Mimi Harker's Blog

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:53 PM

One of the higher profile local councillors has her own blog: http://www.mimiharker.co.uk/.

It's an original and excited view of the world (and the slight lack of conventional punctuation and spelling is compensated for by a plethora of exclamation marks)... ;)

#2 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:00 PM

She is a bit too full on for me, but I know she has her fans. :)

#3 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Interests:Family, Computers, the country side, the good life, pest control (Old Bill Pest Control) & anything diffrent

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:58 PM

One of the higher profile local councillors has her own blog: http://www.mimiharker.co.uk/.

It's an original and excited view of the world (and the slight lack of conventional punctuation and spelling is compensated for by a plethora of exclamation marks)... ;)

We may need to educate our future population in the English Language, to improve things, but some of us are stuck with what appears to be a thicky label, and some with real problems, if there has to be a moan at language then can it be in a folder of its own so we can avoid it?

#4 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:02 PM

A triumph in banality. Incidentally you know how you sometimes glance at a word and read it wrong, well I read blog to read brag, just about summed it up!
Mel and Co

#5 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:48 PM

We may need to educate our future population in the English Language, to improve things, but some of us are stuck with what appears to be a thicky label, and some with real problems, if there has to be a moan at language then can it be in a folder of its own so we can avoid it?

Comments about language etc are mostly in separate topics, and I certainly wouldn't want to upset anyone with "real problems" as you put it.

However, I find it odd that she doesn't at least run it through a spell checker to pick up some of the more obvious typos, such as "Recpetion" and "togther". Politics is partly about image (often, too much so) and such carelessness doesn't make a good impression and sits oddly with the general self-congratulatory tone.

#6 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:45 PM

sits oddly with the general self-congratulatory tone.

= I'm too busy to bother with such things. You plebs should be grateful for what you get.
David P

#7 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Interests:Family, Computers, the country side, the good life, pest control (Old Bill Pest Control) & anything diffrent

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:53 PM

Comments about language etc are mostly in separate topics, and I certainly wouldn't want to upset anyone with "real problems" as you put it.

However, I find it odd that she doesn't at least run it through a spell checker to pick up some of the more obvious typos, such as "Recpetion" and "togther". Politics is partly about image (often, too much so) and such carelessness doesn't make a good impression and sits oddly with the general self-congratulatory tone.

Fran I didn't read it, simply because I am unable to pick out the faults:(

= I'm too busy to bother with such things. You plebs should be grateful for what you get.

David
when you are a pleb like me this written word stuff is hard work, unlike face on.

#8 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:26 PM

So, Alan, I'm moved to ask... why are you posting in this thread if all you have to say (more than once) is that you don't understand it?

#9 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:38 AM

Mimi Harker = NIMBY who bought a house built in somebody elses backyard.

#10 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:31 PM

Higher profile she may be but I take it that she wouldn't win any of our votes?
David P

#11 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:03 PM

So, Alan, I'm moved to ask... why are you posting in this thread if all you have to say (more than once) is that you don't understand it?

I didn't say I didn't understand, I just can't pick out the mistakes as easily, I have a problem with words, spelling and grammar. Spell checkers get me the correct spell, just the wrong word.

#12 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:48 PM

Higher profile she may be but I take it that she wouldn't win any of our votes?

I'm not in her ward, and it would depend on the alternatives, but she does stretch my credulity somewhat.

#13 struthie

struthie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:05 AM

Not keen after she nearly ran me off of the road in her 4 x 4 by Elangeni school , what a charmer!

#14 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:24 PM

Happy Birthday, Mimi. It's nice to know you read this forum (for anyone else, the third paragraph of Birthday blog 10th March answers several of the comments of Eaton, Struthie and others above). Please feel free to join in the debate on this thread or any others, as well as on your own blog.

In answer to your problem about the blogging application not including a spell checker, you could write the entries in MS Word (or similar) and then cut and paste it into the blog. Minimal extra effort for a much better end result. :)

#15 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:15 PM

the third paragraph of Blog 10 March

Which can be summarised as 'lick my boots or ******* off', making most of the criticisms above look rather weak.
Perhaps Mimi would consider including that paragraph in her next election address?

(The auto-censor replaced my very mild expletive with asterisks)
David P

#16 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:22 PM

Someone who oviously has her head wedged very tightly up her own back passage.

#17 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:38 PM

Get off the fence and make your views known please, 147!

#18 struthie

struthie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:46 PM

I didn't say she nearly ran me over I said she nearly ran me off of the road , in simple terms that meant that she didn't give way as she was driving past Elangeni school or to be very clear the front entrance to chestnut lane school , which means she was driving along chestnut Lane itself - I'm sure she has driven along there more recently more than 6 years ago.

She should try and read properly what we have all written,that will be the day!

#19 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 04:22 PM

Get off the fence and make your views known please, 147!

I'm always deeply suspiciouse of people who big themselves up as caring about the community.
Could not the bigger picture be that she is or was a local councilor (who gets paid expenses, so there is a reward for time and effort) purely to have a more vocal say in stopping a development of houses near to her ?Is she also not using her position as a local councilor as a stepping stone to a carreer in Westminster ? And if she is it won't be our community that she will be caring about because the Conservative Party are hardly likely to offer her Chesham and Amershams seat.

#20 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 04:45 PM

I'm always deeply suspiciouse of people who big themselves up as caring about the community.
Could not the bigger picture be that she is or was a local councilor (who gets paid expenses, so there is a reward for time and effort) purely to have a more vocal say in stopping a development of houses near to her ?Is she also not using her position as a local councilor as a stepping stone to a carreer in Westminster ? And if she is it won't be our community that she will be caring about because the Conservative Party are hardly likely to offer her Chesham and Amershams seat.

I think I know what you mean.
It's her slightly manic delivery that rings alarm bells with me. She professes to be deeply caring and altruistic, laudable qualities which require commitment, determination and prudence yet her blog is fractured, clearly self promotional and littered with mistakes.
I wondered if we are nothing more than a launchpad for her Westminster career too. She could be the Jacqui Smith of the right! That said, given her writing skills, I'd suggest a career in one of our local papers, rather than at the dispatch box.

#21 struthie

struthie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:38 PM

And why didn't she reply here? As she is obviously reading.

#22 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:02 PM

Is she also not using her position as a local councilor as a stepping stone to a carreer in Westminster ?

Probably. She has already applied for and been shortlisted for other parliamentary seats. However, any parliamentary candidate would struggle for credibility, let alone votes, if they had not already been involved in local politics, so she's not unusual in that respect. Would you rather have MPs without prior experience of elections and politics?

And why didn't she reply here? As she is obviously reading.

Yes, I thought that odd. By replying on her blog, rather than here, she has broadcast the criticism to a wider audience!

#23 Omnia

Omnia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:23 PM

Someone needs to mention to her its actually Bucks Sports, not Sports Bucks. Just a small thing :D

#24 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:30 PM

She's clearly considerably more important than any of us. We should be humbled we even get a mention on her blog.
A psychologist would find it fascinating.

#25 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:47 AM

She's clearly considerably more important than any of us. We should be humbled we even get a mention on her blog.
A psychologist would find it fascinating.

If she puts her head up above the parapet, then good for her, but then she should expect to receive comments good and bad, No we don't have to read it. I tried to leave a comment on her blog, but I don't think it worked. I invited her to come on this forum and comments on those commenting on her. I also said dismissing bad comments did not help her and it was inconsiderate to tell someone to get a life if they have experienced a bad car incident
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

Amersham News, Views & Information Facebook Page

#26 struthie

struthie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:18 PM

Thank you for trying Matthew.

#27 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:07 PM

The nice thing about a blog is that it's easy to make it a one sided conversation. I too tried to 'leave a comment' on her website, but got errors.
I wonder if she's willing to post here and feel the white heat of internet democracy?

#28 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:10 PM

The nice thing about a blog is that it's easy to make it a one sided conversation. I too tried to 'leave a comment' on her website, but got errors.
I wonder if she's willing to post here and feel the white heat of internet democracy?

Perhaps she might want to post here and tell us exactly what she has done for the community.

#29 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:18 PM

Having been away for almost 3 weeks I've missed most of this but I do have to comment on one thing:

I believe that I said that I misread it as brag and I stand by my comment. Mimi has made some ridiculous comments suggesting that I should stand for local elections and do something for the community. Perhaps if she was more aware of the local populations views then she would have known that I was a founding member of the ABC action group which stopped the illegal use of motorbikes on local bridleways and helped overturn DEFRA's original decision to allow vehicular rights which was based upon the local conservative councils badly researched information, in fact perhaps I should say that the local council didn't bother to research it at all!
Mel and Co

#30 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:39 PM

Having been away for almost 3 weeks I've missed most of this but I do have to comment on one thing:

I believe that I said that I misread it as brag and I stand by my comment. Mimi has made some ridiculous comments suggesting that I should stand for local elections and do something for the community. Perhaps if she was more aware of the local populations views then she would have known that I was a founding member of the ABC action group which stopped the illegal use of motorbikes on local bridleways and helped overturn DEFRA's original decision to allow vehicular rights which was based upon the local conservative councils badly researched information, in fact perhaps I should say that the local council didn't bother to research it at all!

Maybe you should inform her.Congratulations on the bridleway outcome, didnt realise you had such an involvement.Wouldve been terrible had that gone ahead.