• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lillyloo

lillyloo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:25 PM

Hi, Does anyone know when the book factory at raans road opens to the public ?

Thanks

#2 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,192 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:10 PM

Columbia books (it's a wholesale warehouse, rather than a factory) is open to the public one weekend a month- the weekend that has third Sunday of the month, plus an extra pre-Christmas weekend and January sale weekend. I think think its hours are 10am-5pm. Everything is 30% of the RRP (i.e. 70% off), except when there are additional discounts, though there is a nominal annual membership fee of ~5.

It is not just remaindered books in the usual sense (i.e. stuff that no one wanted to buy); they also have returns, promotional books, older editions etc.

The place is vast, and although stock is vaguely sorted into sections, part of the joy of it is finding unexpected things. Conversely, if you go with the intention of looking for a specific book, you may be disappointed.

See you next weekend, 18th-19th October?

#3 KevinR

KevinR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:10 PM

Hi, Does anyone know when the book factory at raans road opens to the public ?

The Columbia Book Club is open on the third weekend of the month with the exeception of December this year when they are open the 2nd weeknd (the 3rd weekend is Christmas). During November and December when they open two weekends in the month for Christmas shopping. Remaining dates for 2008 are therefore October 18/19th, November 8th/9th and 15th/16th and December 6th/7th and 13th/14th.

The warehouse is a wholeseller of returns, remaindered, promotional and over stocked books. The bookclub is a means by which they can also sell to the general public without all the overheads of operating as a shop. Working this way has various retrictions, hence the limited weekend opening hours. There is a nominal annual fee to join (I think it is 2 but may be wrong).

A fantastic place to spend hours in.

Phone number is 01494 723994. Their commercial website is http://www.columbiaeditions.com/ (though this is targeted at commercial customers rather than the general public book club).

#4 lillyloo

lillyloo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:22 AM

Thank you . I shall pay them a visit.

#5 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:42 AM

Are Columbia still going? I thought I would try and find their next open weekend, but their site is down with the message. "This Account Has Been Suspended". http://www.columbiaeditions.com/
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

Amersham News, Views & Information Facebook Page

#6 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:54 PM

They have stopped sending me reminder emails.  I went along on the third Sunday a couple of months ago and the place was shut up.

David P

#7 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,192 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:16 PM

Oh dear! The emails were always  erratic, but if the website's gone and the place was shut, I assume it is no more. I wonder what's happened to the bookshops in Chesham and Berkhamsted (I forget the name) that seemed to be stocked entirely from Columbia?

#8 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:12 AM

The remaindered bookshop in Chesham is long gone although the closing down sale lasted so long that I had stopped believing in it. I haven't noticed one in Berko.

PeterC aka Chilternbirder

#9 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,192 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

The remaindered bookshop in Chesham is long gone although the closing down sale lasted so long that I had stopped believing in it. I haven't noticed one in Berko.

It's a few years since I was in Berko, so it may be long gone.