37 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:44 PM

As mentioned elsewhere, Spice and Herbs has changed. It now has a lovely new illuminated sign saying Mango Lounge, shame they can't spell dining on their sign, Poppet pointed out to me they have on the sign "dinning"
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on Twitter

Amersham News Views & Information is also on Facebook

Don't forget to read the Forum Rules!

#2 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:12 AM

Yes not the best advertisement.I remember as a child asking my mother (while at a till of a pick your own) why does it say they are open 8 days a week?The cashier started to glow red. :)

#3 HP6

HP6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:13 AM

There's a nail bar on Hill Avenue that can't spell "extensions".

#4 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,192 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:51 AM

There's a nail bar on Hill Avenue that can't spell "extensions".

And the sign writers opposite Bellybusters have a sign saying they can do something or other with photo's. :angry:

There is a Mango Lounge in Windsor, so I would assume this one is an offshoot (if not, they may have to change the name again).

#5 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:15 PM

And the sign writers opposite Bellybusters have a sign saying they can do something or other with photo's. :angry:

It could be an abbreviation of 'photographs' - though I doubt it.
David P

#6 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,192 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:51 PM

I walked past this morning and read the menu. It looked fine, but there was nothing that jumped out as particularly different from anywhere else. Let's see what reports of the actual food are like.

#7 greenspecs

greenspecs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:21 PM

As mentioned elsewhere, Spice and Herbs has changed. It now has a lovely new illuminated sign saying Mango Lounge, shame they can't spell dining on their sign, Poppet pointed out to me they have on the sign "dinning"

We were really disappointed to find that our favourite Indian has transmogrified. Any ideas what happened or where they went? Their menu and cooking was beyond the run-of-the-mill and the service excellent

#8 HP6

HP6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:45 AM

And the sign writers opposite Bellybusters have a sign saying they can do something or other with photo's. Posted Image

Apologies for thread hijacking again, but there's another one for the collection on the corner of Woodside Road and Sycamore Road:

"Member Ships available"

Posted Image

#9 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:05 PM

The original Mango sign I think was taken down the other day, possibly for correction?
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

Amersham News, Views & Information Facebook Page

#10 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,192 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 06:30 PM

"Member Ships available"[/img]

Brilliant.

The original Mango sign I think was taken down the other day, possibly for correction?

The main fascia, featuring "dinning" was up at lunch time today.

Has anyone actually eaten there yet, and if so, how does the food compare with all the other Indian restaurants in the area?

#11 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,192 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:01 AM

The spelling of the sign has been fixed - but we still haven't got round to the more important task of trying the food.

#12 roob_the_doob

roob_the_doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:07 AM

The spelling of the sign has been fixed - but we still haven't got round to the more important task of trying the food.

We had a takeaway on Friday. Main meals very tasty and well-spiced. The fish jalfrezi was particularly good, lovely fresh clean chilli flavours without being *too* hot. Aloo gobi was a bit disappointing though, not much flavour. One of the really good things about Spice and Herbs was the high quality of all their vegetable side dishes.

We'll be trying an eat-in soon.

#13 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,192 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:40 PM

We just had a takeaway from the Mango Lounge, and like Roob, enjoyed it very much (except for the pilau rice). Good strong flavours, including a delicious vegetable dish that we'd never had before.

#14 Bagsandscarper

Bagsandscarper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:43 PM

We used to love Spices and Herbs and went 3/4 times a month and tried Mango Lounge but sadly it is not as good although they are trying. The portion sizes have diminished a bit too but maybe this is a common issue rather than raise prices.
I will continue to visit them and hope they will improve.
Tried Santhi the other evening and it was very good but very busy.

#15 roob_the_doob

roob_the_doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:34 PM

We used to love Spices and Herbs and went 3/4 times a month and tried Mango Lounge but sadly it is not as good although they are trying. The portion sizes have diminished a bit too but maybe this is a common issue rather than raise prices.
I will continue to visit them and hope they will improve.
Tried Santhi the other evening and it was very good but very busy.

While I might agree that it isn't as good as Spice and Herbs, it's a little harsh to even make the comparison. It may not reach those heights, but it's still well above the run-of-the-mill.

#16 wittonend

wittonend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:40 PM

While I might agree that it isn't as good as Spice and Herbs, it's a little harsh to even make the comparison. It may not reach those heights, but it's still well above the run-of-the-mill.

I had a takeaway from the Mango Lounge tonight for the first time. The portions were as good as anywhere, the food well up to expectations and not overpriced, while the service fast and very courteous. I'll be going back.

#17 HP6

HP6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:20 PM

First time diner (or is that dinner?) last night. Tasty food, good service and an uplifting view of Wimpy across the road :).

#18 mvjt

mvjt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

This restaurant seems to have changed hands again.
There is a sign tied over the Mango Lounge sign with a new name Mumbai Masala, I think.

#19 gazza13

gazza13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:40 AM

This restaurant seems to have changed hands again.
There is a sign tied over the Mango Lounge sign with a new name Mumbai Masala, I think.

Yup, we noticed it walking back from a lovely trip to the Mangal. It seems to have changed over the weekend.

#20 HP6

HP6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

Went to Mumbai Masala last night.

The food is still good, the service is attentive. We were offered free tea/coffee because they felt the large party near us was making a racket (even though we hadn't complained about it).

#21 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:18 PM

Walked past recently and it all looks shut up and closed. Has it closed or are they refurbishing?

#22 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:25 AM

Pretty sure I read a note on the door saying it was being refurbished .... let's see....

#23 gazza13

gazza13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:29 AM

It has been closed for some time with the closed for refurb sign, at least since June, but no sign of activity.

#24 Milton

Milton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Cricket, music, travel.

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:11 PM

Signs up today advertising the imminent opening of Blue Lily Indian Restaurant. The logo looked similar to near neighbour Blue Orchid Thai restaurant and I vaguely remember there being some connection between the two.

Looks like the title of this thread may need a third addition!

#25 gazza13

gazza13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

Signs up today advertising the imminent opening of Blue Lily Indian Restaurant. The logo looked similar to near neighbour Blue Orchid Thai restaurant and I vaguely remember there being some connection between the two.

I noticed this today as well, it will be a right bunch of flowers on that parade with the Blue Orchid Thai a couple of doors along. The web site hasn't much to offer yet.  

#26 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,192 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:34 PM

I noticed this today as well, it will be a right bunch of flowers on that parade with the Blue Orchid Thai a couple of doors along. The web site hasn't much to offer yet.  

Maybe we need a few  more florists in town (to go with all the estate agents, hairdressers, charity shops, coffee shops, Indian restaurants and supermarkets). ;)

#27 gazza13

gazza13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:34 AM

We walked past yesterday and the colour scheme and all the writing do indeed look the similar as the Blue Orchid. 

#28 roob_the_doob

roob_the_doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:51 AM

Someone's been playing with their video editor, using all its effects at once...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=dfFwAQHW8vA

#29 gazza13

gazza13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:05 AM

We got a menu delivered through the door for the Blue Lily Indian yesterday, 15% off takeaways. Their web site says, "Latest news, 18-12-13 NEW YEAR BOOKINGS NOW BEING TAKEN".

So thinking it might be worth a try this weekend we walked down and looked through the cracks in the covering outside to discover the place is much the same it was before Christmas, an empty shell with what looks like a posh wooden bar area in the corner. It doesn't look like it will be serving us any time soon.

http://www.bluelilyamersham.co.uk  is the web site. 

#30 roob_the_doob

roob_the_doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

Just before Xmas we wanted a takeaway, and I assumed it had opened by now since I hadn't been past recently. I found the phone number, but my call was directed to the Blue Orchid. They said it would be open on the 18th Jan.