14 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 05:02 PM

Anyone know the going rate for a taxi to pick two people from Gatwick quite late in the evening and return to Amersham?

Any recommendations of taxi firms would be welcome.
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on Twitter

Amersham News Views & Information is also on Facebook

Don't forget to read the Forum Rules!

#2 Angel

Angel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 05:27 PM

I have booked taxi's with http://www.where2guv.com/ when needing transport to and back from Gatwick. They do not necessarily allocate a local taxi firm, since last time I was allocated a taxi from a London firm. They were a cost effective solution though.

My parents have used Linfields (01494 766228) whilst travelling from Heathrow, and they were very pleased with the service.

#3 ubu

ubu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:45 PM

- I've used local taxi firm A2Z in the past, for Heathrow & Luton airport transfers to/from Amersham. I found them punctual and competitive, quoting their flat rate in advance + any airport car park charges incurred. Don't know their current rates.
A2Z (Hill Avenue) email: bookings@a-ztaxis.co.uk landline: 01494 722722.
- Note that the Gatwick-Farringdon-Baker St/M'bone-Amersham route is a f. painless rail alternative for Gatwick to-ing & fro-ing, avoiding the West End.

#4 struthie

struthie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:05 PM

A2Z without doubt!

#5 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:44 PM

I've used Gilbert's locally a few times, including once or twice for my son and been happy with them.

Then last week I had to go to Edinburgh and pre booked Gilberts to take me to and from Heathrow T5 via a colleague's house in Croxley Green. Punctual, very friendly and on our return, the driver was waiting exactly where they said. (It was 50 each way, plus 2.50 for car park on our return and I believe it's ~35 if you don't go via Croxley. I've no idea of the cost to Gatwick.) It was far quicker, cheaper and more relaxing than parking/valet parking near the airport.

See Gilberts of Chesham or call 01494 771000. Just ring them up and ask for a quote, which is what I did initially.

The number of people won't affect the cost (as long as you're going direct from A to B and can fit in a car, rather than minibus), but as for "quite late in the evening", you'd have to ask. We were picked up ~9.30pm and that was no more expensive than the outward leg at lunchtime.

#6 struthie

struthie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:50 AM

My ex work colleague mans the phones at A2Z

I just asked him for a price.

"73 plus car park if journey is completed by 11pm, 95 + car park after 11pm"

#7 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:37 PM

I've found A2B (rather than A2Z) to be consistently a couple of pounds cheaper than the others and always reliable.
David P

#8 ubu

ubu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:06 PM

My ex work colleague mans the phones at A2Z
I just asked him for a price.
"73 plus car park if journey is completed by 11pm, 95 + car park after 11pm"

Amersham Budget Taxis meanwhile quotes 60 for a Gatwick pick-up and back to Amersham.
Their current leaflet-drop (Oct 2008) also lists: Heathrow 28, Luton 33, Gatwick 60, Stansted 60 (I tried this last week, fine), City Airport 68, Central London 45, Watford 18, Hemel Hempstead 16, central Slough 22, Reading 44, Windsor 26, Maidenhead 23 and Aylesbury 22.
Receipts provided and no extra charge after midnight or at weekends.
(Aylesbury may be of interest to anyone who has ever overshot Amersham going home on the last Marylebone train!)
The firm is a start-up splinter group of ex-A2Z Taxis drivers, bent on appreciably undercutting other Chiltern district operators.
Budget Taxis tel : (01494) 77 35 77- booking@abudgettaxi.co.uk - www.abudgettaxi.co.uk
Verdict - Worth a try.

#9 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:37 PM

We've used Crown Taxis in Chesham consistently for airport drops and have been exceptionally happy with them.

In Feb 08 it was 70 each way if you booked a return to Gatwick, plus you can ask them not to park (thus not having to pay for the car park) - generally we ask them to arrive 30 mins after the plane lands. Last month we used them for a return to Heathrow which was 30 each way, on our return to Heathrow I picked up my answerphone messages and they'd left a message a few days before letting me know that as our date of return was the Muslim's Christmas Day they'd made arrangements with another taxi firm, who had a non-muslim driver, to pick us up which was exactly the same price and completely painless.

On our departure they have always arrived at least five minutes early but have been quite happy to wait while we lock up, plus on your arrival into the UK they call when they arrive at the airport to ascertain where you are in the airport and if you have still to collect your bags then you give them a call when you are on your way out.
Mel and Co

#10 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:14 PM

I don't know if all taxi firms do this, but with Gilbert's, if you pay by credit card, they charge 17.5% VAT, but if you pay by cash, you don't. (I'm not sure if cheque or debit cards are an option and if so, whether they charge VAT then.) So if you're planning a longish journey, it's worth ensuring you have enough cash.

#11 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:02 PM

I don't know if all taxi firms do this, but with Gilbert's, if you pay by credit card, they charge 17.5% VAT, but if you pay by cash, you don't. (I'm not sure if cheque or debit cards are an option and if so, whether they charge VAT then.) So if you're planning a longish journey, it's worth ensuring you have enough cash.

I suspect that makes you an accessory to tax evasion.
David P

#12 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:57 AM

I suspect that makes you an accessory to tax evasion.

Now I think about it, perhaps you're right. I did think it odd, but it's a long established company and they were very certain the tax man had told them that's what to do.

BUT, they only mentioned credit cards. I don't know if they charge VAT for cheques or debit cards, their cars are all licensed and metered and you can get a receipt, so maybe there is enough of an audit trail to keep things above board?

#13 jai

jai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 01:39 PM

Now I think about it, perhaps you're right. I did think it odd, but it's a long established company and they were very certain the tax man had told them that's what to do.

BUT, they only mentioned credit cards. I don't know if they charge VAT for cheques or debit cards, their cars are all licensed and metered and you can get a receipt, so maybe there is enough of an audit trail to keep things above board?

London Airport Taxi Cab Transfer Service

hi,

I would like to recommend Hummingbird Cars Their Link http://www.airportransfers.net/
they also provide 5 % discount on all return journeys

Thanks

#14 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:07 PM

London Airport Taxi Cab Transfer Service

hi,

I would like to recommend Hummingbird Cars Their Link http://www.airportransfers.net/
they also provide 5 % discount on all return journeys

Thanks

Can't see that this would be much use. They haven't even got our local HP postcodes listed when you try to get a quote.
Mel and Co

#15 Anderson

Anderson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:14 PM

i use budget cars all the time. its 1 of the most reliable and compatative company in our area.

01495 773577