44 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 02:27 PM

An article in the magazine of the London Underground Railway Society says that a rumour is going around that the new S stock will have to be shortened. The new 8 car trains will be longer than the present trains, which means they won't fit into all the sidings and terminal platforms currently used as well. They either won't fit, or will have to be approached at a much slower speed because of reduced clearance. This it is claimed will slow the service down meaning it won't be able to cope with extra trains. An alternative of running 7 car trains on the Met is suggested, but this cuts capacity again.

Who knows if there is any truth in this rumour, or others suggesting the Met trains won't be first to be replaced, but it does seem to indicate just how complex this all is and has it been totally thought through.
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on Twitter

Amersham News Views & Information is also on Facebook

Don't forget to read the Forum Rules!

#2 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:06 PM

:D It wouldnt surprise me!So its quite likely if this rumour is true that well end up with an even more crammed service thnan before.Oh joy!I read today that they have run really short of funding for the new refurb work and are talking about redundancies.Short to the tune of 2.4bn.

#3 Metman

Metman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 12:30 AM

:D It wouldnt surprise me!So its quite likely if this rumour is true that well end up with an even more crammed service thnan before.Oh joy!I read today that they have run really short of funding for the new refurb work and are talking about redundancies.Short to the tune of 2.4bn.

After speaking to employees of Bombardier and seniors within LUL I can say that the A stock will be replaced first-sadly! There is an issue with Baker Street Bay roads ie plats 1 and 4, these will need to be modified as well as Aldgate's bay platforms. This is nothing to the work required on the Hammersmith branch and some western Circle platforms.

The Met IS going to get 8 car trains, although with a lot fewer seats! The A60/62 stock will be replaced first-even if in my opinion the Circle and Hammersmith trains should be replace/added to first!

All that is certain is that the Met will receive 58 trains! Maybe! :rolleyes:

#4 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 08:24 AM

After speaking to employees of Bombardier and seniors within LUL I can say that the A stock will be replaced first-sadly! There is an issue with Baker Street Bay roads ie plats 1 and 4, these will need to be modified as well as Aldgate's bay platforms. This is nothing to the work required on the Hammersmith branch and some western Circle platforms.

The Met IS going to get 8 car trains, although with a lot fewer seats! The A60/62 stock will be replaced first-even if in my opinion the Circle and Hammersmith trains should be replace/added to first!

All that is certain is that the Met will receive 58 trains! Maybe! :rolleyes:

I would imagine that Wembley Sidings, previously the Sheds are also too short.And they were relaid only recently.

#5 Metman

Metman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 10:55 AM

The Northern sidings at Wembley are too short! They will be useless in a few years time! The depot is to be modified.

#6 exluldriver

exluldriver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:20 PM

Here's some info on the new S stock .

The new S Stock will have 8 cars for the Met line and seven cars for the H & C and District lines. Met trains will have seating arranged as now similar to A Stock trains. Trains will have full air-con, all axles motored, a top speed of 100kpm, full CCTV, walk through inter car connections and will be able to operate automatically by 2015. Plus there are lots of other state of art systems on the train.
To cover other issues posted on your forum- Chesham will be served by 8 car trains to/from Aldgate all day at the present timings of the shuttle. That will probably reduce the service to Amersham slighty. As for sidings and platforms, these will have to be extended to varying degrees.

If you require any other information let me know.

exluldriver

And just to confirm the authenticity of my comments- I will be part of the team training the S Stock Train Drivers

#7 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:45 PM

Makes more sense to increase the platform lengths to decrease a new train length.Did I read that correctly, the trains will run automatically by 2015.Meaning there will be no driver?Or a plastic one called Johny Tube.
If thats true thats an exciting development, but at the same time a scary thought.Do you have any idea when the first finished new S stock train is likely to be introduced to the public?

#8 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:10 AM

Here's some info on the new S stock .

The new S Stock will have 8 cars for the Met line and seven cars for the H & C and District lines. Met trains will have seating arranged as now similar to A Stock trains. Trains will have full air-con, all axles motored, a top speed of 100kpm, full CCTV, walk through inter car connections and will be able to operate automatically by 2015. Plus there are lots of other state of art systems on the train.
To cover other issues posted on your forum- Chesham will be served by 8 car trains to/from Aldgate all day at the present timings of the shuttle. That will probably reduce the service to Amersham slighty. As for sidings and platforms, these will have to be extended to varying degrees.

If you require any other information let me know.

exluldriver

And just to confirm the authenticity of my comments- I will be part of the team training the S Stock Train Drivers

The pictures I've just seen show only 128 of the 306 seats to be forward and rear facing,

#9 Bengley

Bengley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:10 PM

Makes more sense to increase the platform lengths to decrease a new train length.Did I read that correctly, the trains will run automatically by 2015.Meaning there will be no driver?Or a plastic one called Johny Tube.
If thats true thats an exciting development, but at the same time a scary thought.Do you have any idea when the first finished new S stock train is likely to be introduced to the public?

That's just speculation. The distance between stations on the Metropolitan line means that the headway will not be improved enough to warrant spending the money for ATO to be installed. It probably won't be done for at least 20 years if at all. Adding ATO to the metropolitan line is like having automatically driven trains on the high speed lines to scotland and such.

Even if they did go auto, the driver would still be in the cab of the train, in case anything goes wrong. They also have to open and close the doors.

#10 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,192 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:59 PM

Did I read that correctly, the trains will run automatically by 2015.Meaning there will be no driver?Or a plastic one called Johny Tube.
If thats true thats an exciting development, but at the same time a scary thought.

The DLR has been driverless since it started, hasn't it?

#11 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:11 PM

Even if they did go auto, the driver would still be in the cab of the train, in case anything goes wrong. They also have to open and close the doors.

I would have thought opening and closing the doors was the easy part.
David P

#12 Metman

Metman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:44 PM

I would have thought opening and closing the doors was the easy part.

The train operators needs to be on hand in case there is a failure in the equipment in a similar way to the Victoria and Central Lines operate now.

We have established that there will be vastly fewer sets on the S8s by now. That is old news and sadly we'ew stuck with it. I can't see 7 car trains being rolled out next year, platform extensions can be carried out.

#13 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:14 PM

Can imagine how stimulating that will be for a driver everyday.Sitting in a automatic train, watching the train drive itself.

#14 Metman

Metman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:16 PM

The first S stock train is currently on the move. It will arrive at Neasden depot tonight.

#15 Weezer

Weezer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:46 PM

Whatever may be thought of them, it's the beginning of the end for the mighty A Stock. That the new S Stock trains should last nearly as long...

#16 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:17 PM

The first S stock train is currently on the move. It will arrive at Neasden depot tonight.

Any idea when this new S stock train is likely to go live to the public?Is it at neasden just for testing and for training?

#17 Metman

Metman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:47 PM

For testing. Hopefully, it and its kin will not be running for a long while.

#18 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:25 AM

I guess Im just over excited, looking forward to an improvement. :) Yes last I heard they were meant to be rolled out in summer 2010.

#19 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:54 AM

I guess Im just over excited, looking forward to an improvement. :) Yes last I heard they were meant to be rolled out in summer 2010.

Apparently, the train went through Amersham in the early hours towed by a diesel loco (top and tail class 20s).

I believe the new train will be tested in the northern part of the Met line first (not with passengers), probably Watford branch to start with
Matthew P Jones

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

Amersham News, Views & Information Facebook Page

#20 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:40 PM

It's here (well almost)and will be in use from September:

http://news.bbc.co.u...don/8317749.stm
Mel and Co

#21 Paul Capewell

Paul Capewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:07 PM

That's quite exciting :)

#22 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:51 PM

From TFL site posted 21 Oct 09
New S Stock

The new train, which will serve the Metropolitan Line from summer next year, is the first step in the replacement of the line's fleet, with 58 new trains rolling out by 2011.

Anyone got a better idea of when they are likley to have the first one in service?BBC site says September TFL ays this summer.Looking forward to using the new train.I wonder if they will use it in rush hour as its likely to be packed, being new and with AC.

#23 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:31 PM

Train number two is supposed to arrive this week. However training of Train Operators for them has not begun yet.

#24 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:11 PM

Train number two is supposed to arrive this week. However training of Train Operators for them has not begun yet.

So what happened to No1? :) Do you know how long training for this new train takes?I understand they cant pin an exact date on the arrivl of the new train just yet, but Im curious and its gone quite quiet on the press front concerning the S stock.

#25 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:57 PM

I would take the complaints about reduced seating more seriously if people actually used the seats available now. It is a regular occurrence for people to be left on the platform at Kings Cross because standing passengers block the doors and rather than sit in empty seats.
PeterC aka Chilternbirder

#26 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:45 PM

So what happened to No1? :) Do you know how long training for this new train takes?I understand they cant pin an exact date on the arrivl of the new train just yet, but Im curious and its gone quite quiet on the press front concerning the S stock.

Train No.1 was pre-production and was always going back to the manufacturer as it has equipement missing that production trains will have. However I heard this morning that traffic hours testing of this train hasn't been completed as the train cannot get out of Neasden Depot at night due to the works going on within the depot to upgrade it. If this is true then its just another case of poor comunication which the PPP has made worse.

I would take the complaints about reduced seating more seriously if people actually used the seats available now. It is a regular occurrence for people to be left on the platform at Kings Cross because standing passengers block the doors and rather than sit in empty seats.

An A60 has 44 doors each side I regularly leave people on the platform at Kings Cross because they all try to cram into the same three cars.

#27 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:45 PM

However I heard this morning that traffic hours testing of this train hasn't been completed as the train cannot get out of Neasden Depot at night due to the works going on within the depot to upgrade it.

:D what a mess!

#28 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:56 PM

After 50 years of waiting, this is certainly impressive.

#29 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:01 AM

I understand the whole of the Metropolitan line is closed this Sunday so they can test the one or two new trains that have arrived.

I received an email from TFL saying the closure was for track replacement, but I have read elsewhere it may well be to test the trains. They need to close the whole line in case the new trains cause problems with the signals, which would not be good news if other trains were running. No idea if this is correct. Work is to be done at Amersham and Rickmansworth to put equipment in for the new trains, so could a test train run?

Anyway,seems a shame the whole line has to be closed and cause inconvenience for everyone if only small parts are out of action, but there again you cannot be too careful when it comes to safety.
Matthew P Jones

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

Amersham News, Views & Information Facebook Page

#30 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:45 PM

I understand the whole of the Metropolitan line is closed this Sunday so they can test the one or two new trains that have arrived.

I received an email from TFL saying the closure was for track replacement, but I have read elsewhere it may well be to test the trains. They need to close the whole line in case the new trains cause problems with the signals, which would not be good news if other trains were running. No idea if this is correct. Work is to be done at Amersham and Rickmansworth to put equipment in for the new trains, so could a test train run?

Anyway,seems a shame the whole line has to be closed and cause inconvenience for everyone if only small parts are out of action, but there again you cannot be too careful when it comes to safety.

I was told the line was needed to be clear of trains so that the Immunisation work that has been done to allow the trains to run Can be tested. But that story falls down if the Picc are still going to run from Rayners to Uxbridge.

The official reason for the closure is advertised as " S Stock Systems Integration Tests". Which probably does mean no chanch of spying an S Stock on the road.