59 replies to this topic

#1 ubu

ubu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 06:07 PM

I'm not a foodie, so I'll leave others better qualified to judge the gastronomics of this newly-opened eating-house.

- Sunday lunchtime, Nov 30 2008. Three adults ate their fill: 3 courses each, plenty of choice from the day/evg's very varied menus: experienced all-fresh food, tastily prepared and beautifully served. Marvellous mediterranean herbs in both the meat dishes and veggie options. Drinks: 2 glasses house red, 2 teas brewed to choice, 2 coffees: espresso, cappuccino. Total bill: £59 for three, +[unsolicited] tip.
- Misc. remarks: Setting: roomy and comfortable. Ambiance relaxing. Decor brand new, attractive. Lighting & fittings great. Surprisingly deep interior. Kitchen visible. Heating & air con fine. Background music: hardly notice it once you've started on the food. Female loos well satisfied my discriminating companions.

- Other: usual cards taken. Good window-seat boulevard views and attractive outside veranda. 2 mins Amersham Tube/rail station. 5 mins from pleasant woodland foothpath scenic ramble down to Old Town. Open 7 days. Verdict: full marks. Come again? certainly.

* Feast Café and Bistro, fully licensed, 13 Hill Avenue, Amersham-on-the Hill, Bucks.
Tel 01494 729055.
----------------
Prior threads:
http://www.amersham....?showtopic=1723
'Mexican' restaurant, opening in Hill Ave [June-Nov 2008];
Amersham Station Vicinity - Emerging Eateries update [Sept-Oct 2008]
http://www.amersham....?showtopic=1886

-----------------

Edited by Fran, 07 October 2011 - 10:48 AM.
Changed topic title to match restaurant's new name

#2 poppet

poppet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 06:36 PM

Matthew and I were a bit worried when we decided to try Feast on Friday evening as the place was utterly deserted when we passed on Thursday. We need not have worried as although it was by no means full there seemed to be a steady trickle of people coming and going and the staff were not sitting around unoccupied.

We chose a starter to share of calamari. The portion was for one but there was ample. The batter was crisp and not greasy and the calamari just on the right side of chewy as opposed to non edible rubbery which it sometimes can be.

Matthew had a main course of sword fish with mash potato and a minuscule amount of salad (the only gripe with the meal as we feel there could have been more on the “veg/salad” front). I had Shish kebab with rice and loads of salad. The kebab was freshly made with “proper chunks” of lamb as opposed to processed meat and the salad was without dressing which gave me the option as to whether I wanted any extra accompaniment or not (which I didn't). We had a large bottle of cold sparkling water but the wine list did look reasonable and comprehensive. We would have had coffee (the cappuccinos on the table next to us looked authentic) but we had to go as we were due somewhere else.

The staff were attentive and friendly and the service good except our mains were ready before they had cleared away the starter plates. The bill came to around Ł25 and no annoying service charge was added so we were able to tip at our own discretion.

We will definitely try the place again and are quite keen to go when they are serving breakfast.

#3 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,171 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:13 PM

I looked in the window on Friday afternoon. I thought the menu looked a little odd in that there were traditional English café things such as cooked breakfast, sandwiches and jacket potatoes, but also a separate "proper" menu of starters, main courses and accompaniments, deserts etc. On the other hand, if that gets them a flow of business throughout the day, it's not a bad idea, and the fact that Matthew and Poppet (welcome, by the way) enjoyed it, the kitchen can obviously cope with two levels of catering, so good luck to them.

#4 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:47 PM

Popped in this evening for a quick bite. Food very good with large portions and as stated previously nice decor with attentive service. As a 'lady' (I use the word under advisement) I found the toilet on first impression to be up to standard, however upon closer inspection it's not been properly cleaned since it was fitted out and there is loose grouting etc around the pipes behind the sink. A minor detail and not to detract from the fact that the sink and toilet themselves were spotlessly clean and in addition it had a hand dryer that actually works.

I will definitely try it again during the day when their daytime menu is in use, for the record the evening menu starts at 4pm.
Mel and Co

#5 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 09:17 PM

Popped in this evening for a quick bite. Food very good with large portions and as stated previously nice decor with attentive service. As a 'lady' (I use the word under advisement) I found the toilet on first impression to be up to standard, however upon closer inspection it's not been properly cleaned since it was fitted out and there is loose grouting etc around the pipes behind the sink. A minor detail and not to detract from the fact that the sink and toilet themselves were spotlessly clean and in addition it had a hand dryer that actually works.

Anyone else make a habit of inspecting the grouting round the pipes behind the sink when they visit the loo? :rolleyes:
David P

#6 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 09:19 PM

Anyone else make a habit of inspecting the grouting round the pipes behind the sink when they visit the loo? :rolleyes:

I dropped my keys!
Mel and Co

#7 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:13 PM

I dropped my keys!

Lucky they only went behind the sink!

But I still don't understand, why do you need your keys in the loo? :huh:
David P

#8 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:24 PM

Lucky they only went behind the sink!

But I still don't understand, why do you need your keys in the loo? :huh:

They were in my coat pocket and when I pulled the sleeves back so that I could wash my hands they fell out of my pocket in front of the sink but being a woman my eyes were drawn to the messy grouting as I bent down to pick them up.
Mel and Co

#9 Missjoanie

Missjoanie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Live music particularly jazz
    Live sport particularly cricket
    Film
    Reading
    Cooking
    Wining and dining
    Walking

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:48 AM

I agree with all previous postings as to the freshness of the food and the attentiveness of the staff without being overwhelming. We had the vegetable meze as a shared starter and the meat meze as as main and a bottle of wine.

Only gripe is that we thought we would be adventurous and try the Turkish wines but they did not have them in stock.

Have also been for hot chocalates. Good value to what you pay elsewhere in Amersham and not overly sweetened.

#10 mvjt

mvjt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:21 AM

The three of us had Sunday lunch there yesterday on the spur of the moment. Can definitely recommend it. Roast was delicious (wonderful potatoes!), full English breakfast (it's what he wanted!) was very much enjoyed and cheeseburger for the little one.

And so cheap - I was shocked at how cheap.

#11 HP6

HP6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:02 PM

Yes, the roast dinner is very good value. There's a definitely a market in customers who want a bit more than pizza or burgers but can't be bothered with the niceties of tablecloths.

#12 ITSMEAGAIN

ITSMEAGAIN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:27 AM

If anyone wants it it's up for sale?

#13 mvjt

mvjt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:33 PM

Someone mentioned in another post that Feast has now closed.
That's a shame. We used to enjoy going in there but have been unable to these last few months.

#14 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:18 PM

Someone mentioned in another post that Feast has now closed.

the sign on the door says "closed for refurbishment"

I have not seen any activity though
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

Amersham News, Views & Information Facebook Page

#15 Unremarkable

Unremarkable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:45 AM

Much hammering, drilling, digging up of floors going on at Feast yesterday so the refurbishment is going ahead.
I'm looking forward to the reopening - cheerful service and great value.

#16 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,171 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:27 PM

But will it reopen as the same sort of place? (As we drove past this evening I caught a glimpse of a sign (inside) that sounded more Indian than Mediterranean - but it was only a glimpse, and I don't recall what it was.)

#17 Unremarkable

Unremarkable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:54 AM

The sign suggests it will be re-opening as the 'Village Mangal' so Turkish if the Mangal in East London is any guide. The owner is Turkish so it makes sense - I don't think it's changed hands.

#18 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,171 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:11 PM

The sign suggests it will be re-opening as the 'Village Mangal' so Turkish if the Mangal in East London is any guide. The owner is Turkish so it makes sense - I don't think it's changed hands.

Ah, I must have misread it as mogul, forgotten what I'd read and hence been left with an Indian impression.

Anyway, according to Wikipedia, "Mangal is the name for Turkish barbecue. In a more social context, it resembles braai of South Africa... The menu always has a kind of meat. A typical mangal meal will consist of grilled vegetables, shish kebabs of various kinds and meatballs named köfte. Grilled chicken wings, chicken breasts and offal is also common. Salads and other cold foods accompany the meal."

#19 Unremarkable

Unremarkable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:51 AM

Strolling past "Feast" yesterday, I see it's due to open as the "Village Mangal" - Turkish bistro, on Friday 16th September.
I can't remember the exact details but there is some kind of half-price offer for the first two days of opening.

Mr. Unremarkable and I plan to try it out on Friday evening.

#20 Unremarkable

Unremarkable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:58 AM

We tried out the Village Mangal on Friday - first day of opening.

They were incredibly busy and though we hadn't booked, still found us a decent table.

The order was mixed cold meze for starter - all very pleasant, plenty of lovely fresh flat bread.

Kofkte Kebab - nicely seasoned but not very spicy (I'm a fan of chillies) with rice and salad
Village Mangal special - a huge feast of lamb chops, kofte kebab, chicken kebab and grilled chicken with rice and salad
Children's meal of chicken kebab with rice (changed from chips with no fuss) - the chicken was delicious, very tender.
Turkish coffee and a slice of semolina syrup cake (Revani possibly).
With a bottle of Turkish wine (there is a good wine list), a bottle of efes beer, and a Ribena the whole thing came to Ł58 but the food was half price - bargain!

The portion sizes were generous to say the least. The children's meal was almost as big as an adult's and the Village mangal special was massive.
Service was good and the grill where you can see the meat being cooked was entertaining for young Unremarkable.

We bumped into some friends who'd had some meze there for lunch and had enjoyed it so much they'd come back with their family for dinner.
Overall a very nice meal out.

#21 HP6

HP6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:58 AM

We tried out the Village Mangal on Friday - first day of opening.

The order was mixed cold meze for starter - all very pleasant, plenty of lovely fresh flat bread.

The portion sizes were generous to say the least. The children's meal was almost as big as an adult's and the Village mangal special was massive.
Service was good and the grill where you can see the meat being cooked was entertaining for young Unremarkable.

Overall a very nice meal out.

I had a similar experience yesterday. If I'd known they were going to give us free extra helpings and a free dessert I would have ordered less food .:rolleyes: (My conscience, yes, doesn't like seeing food go to waste).

Excellent value and they made a lot of effort.

#22 Guest_iyiguveh_*

Guest_iyiguveh_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:14 PM

The food, salads, and the desserts are delicious. I love village mangal food. its the best restaurant in Amersham.
The price on food are average and you get massive plate of food on your table.
I got a twitter on village mangal where they provide the best food in Amersham.
I also found out that village mangal has their own website where they advertise the menu on web too. www.villagemangal.com
What a suprising, you can make booking and group bookings are welcome.
Its a decent restaurant, I will be bringing my family and friends to the restaurant for good time and delicious food. Posted Image

#23 Bawbag

Bawbag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:30 AM

The food, salads, and the desserts are delicious. I love village mangal food. its the best restaurant in Amersham.
The price on food are average and you get massive plate of food on your table.
I got a twitter on village mangal where they provide the best food in Amersham.
I also found out that village mangal has their own website where they advertise the menu on web too. www.villagemangal.com
What a suprising, you can make booking and group bookings are welcome.
Its a decent restaurant, I will be bringing my family and friends to the restaurant for good time and delicious food. Posted Image

Hmmm.....

#24 HP6

HP6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:26 AM

Hmmm.....

Heh! My thoughts exactly. :rolleyes:

#25 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:37 PM

<gushing praise snipped>
Its a decent restaurant, I will be bringing my family and friends to the restaurant for good time and delicious food.

You'd take your family to your own restaurant? How generous of you.

#26 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,171 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:01 PM

There is nothing wrong with local businesses promoting themselves; often customers and potential customers like the chance to exchange views with them.

However, the forum rules require people to be honest about it: Rules for Advertisers.

(For anyone who thinks such observations a little harsh, iyiguveh’s sole post on the forum is written as if iyiguveh had no connection with the business, although the copyright of the restaurant website he/she mentions is prominently shown as "HALIL IYIGUVEN".)

It is a shame that a topic that was previously full of praise for the restaurant has been derailed by a lack of openness.

#27 Laura S

Laura S

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:12 PM

Just thought I would reply to this as went with a friend to this restaurant last night and thought it was a really good addition to Amersham's restaurants. A nice place just to sit and chat with a beer and the hot and cold meze dishes they do. Didn't feel under any pressure to eat up and go as you do in some places. Not sure I will partake in the complimentary milk pudding again but a nice touch... With regards to the comments above it was obviously written by someone connected to the business (although just as they did the website doesn't necessarily mean they own the business) but it seemed fairly open and obviously an advert for the restaurant written by someone who perhaps doesn't have English as their first language which is perhaps why they wrote it the way they did, but think its perhaps slightly unfair to say it was a complete lack of openness as the name and the way it was written will have made it obvious to most people it was an advertisement. I'm actually glad they posted as couldn't find their website when I was looking yesterday.

#28 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:21 PM

We expect anyone posting an advert to make clear their connection to the content. In this situation it may not have happened. I invite the poster to set the record straight one way or the other
Matthew P Jones

Follow Amershan News & Views on Twitter

Amersham News Views & Information is also on Facebook

Don't forget to read the Forum Rules!

#29 Guest_iyiguveh_*

Guest_iyiguveh_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:57 AM

Dear Sirs;

I am not the owner of the restaurant, I am a ordinary web designer who have nothing to do with being the owner of the restaurant. I was called by the Village Mangal restaurant to create a website for them.. I have been to the restaurant couple of times to get the managers and bosses idea on how to create the website, but I've never had a chance to taste the foods. I've just been there last week to do the presentation of the website to the owners, where I then got a plate of food as a award with a drink too.. Where I found the foods delicious and the staff welcoming customers in a polite way.. So therefore, I done a bit of research around the area and on the website too, where I found this forum site explaining ideas and comments on village mangal, where I thought it would be best for me as well as the web designer of the Village Mangal restaurant to add my thoughts of the restaurant.. I would again like to give notice that I have nothing to do with being the owner of the resaurant, I am a technician and a web designer, who just wanted to add it's own thoughts.

About this username being (iyiguveh) which is also named as Halil Iyiguven as the copyright. (iyiguveh) is my username/nickname I am usually known as between friends and business.

. As I have mentioned in my previous about comments: " I also found out that village mangal has their own website where they advertise the menu on web too. www.villagemangal.com
What a suprising, you can make booking and group bookings are welcome. "

I can be honest and generous with advertising, But this was because the food was really good and the staff's were honestly friendly.. I done a fair advertisement of the restaurant as an customer, not as a owner or manager. I have nothing to do with that thanks.. Therefore, I've only done a fair advertisement as friendly for the restaurants good, as well as for me too, to advertise the website I've created for a restaurant. Where again this doesn't mean that I am the owner of the restaurant. I've only added my comments as fair to be a customer of the restaurant.

Thanks to all who hope do understand my comment..

Yours Sincerely

Halil Iyiguven (A.K.A iyiguveh)

#30 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:02 AM

Dear Sirs;

I am not the owner of the restaurant, I am a ordinary web designer who have nothing to do with being the owner of the restaurant. I was called by the Village Mangal restaurant to create a website for them...

Well, that clears that up
Matthew P Jones

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

Amersham News, Views & Information Facebook Page