Green Shoots?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:12 AM

I have mixed feelings about this, but I've just noticed that building has restarted at the site on First Avenue.

It took many years, many applications and an appeal to the national Planning Inspectorate to get planning permission. They cleared the site, then the economy dived and all work on the site stopped. It has recently restarted and is progressing quite quickly.

I wonder if we will soon see a flurry of deferred applications for other infill developments.

#2 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:28 PM

From the time we moved here until the end of 2007, there seemed to be a lot of estate agents for sale signs around. During the last year or so, many of them disappeared, but I did notice that those houses that were put up for sale invariably sold. Two houses very close to use changed hands during 2009. Must have been something I said. :) Anyway, I am getting the impression that there are more and more houses for sale every week and it's been this way for a month or so now.

#3 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:29 PM

Even in the worst of a slump, there will always be some people who need to move out of their existing homes, whereas investing money and labour on building new homes is more readily stopped. Still, if both are picking up, that's probably a good sign in general terms (though maybe not for our immediate neighbourhood).

#4 KevinR

KevinR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:36 AM

I wonder if we will soon see a flurry of deferred applications for other infill developments.

Looks like you are correct Fran. A property developer has just put in a planning application for our neighboring house and large garden, to knock down the existing house and build two larger houses in its place. It looks like the developer was waiting for the market to pick up before starting this.

#5 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:00 PM

I'd be classed as part of the construction industry, even though I'm in the engineering field.When I was made redundant back in May it was incredibly quiet within the industry and remained that way for months.Agency after agency werent sounding too positive & were telling me that they hadnt had any jobs come onto their books for months,some of them even a year.They felt the bottom had dropped out of the market.Problem I also found with jobs is that although a vacancy would appear,right at the last minute funding would be pulled and the vacancy dissapear.The competition in the market was incredibly tough.Vacancies I applied for had over 200 applicants through one agency alone within two days.

However within the last two months I'd noticed that there were many more jobs apearing and some of the agencies were sounding alot more positive.I'd also notice that some agencies had vacancies in my field that hadnt since I was out of work.Many of the vacancies seemed to start off with the Groundworks and Civil Engineering and then filtering through to the Architectural and Building Services field.

Also watching the news there were signs that construction companies were making their way back onto construction sites that they had previously abandoned due to the financial problems.Also share prices for construction companies have started to steadily increase.If you look around at how much construction is going on there appears to be a definate upswing in work.Unemployment figures started to increase at there slowest rate in the last two months of 2009 and the JSA claimant rate has gone down.

Being unemployed and eager to get back to work I found myself constantly watching for signs of improvemnt in the unemployment and construction industry.So from my point of view it appears the construction industry is starting to improve.