• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Charlotte

Charlotte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:53 PM

I wanted to take my friend out for dinner and he loves Italian and I was thinking of Guidos.

It would be great to hear some feedback on the place - quality, price etc etc. I have searched online but I haven't found much useful information.

I look forward to hearing back.

Thanks in advance.

:)

#2 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Interests:Family, Computers, the country side, the good life, pest control (Old Bill Pest Control) & anything diffrent

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:42 PM

I wanted to take my friend out for dinner and he loves Italian and I was thinking of Guidos.

It would be great to hear some feedback on the place - quality, price etc etc. I have searched online but I haven't found much useful information.

I look forward to hearing back.

Thanks in advance.

:)

I haven't been for some time, but I think it was excellent, and feedback from others I know seems to be the same, but i think it's price range indicates that. In Short I believe it's a great venue just not cheap.

#3 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:12 PM

It's like Marmite - you either love it or hate it. Admittedly, more people seem to fall into the former category but I've always found the food, the service, the atmosphere all to be very ordinary and unexciting. I've only ever been once when I was paying.
David P

#4 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Interests:Family, Computers, the country side, the good life, pest control (Old Bill Pest Control) & anything diffrent

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:08 PM

It's like Marmite - you either love it or hate it. Admittedly, more people seem to fall into the former category but I've always found the food, the service, the atmosphere all to be very ordinary and unexciting. I've only ever been once when I was paying.

You can not be serious :P

#5 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:48 AM

I'm with you on this one David, nothing special for the money they charge and it wouldn't be my choice of restaurant, and if I was paying never.

#6 ITSMEAGAIN

ITSMEAGAIN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:28 PM

The one thing I've always found is their consistency which is good and something very few restaurants achieve it seems to me - that is unless you can afford a Michelin stared one. And overall their quality is good, though I agree the menu can become boring since they rarely have any specials on offer.

#7 Milton

Milton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Cricket, music, travel.

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:13 PM

Anyone been lately? Thinking of a birthday meal put and wondered if there is any recent intelligence.

#8 jkracing

jkracing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

It reminds me of Fawlty Towers, now hold on a second before you jump to conclusions, I dont mean this in anyway do to with the bad service like Fawlty towers etc.. I just mean in the sense of traditional dining, the setting etc.. all reminds me of Fawlty Towers,

The food at Guidos is good but I feel like ive gone into a time warp. If you fancy a nice meal in a different setting to the usual italian restaurant and you want it made traditionally is the place to go, id go again. Its nothing amazing, but its ok, always seems busy.

#9 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:16 AM

That sounds rather charming - though it would depend on the occasion.

#10 Presendo

Presendo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:News about the area, cultural events and family activities

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:52 AM

I went there 2 years ago and I enjoyed the food. As we booked the first dinner slot I found weird that they kept everybody having drinks outside in their garden but it was actually nice. Not sure if they would that during winter though.
The decor is quite dated (more like grandma's place) but service was very good. Overall it was a nice experience. I went to Gilbey's a year later, decor is lovely but their food quality was not even close.

#11 jkracing

jkracing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

I went there 2 years ago and I enjoyed the food. As we booked the first dinner slot I found weird that they kept everybody having drinks outside in their garden but it was actually nice. Not sure if they would that during winter though.
The decor is quite dated (more like grandma's place) but service was very good. Overall it was a nice experience. I went to Gilbey's a year later, decor is lovely but their food quality was not even close.

We were kept for some considerable time in the bar area awaiting to be seated even though we booked.

#12 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:10 PM

We were kept for some considerable time in the bar area awaiting to be seated even though we booked.

That sounds in keeping with the reported old-fashioned style of the place (it was certainly the norm when I was growing up), so it may be a deliberate policy, rather than inefficiency.