23 replies to this topic

#1 barbara

barbara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:19 AM

I went into the newly opened Neil's yesterday,and had a lovely capacinno for 1.75,and it was good.But what attracted me most was the deli,they had lots of lovely food,with tasters,and I had some very nice Italian cheese,all freshly cut.The staff were very helpful,and I will certainly be going in again.I hope they do ok,as I think a good deli is what we need rather than just a coffee shop.

#2 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:10 AM

I went into the newly opened Neil's yesterday,and had a lovely capacinno for 1.75,and it was good.But what attracted me most was the deli,they had lots of lovely food,with tasters,and I had some very nice Italian cheese,all freshly cut.The staff were very helpful,and I will certainly be going in again.I hope they do ok,as I think a good deli is what we need rather than just a coffee shop.

We've not been in yet, I expect we will. Just curious about the layout of places that are a cafe and something else (Deli in this case). What should be at the front? In this case it appears to be tables by the window, so you have to go in and have a look at the Deli, but that tends to put us off as you have go in just to have a look, you can't window shop easily. So one can feel awkward going in to have a look and getting in the way of those wanting coffee etc. If space permits, we think that separate areas are best, but I guess in this case there is not room, hope it does well as both.
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

Amersham News, Views & Information Facebook Page

#3 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,202 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:54 PM

As well as cheese, cold meats and pastries, they sell a selection of authentic Italian dried pasta, sauces and preserves and also make sandwiches to order from a selection of fillings.

#4 SallyH

SallyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:49 PM

As well as cheese, cold meats and pastries, they sell a selection of authentic Italian dried pasta, sauces and preserves and also make sandwiches to order from a selection of fillings.

I have really enjoyed the mozzerella, tomato and pesto sandwiches they have made for me a couple of times this week. Plus an interesting choice of bread, I went for the rustic seeded triangular roll. Friendly staff, delicious sandwich and ingredients on display all looked fresh and 'home made'. Will definitely go again.

#5 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:58 PM

I went in for the first time today and, yes, they have some nice stuff in there. However, it is no match for Lucia's in Chesham.
David P

#6 ITSMEAGAIN

ITSMEAGAIN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:17 AM

I went in for the first time today and, yes, they have some nice stuff in there. However, it is no match for Lucia's in Chesham.

I disagree. I thought Neils was better than Lucias when it first opened but now it's settled in there's absolutely no contest. For me it wins hands down and I go there regularly. Lucias has no real atmosphere or comfy area to sit, whereas Neils has a good variety of goods, (which surprisingly compare very favorably in price to the supermarkets) and it has plenty of atmosphere. Unfortunately the sitting area is small but very welcoming for all that. They also serve Illy coffee which I think is far better than the over-promoted and watered down "Costas" of this world, and all their food is freshly prepared so you might have to wait at lunch times, but the wait will be worth it. Their hand made cakes are to die for! Try it again!

Edited by Fran, 21 December 2009 - 01:30 PM.
Merged two posts, so quote and comment on it were in the same post

#7 gazza13

gazza13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:32 AM

I disagree. I thought Neils was better than Lucias when it first opened but now it's settled in there's absolutely no contest. For me it wins hands down and I go there regularly. Lucias has no real atmosphere or comfy area to sit, whereas Neils has a good variety of goods, (which surprisingly compare very favorably in price to the supermarkets) and it has plenty of atmosphere. Unfortunately the sitting area is small but very welcoming for all that. They also serve Illy coffee which I think is far better than the over-promoted and watered down "Costas" of this world, and all their food is freshly prepared so you might have to wait at lunch times, but the wait will be worth it. Their hand made cakes are to die for! Try it again!

This sounds like self promotion to me.

#8 mitzi

mitzi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:43 PM

If this cafe is so great - how come whenever I walk past (3 or four times a week) - I haven't seen a soul in there?! :huh:

#9 gazza13

gazza13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 12:13 PM

If this cafe is so great - how come whenever I walk past (3 or four times a week) - I haven't seen a soul in there?! :huh:

Precisely.

#10 ITSMEAGAIN

ITSMEAGAIN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:57 PM

Can't speak for other times but it's never been empty at lunchtimes which is when I've been there.

#11 Sue G

Sue G

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:07 PM

I have to agree with those that have been in and tried the food at Neil's - it's really delicious and I definitely recommend it. I'd really like to see Amersham residents supporting these independent cafe/deli's more frequently rather than the familiar but awful food you get in Costa and Starbucks.

#12 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:58 PM

the familiar but awful food you get in Costa and Starbucks.

I can't bear the smell of coffee so am unlikely to go into any coffee shop but I thought the whole idea of them was that you went in for coffee and not food.
Mel and Co

#13 gazza13

gazza13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:29 PM

Neil's Deli seems to have gone and been replaced with another cafe/sandwich bar.

#14 SallyH

SallyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:22 AM

Neil's Deli seems to have gone and been replaced with another cafe/sandwich bar.

Yes I noticed that this morning. Must have been rather sudden because I was an irregular regular and Neil's parents always came out to chat and make a fuss of my dog, but they never gave any indication that change was afoot. Let's hope Neil and co have gone on to bigger and better things. Their Hummingbird Cake was a favourite of mine, so perhaps it is a blessing that I will no longer be tempted!

#15 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:44 PM

We just got a leaflet today from Mr Peri Peri, a kebab and chicken takeaway joint, which gives it's address as 17 Sycamore Rd. As far as I can tell, this used to be Neils.

The flyer has no pictures of the place, but it does have an odd mix of stuff. There's white and red wine on the menu, plus spirits, Stella and Peroni, along with coffees and teas as well as the usual evening takeaway fare such as kebabs and burgers. What's new to the town is their grilled chicken. Prices seem average so I think I'll try them out, they deliver too!

#16 gazza13

gazza13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

It was something else before it was Mr Peri Peri which it has been for a few months. Some sort of coffee shop I think. The shop seems to be in a position that you don't notice it much.

#17 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

Have seen a "tweet" which says

" according to the menu for the new kebab house, mr Piri Piri, their kofte is prepared with a variety of spies."

Matthew Jones - posting from mobile device
Matthew P Jones

Follow Amershan News & Views on Twitter

Amersham News Views & Information is also on Facebook

Don't forget to read the Forum Rules!

#18 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

spies?

#19 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:14 PM

Spies indeed, makes for fine dinning
Matthew P Jones

Follow Amershan News & Views on Twitter

Amersham News Views & Information is also on Facebook

Don't forget to read the Forum Rules!

#20 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

But the word it should be still doesn't make any sense?
"according to the menu for the new kebab house, mr Piri Piri, their kofte is prepared with a variety of pies"

#21 roob_the_doob

roob_the_doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:42 AM

spices

#22 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:32 AM

I'm sure it's pies. :D

#23 gazza13

gazza13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

Spies, its number 007 on the menu :D

#24 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

My Turkish isn't all that good, but a Google translation seems to suggest the place is for sale again.

http://translate.goo...ial&prmd=imvnso