#1 Kawasaki

Kawasaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Family and local history

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:59 AM

My great-grandfather, Thomas Ayres, born 1841, was a blacksmith in Amersham High Street in the late 19th and early 20th century. A photograph of him, taken in 1880 by George Ward and in the Amersham Museum, shows him standing at his anvil.
The 1901 census has him living at 'Sherwood', almost opposite the museum. However, I am unable to identify the location of his forge and where the photogrpah was taken. I suspect it may have been behind 'The Worthies', but the houses there are so much restored that it's impossible to identify any of the brickwork which shows very clearly in the photograph.
If anyone has any clues as to the precise location of his forge I'd be grateful.

#2 yoyo1964

yoyo1964

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:37 PM

My great-grandfather, Thomas Ayres, born 1841, was a blacksmith in Amersham High Street in the late 19th and early 20th century. A photograph of him, taken in 1880 by George Ward and in the Amersham Museum, shows him standing at his anvil.
The 1901 census has him living at 'Sherwood', almost opposite the museum. However, I am unable to identify the location of his forge and where the photogrpah was taken. I suspect it may have been behind 'The Worthies', but the houses there are so much restored that it's impossible to identify any of the brickwork which shows very clearly in the photograph.
If anyone has any clues as to the precise location of his forge I'd be grateful.

Hi

I'm interested in the information you give about Thomas Ayres. He was my great great grandfather through his daughter Gertrude. I used to live in the Amersham and Chesham area many years ago and of course it has all changed so much. Although I can't help you with the whereabouts of 'Sherwood' I am interested in the location of his Blacksmiths business and whether you managed to solve the mystery. I would love to see the photo you mention and when I am next in the area I will make a point of visiting the museum.

#3 Kawasaki

Kawasaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Family and local history

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:46 AM

Hi

I'm interested in the information you give about Thomas Ayres. He was my great great grandfather through his daughter Gertrude. I used to live in the Amersham and Chesham area many years ago and of course it has all changed so much. Although I can't help you with the whereabouts of 'Sherwood' I am interested in the location of his Blacksmiths business and whether you managed to solve the mystery. I would love to see the photo you mention and when I am next in the area I will make a point of visiting the museum.

Hi Newby,

Looking at my Ayres family tree I would guess that you are one of the Pratts. I was at school with Sylvia Pratt, a second cousin. I've done a lot of reseach on the Ayres family tree and have the photograph of Thomas Ayres, blacksmith, to which I referred in my posting. I can email these to you if you are interested, but I'm not sure about the security of posting email addresses on this forum. If you wish to telephone me to exchange addresses my number is 01782 639170.

Richard

#4 sarah

sarah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:17 PM

Hi

I live at a victorian house on the High Street called 'Sherwood'........near the museum. I wonder if the builder named the house after the original 'Sherwood' ??

sarah