• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#31 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Interests:Family, Computers, the country side, the good life, pest control (Old Bill Pest Control) & anything diffrent

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:00 PM

Maybe you should inform her.Congratulations on the bridleway outcome, didn't realise you had such an involvement.Would've been terrible had that gone ahead.

It would have been madness and an accident waiting to happen, 4x4 should be work machines on the land not recreational toys (unless of course it is on a purpose built area).

#32 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:22 PM

I don't suppose Ms Harker will put in her blog, that today at 15:55 (isn't that the time Challoners kicks out ?) she brought traffic to a standstill for the length of Hill Avenue. Our illustrious councillor and wanna be Tory MP parked her Chesham Bois Tractor on double yellow lines outside the phone shop in Hill Avenue, along came a bus which had to pull past the stop as MS Harker who shouldn't have been there had not left enough room, however a second bus then arrived and the driver double parked alongside side her blocking the movement of traffic in both directions on hill avenue for two minutes. By the time the buses pulled off the traffic was back to the station roundabout, and Ms Harker she was sat there admiring herself in her rearview mirror.

Care to reply Mimi ?

#33 HP6

HP6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:12 PM

she was sat there admiring herself in her rearview mirror.

Dear 147,

Thank you for expressing your concerns on this forum.

"Mirror signal manoeuvre" is a policy that councillors consider to be of paramount importance.

I am sorry you appear to disagree with this, but you will appreciate that council tax payers expect the highest standards of driving from their elected representatives.

Yours sincerely,

Piers Lamont

Director of Communications, Chiltern District Council

#34 Omnia

Omnia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:00 PM

That is a very tongue in cheek reply there, seems to come across as very patronising and sarcastic, but maybe that is just me. Thanks for the reply Piers.

#35 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:59 PM

That's a massive misunderstanding of a post for someone whose job title is Director of Communications.

#36 struthie

struthie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:40 PM

That is a very tongue in cheek reply there, seems to come across as very patronising and sarcastic, but maybe that is just me. Thanks for the reply Piers.

No it came across that way to me too - but then maybe I should "Get a life!"

#37 HP6

HP6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 05:14 PM

Er, no, it is a fairly obvious spoof of PR language that contains a deliberate misunderstanding of 147s post for comic effect, but if it is too subtle or breaches forum rules, then Im happy to withdraw it.

We seem to have gone off topic. Ill leave the floor for the Councillor to respond to the allegations.

Enjoy the Bank Holiday weekend. :rolleyes:

#38 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 05:26 PM

but if it is too subtle or breaches forum rules, then Im happy to withdraw it.

Far too subtle for me! :lol:

#39 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Interests:Family, Computers, the country side, the good life, pest control (Old Bill Pest Control) & anything diffrent

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:07 PM

Dear 147,
Thank you for expressing your concerns on this forum.

"Mirror signal manoeuvre" is a policy that councillors consider to be of paramount importance.

I am sorry you appear to disagree with this, but you will appreciate that council tax payers expect the highest standards of driving from their elected representatives.

Yours sincerely,

Piers Lamont
Director of Communications, Chiltern District Council

I hope I'm missing something and this is a joke!

Far too subtle for me! :lol:

and obviously me, but maybe I should have read to the end.

#40 Omnia

Omnia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:04 PM

Er, no, it is a fairly obvious spoof of PR language that contains a deliberate misunderstanding of 147's post for comic effect.

So should we beleive that the ending of your post was for comic effect as well, and infact you are not Director of Communications. If that is the fact, maybe I am starting to understand the joke.

Sarcasm is fairly hard to get across in a forum though, there is never quite the right smilie for it :blink: :unsure: :P

My view of the Mimi Blog is that it has lost its intention. I assume she created it to help get in touch with her local community, and show that she is a normal person. However we expect the people that fight for our rights and how we live our lives to always be the model professional. I guess that because of how the blog is written in this casual way, it results in us thinking she is not professional. This is a real shame, as I have worked with her, and she is excellent at what she does, and has really helped us on a number of ocassions. So maybe a rethink of the blog is needed. But guess you have to try these things.

Its better to try and fail, than to be afraid of failure and never rewrite the rules. But with the blog, it gets people talking, and we are a lot more in touch with her day to day life, so it has suceeded in some ways.

#41 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:15 PM

Well said, sir.

#42 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:33 PM

Er, no, it is a fairly obvious spoof

It didn't look genuine to me either, and a quick Google indicates a predictable lack of communications from Piers Lamont of Chiltern. Just because it's not April 1st, there's no need to suspend critical faculties! ;)

#43 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:28 PM

Is she also not using her position as a local councilor as a stepping stone to a carreer in Westminster ?

As I said before, that's a common route. And a recent blog entry is explicit about her plans to get a parliamentary seat, so it's not as if she's hiding her ambitions: http://www.mimiharker.co.uk/?p=152.

#44 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:42 PM

As I said before, that's a common route. And a recent blog entry is explicit about her plans to get a parliamentary seat, so it's not as if she's hiding her ambitions: http://www.mimiharker.co.uk/?p=152.

Well, she wanted to be a QVC presenter once and took part in the contest to find a new presenter
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

Amersham News, Views & Information Facebook Page

#45 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:50 PM

One of her posts today is intriguing: Mimi's blog # 157.

She exhorts people to vote in the local elections (fair enough).

Then she says not to bother voting in the Euro elections because "75% of our legislation is dictated to us from there and we have no control and no say" (which is surely more reason to be involved?) - and that is in the same paragraph that she says she previously tried to be a candidate for Europe.

Very confused and confusing: what does she really think about MEPs? I couldn't figure it out.

#46 HP6

HP6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:03 PM

Then she says not to bother voting in the Euro elections because "75% of our legislation is dictated to us from there and we have no control and no say" (which is surely more reason to be involved?) - and that is in the same paragraph that she says she previously tried to be a candidate for Europe.

Very confused and confusing: what does she really think about MEPs? I couldn't figure it out.

Well spotted! Is the answer: "it depends on the outcome of the selection procedure"? If selected/elected: MEPs = good, otherwise, MEPs = rubbish. :rolleyes:

#47 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:28 PM

She's been awarded an OBE for services to women of ethnic minorities and for community work in Amersham. See BFP article. Be warned that many of the comments are typical of those on the BFP site.

(Her blog was discontinued a while ago and is no longer available.)

#48 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:17 PM

(Her blog was discontinued a while ago and is no longer available.)

I'm distraught.
Mel and Co

#49 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:11 PM

Her blog is no more, but Mimi is the new mayor of Amersham: BFP article.

#50 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:27 PM

Hopefully she'll be too busy to inflict her vacuous claptrap on the internet now.

#51 struthie

struthie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:52 PM

Oh joy.

#52 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:34 PM

One has to assume that her only interest in standing for the town council was so that she could become mayor. All pre-planned by a Tory clique?
David P

#53 roob_the_doob

roob_the_doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:49 PM

One has to assume that her only interest in standing for the town council was so that she could become mayor.

That's exactly what I was told at the count last week, by several candidates of different hues.

#54 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:36 AM

Her blog is no more, but Mimi is the new mayor of Amersham: BFP article.

Bearing in my we have to rely on the BFP for the quote, I was surprised Mimi made no mention of HS2. Whatever ones views on HS2, it is a major issue for many in Amersham, so I thought some mention of it might have been made, if it was and the BFP did not report it then I stand corrected, but I think the BFP may have mentioned it if it had been included in her statement.

Actually, I'm not sure how much Amersham Town Coucnil could influence HS2, but any voice for or against would be valid and welcome. In fact being mayor of Amersham, although an honour, could be seen as only a small step for Mimi and her ambitions.
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

Amersham News, Views & Information Facebook Page

#55 HP6

HP6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:53 PM

J B Blackett of High Wycombe fancies himself as a pun master. See comments below and also on the link posted by Eaton regarding the Chesham Bois flasher. :rolleyes:

#56 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:43 PM

I was surprised Mimi made no mention of HS2.

Yes, whether she's for or against, it's bizarre not to mention it.

Keep an eye out for her at the anti HS2 thing at King George V fields tomorrow/Sunday and the official exhibition at the Rugby Club on the 18th and 19th. ;)

#57 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:53 PM

Er, no, it is a fairly obvious spoof of PR language that contains a deliberate misunderstanding of 147's post for comic effect, but if it is too subtle or breaches forum rules, then I'm happy to withdraw it.

Agh!! Fell for it AGAIN!!!

#58 HP6

HP6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

Fran was first with the (BFP's) news last time, but she's been re-elected unopposed.

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/localnews/amersham/9706203.One_Mayor_stays_but_another_goes_in_Amersham_and_Chesham/
Congratulations. I just hope nobody is unkind enough to suggest there is a potential conflict of interest.

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2010/06/female-heads-of-government

#59 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

I just hope nobody is unkind enough to suggest there is a potential conflict of interest.

I don't see why there would be. Most national politicians start off in local government - and those that haven't are often criticised for the lack of local-level experience.

#60 HP6

HP6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:59 PM

I don't see why there would be. Most national politicians start off in local government - and those that haven't are often criticised for the lack of local-level experience.

Yes, although the second link (and helpful photo ;)) suggests she’s making the journey in reverse.

Argentina and Amersham are two very different places that make it hard to justify a jobshare. One is a place troubled by crumbling roads and housing issues, the other is a country in South America.