over 10 years developing websites!

The 737 used to stop in Chesham and Amersham, but about 5 years ago those stops were removed (also one in Stokenchurch and a couple of others). Supposedly, this was to give the driver route flexibility at times of heavy traffic (those coaches are notorious for not keeping remotely to time), but in practice there is no other sensible route to/from Hemel and Wycombe. On those occasions when I want to use public transport to get to Oxford, it's intensely frustrating knowing that there is a coach going past the end of my road that I can't use.

For planning complicated journeys, this site isn't bad.

#6 welshdragon

welshdragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 12:42 PM

There always used to be a coach from outside the Saracens Head in Beaconsfield.

#7 K&P

K&P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:Good food, good wine, The Chilterns

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:52 AM

Thanks for all of your replies!

#8 Etna

Etna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:11 PM

Thanks for all of your replies!

Interesting, I am spending a couple of weeks near Oxford, during August, and am trying to devise of way of getting FROM Oxford to Amersham (return) for the day on public transport - as you all say, not easy!