• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lawrence

lawrence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:25 PM

I'v just discovered that my great grandmother was living in The Platt around 1850+ and hope to find out more but don't know where to start. Any ideas? Do the names Eden or Lawrence ring bells anywhere?Fingers crossed.

#2 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:30 AM

I'm hearing bells ringing. :)
I'm not born and/or bred in the town though, so I think I'm not relevant to you.

#3 lawrence

lawrence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:59 PM

I'v just discovered that my great grandmother was living in The Platt around 1850+ and hope to find out more but don't know where to start. Any ideas? Do the names Eden or Lawrence ring bells anywhere?Fingers crossed.

Ho Ho Ho, and a merry Christmas
thanks anywayPosted Image

#4 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,171 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:41 PM

I'm hearing bells ringing. :)

It's the time of year. ;)

#5 lawrence

lawrence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:02 PM

It's the time of year. Posted Image

slap round lug'ole with wet cod also known Posted Image to produce ringing in ears!

#6 Frodo

Frodo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:05 AM

Hi,

Its always challenging trying to find relatives for the first. Do you know your great grandmother's Christian Name?

For starters try

http://freereg.rootsweb.com/index.htm or

http://www.freebmd.o...k/cgi/search.pl

There are a few Lawrences showing up in Amersham around 1850.

You may find a visit to the reference section of Amersham library or the Records office in Aylesbury useful - look for local history books or Tithe records. I would initially avoid genes reunited and other pay per view genealogy sites as you can spend a fortune very easily.

#7 msfire128

msfire128

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:19 PM

Lawrence, I don't know about Lawrences in the area but there were Edens. My ancestor Edward Eden was a master chairmaker living on The Platt in 1863 when he died. His wife, Maria Monck, died in 1847. Edward was born in Amersham to William and Mary Sibley Eden. Both William and Edward had several children who were born and lived in Amersham. I have some parish records. Please contact me and I will try to help.