59 replies to this topic

#31 Rob75

Rob75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:47 PM

Went here on Saturday for dinner. Pretty impressed. Would go again.

Slightly put off at the door by the lack of customers/atmos, and a menu that lacked a bit of polish presentationally. However, took the plunge and glad we did - the food was good, with healthy portions.

In terms of style, think of it as an interesting alternative to a curry house, and worth giving a try. It is essentially posh kebabs - nice barbecued meat, really nice flatbread, salad, rice and sauces.

Did think a shame there were only 4 tables taken on a saturday night. Hope it survives.

#32 K&P

K&P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:Good food, good wine, The Chilterns

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:23 PM

Went here on Saturday for dinner. Pretty impressed. Would go again.

Slightly put off at the door by the lack of customers/atmos, and a menu that lacked a bit of polish presentationally. However, took the plunge and glad we did - the food was good, with healthy portions.

In terms of style, think of it as an interesting alternative to a curry house, and worth giving a try. It is essentially posh kebabs - nice barbecued meat, really nice flatbread, salad, rice and sauces.

Did think a shame there were only 4 tables taken on a saturday night. Hope it survives.

Is it licensed? Price range? Sounds interesting.

K

#33 Rob75

Rob75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:36 AM

Is it licensed? Price range? Sounds interesting.

K

Price range - starters around £6, mains around £9. So curry house kind of prices. No "extras" - ie the chicken and lamb shish I had came with the breads, rice, salad etc.

Yes it is licensed.

Open all afternoon too, and has a kids menu - so also an early dinner possibility with the family.

We had a mixed meze starter for two, two mains, and a few drinks, which came to £45 - around £28 for the food.

There is a website with menu (see earlier in the thread). Without wanting to derail the thread again (and with apologies to the creator), like the menu outside, the website lacks a bit of polish (imo) but don't let that put you off.

#34 K&P

K&P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:01 PM

Price range - starters around £6, mains around £9. So curry house kind of prices. No "extras" - ie the chicken and lamb shish I had came with the breads, rice, salad etc.

Yes it is licensed.

Open all afternoon too, and has a kids menu - so also an early dinner possibility with the family.

We had a mixed meze starter for two, two mains, and a few drinks, which came to £45 - around £28 for the food.

There is a website with menu (see earlier in the thread). Without wanting to derail the thread again (and with apologies to the creator), like the menu outside, the website lacks a bit of polish (imo) but don't let that put you off.

Cheers, Rob!

K

#35 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:44 PM

We went in for lunch today. An excellent and substantial meal of two very good courses and a soft drink for only £7.99. Superb value.
David P

#36 Hollymum

Hollymum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:58 PM

We ordered a takeaway from here and it was delicious. You certainly would not go hungry as the portions are big. Would definitely go again.:rolleyes:

#37 K&P

K&P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:01 PM

I'm looking forward to trying it, but him-indoors has scanned the menu and noted a DISTINCT lack of Doner Kebab... (memo to Village Mangal, LOL).

K

#38 roob_the_doob

roob_the_doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:21 PM

I'm looking forward to trying it, but him-indoors has scanned the menu and noted a DISTINCT lack of Doner Kebab... (memo to Village Mangal, LOL).

K

Take him anyway, order the mezze starters, and tell him he can call in the kebab shop afterwards. Chances are he'll be full after the starters alone. We've eaten there twice (so far, it's won't be long until we go again), and each time could easily have gone home without eating our main meal (and have each time taken home a doggy bag).

#39 ITSMEAGAIN

ITSMEAGAIN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:30 AM

The artificial "grass area" outside was in a bad state and looked really naff and put me off even trying the place (mind you it was almost as bad when the disabled ramp terrace was in place!). The owner's had the place up for sale for some time and has tried several things to improve trade. I'm still not sure he's hit upon the answer yet.

#40 K&P

K&P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:12 PM

Take him anyway, order the mezze starters, and tell him he can call in the kebab shop afterwards. Chances are he'll be full after the starters alone. We've eaten there twice (so far, it's won't be long until we go again), and each time could easily have gone home without eating our main meal (and have each time taken home a doggy bag).

Thanks! You've sold him on it!

K

#41 cathindia

cathindia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:26 PM

We tried the Village Mangal last night. Didn't book, but it was quite empty so that wasn't a problem. We had an excellent meal. The staff were attentive without being pushy, the portions were large - I think I could have just stuck with the meze and it would have been enough! The quality of the food was very good. My husband lived in Turkey for a few years and he really enjoyed it. We will be going back.

#42 mvjt

mvjt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:27 PM

We had a lovely meal there last night. The food was absolutely delicious.
We will be back too!

#43 PCMD

PCMD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:43 PM

We have had two take aways from here, one was for 12 people after bonfire night. The food is absolutely magnificent. The best borek's we have ever had! The kebab's are lovely with generous salad, nice rice and bread. The home-made humous is also very good. The casseroles were excellent. Would recommend to anyone. We are looking forwards to being able to eat in, but with a toddler and a baby, it is difficult to get a night out together.

Would highly recommend to everyone!

#44 Bawbag

Bawbag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:06 AM

Have had takeaways from Village Mangal twice now, excellent both times.

Feel we're missing a trick by not eating in though, the smell is amazing!

#45 elli

elli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:27 AM

love this place!!! been here 3 times and having our xmas meal here too.

the service is something they could work on, however the food is amazing and cheap, so the service is ok to compromise on :)

#46 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,147 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:05 AM

We finally tried the Village Mangal last night, and our experience echoes most of those above: generous portions of very good food at an excellent price.

My only quibble is that they need to do something to stop the draught from the door freezing half the customers every time someone opens it (and we weren't the closest to it).

#47 mvjt

mvjt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:19 PM

After eating in in November we went for a takeaway tonight.
It was, again, delicious. Large portions with salad, rice and flat bread.
I think we may have our new favourite takeaway. We will definitely be going back.

#48 mvjt

mvjt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:32 PM

We couldn't resist going back for another takeaway from them tonight. Again - delicious food and good quantities with rice, salad, bread.
I think we have found a new favourite!

#49 Delta

Delta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

Finally went in with the family over the weekend after hearing/reading so many good reports about this place and what can I say? Honest, genuine, fresh food and very good value with friendly service. It's exactly what it says it is and purports to be and that's all you can really ask for and what you should expect. Why can't all restaurants be like this within their own field? A real gem and great addition to Amersham.

#50 Presendo

Presendo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:News about the area, cultural events and family activities

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

We have bought take away from them several times for my family and friends and they were very impressed. Really glad they moved here. The quality has been consistent from the start.

#51 gazza13

gazza13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:44 AM

My only quibble is that they need to do something to stop the draught from the door freezing half the customers every time someone opens it (and we weren't the closest to it).

The Mangal has now fitted double doors so you don't get the cold draft any more, However the window seats are now a little cosy unless you are small. Food was as good as usual.

#52 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,147 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:24 PM

That's good to know: both that it will be pleasanter next time we go, but also because any business that listens to its customers is likely to do better than one that doesn't - and deservedly so.

#53 mvjt

mvjt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

We have a take away from them at least weekly (young children prevent us eating in) and the food has been consistently delicious each time. They have also been great at accommodating our awkward preferences!
It is nice to see the restaurant getting a lot busier of an evening.

#54 freethinking

freethinking

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

Haven't been here in a while, so went again tonight.....fabulous! Delicious, fresh & friendly (oh.....and cheap!). I LOVE this place, we are lucky to have such a gem on our doorstep.

#55 roob_the_doob

roob_the_doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

Haven't been here in a while, so went again tonight.....fabulous! Delicious, fresh & friendly (oh.....and cheap!). I LOVE this place, we are lucky to have such a gem on our doorstep.
We've 'eaten in' plenty of times before, but last night we had a takeaway kebab for the first time. I have to agree they are excellent and very good value.

#56 ThreeDaysGrace

ThreeDaysGrace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

Is it a good place for vegetarians?

#57 mvjt

mvjt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

Is it a good place for vegetarians?

Yes.  I'm vegetarian and love it.

#58 ThreeDaysGrace

ThreeDaysGrace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

In that case we will have to visit! :D

#59 Zoom

Zoom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

Having a lovely meal at the Village Mangal.

If you love this place and normally have trouble getting in, now is the time to come. Lots of cancelled bookings so plenty of tables. Great food for a snowy evening.

:-)

#60 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

Booked in for this evening. Looking forward to it!