53 replies to this topic

#31 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,487 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:53 PM

Does anyone know if the proposal to build a huge Sainsbury's on the Iceland site in Sycamore Road Amersham is going ahead? I was told it was and that it will be huge, virtually taking over the car park at the rear and some of the houses in Rickmansworth Road. It will mean losing even more independent shops and surely Amersham doesn't warrant another giant, so hopefully it won't happen!!

I've merged these two topics into one.
Mel and Co

#32 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:22 PM

It will mean losing even more independent shops and surely Amersham doesn't warrant another giant, so hopefully it won't happen!!

Since Tesco is well and truly overcrowded, it clearly does.
I would have thought that Sainsbury in the new town would actually attract more people there to the benefit of the independent shops. Otherwise why has Chesham got far more thriving independents that Amersham?
Every time a new supermarket is proposed there is a huge outcry about it, yet I do not know of a single supermarket that has failed, proving that people do want them, whatever they say.
David P

#33 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:03 PM

I still think the idea of supporting independant stores for the sake of it is a little misguided.The independant store could likely be owned by someone who doesnt live in the town,so there isnt financial benefit to the town from that area.The same staff would likely be employed at an independant store as the chain supermarket.If anything the supermarket would employ more staff,being of more benefit to the local community.A chain supermarket usually puts the independant out of business due to offering better prices to the customer.The only benefit I can think that an independant would offer is possibly better customer service and some different products that the main chain supermarket chains dont.
If anything the proposed Sainsburys (as David said) would bring more people from outlying areas into the town.

#34 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:46 PM

I would not like to lose Iceland, but Sainsbury's would be good. More competition for Tesco and I think the independant shops shoudl be OK, Beaconsfield seems to be fine and they have two large super markets in the town centre.
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on Twitter

Amersham News Views & Information is also on Facebook

Don't forget to read the Forum Rules!

#35 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,146 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:06 PM

Sainsbury already own the land and have some sort of deal with CDC (see Eaton's link to the BFP); it seems to be almost a done deal. At a purely selfish level I'm more concerned about whether and where Chilton Watson (optician) will relocate.

#36 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:37 PM

At a purely selfish level I'm more concerned about whether and where Chilton Watson (optician) will relocate.

Back over to the other side of the road where they came from?
David P

#37 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:39 AM

Back over to the other side of the road where they came from?

Actually, pedant mode on, they originally were in Hill Avenue down by what is now Tesco, then moved to Sycamore Road, then accross the road to where they are now. Anyway, there are quite a few empty units they could take if the rent / rates were right and they are used to moving.

I think Cargo would be more of a miss, hopefully they can find another site. The old Martins / Post Office site might be suitable, again if the price ir right for them.
Matthew P Jones

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

Amersham News, Views & Information Facebook Page

#38 gizmo

gizmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Currently finding a family house in Amersham.

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:09 PM

I hope Cargo stays in Amersham. I used to have a Saturday job when it was Carpenters in house (does anyone remember the yellow aprons) ;)

#39 SallyH

SallyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 02:56 PM

I would not like to lose Iceland, but Sainsbury's would be good. More competition for Tesco and I think the independant shops shoudl be OK, Beaconsfield seems to be fine and they have two large super markets in the town centre.

Beaconsfield does not have any food shops apart from the two supermarkets & M&S. I agree it does has a very upmarket bakers/confectioners - Jungs - which has a large cafe attached. But it does not have a butcher or greengrocer and has not for years since Waitrose opened. Amersham is very blessed and I would be very fed up to see our small shops go.

#40 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:16 PM

Chesham manages to support two small supermarkets a butcher and two bakers (one independent one chain) and an excellent veg stall twice a week in the market.

Come to that I have been visiting friends in Walthamstow, where Sainsburys, Asda and BHS coexist with a thriving street market and many independent shops.

Its the totally free standing supermarkets like Tesco in Old Amersham or Sainsburys on the outskirts of Hemel that are the killers.
PeterC aka Chilternbirder

#41 ITSMEAGAIN

ITSMEAGAIN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:01 PM

Supermarkets survive because we're all b....y lazy not because they sell better food than the independents, or that they're necessarily cheaper. Being served seafood in a supermarket by someone who looks totally uninterested in fish and probably doesn't even like it, and also probably hasn't been anywhere near a fishing boat doesn't bode well with me. There's little point in people like Rick Stein going on about the excellent qualities of fish and the variety available when all you can get is dried up 5 day old fish served by someone who doesn't even like it or know what to do with it! Bring back the fishmonger - someone who knows all about fish (and the same goes for meats and cheeses as well).

#42 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:21 PM

Supermarkets survive because we're all b....y lazy not because they sell better food than the independents, or that they're necessarily cheaper. Being served seafood in a supermarket by someone who looks totally uninterested in fish and probably doesn't even like it, and also probably hasn't been anywhere near a fishing boat doesn't bode well with me. There's little point in people like Rick Stein going on about the excellent qualities of fish and the variety available when all you can get is dried up 5 day old fish served by someone who doesn't even like it or know what to do with it! Bring back the fishmonger - someone who knows all about fish (and the same goes for meats and cheeses as well).

Supermarkets survive because 95% of the population likes them. It's called democracy.

Tesco fish may not be the very best but I have to say that the staff on their fish counter certainly do seem to know about fish and fishing. There is still a butcher in town - Hopper & Babb - and they sell quite good cheeses, as does Neils. The fishmonger is there every Tuesday morning on the market. If you don't know about them, who is being lazy?
David P

#43 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,146 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:26 PM

Tesco fish may not be the very best but I have to say that the staff on their fish counter certainly do seem to know about fish and fishing. There is still a butcher in town - Hopper & Babb - and they sell quite good cheeses, as does Neils. The fishmonger is there every Tuesday morning on the market. If you don't know about them, who is being lazy?

Whilst I agree that one can get reasonable fish at some supermarkets, it's not necessarily laziness that makes one forget about the market. Some of us still have to work for our living, and drive there without even going past it. ;)

#44 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:42 PM

You can get a range of fish from Tesco and Waitrose, but I'd like a fishmonger around here, just for the vast slection of fish on offer that they usually have.

#45 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,146 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:03 PM

Apparently, the Sainsbury's development is far from imminent, or even certain: they don't actually have leases on all the shop units they would want (and one has just signed a new 10 year lease, so would presumably be more expensive to buy out now than a month ago).

Given that in the meantime Waitrose has (almost) arrived, I wonder if they'll continue to pursue it.

#46 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

http://www.buckingha...14018-30531476/
Mel and Co

#47 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,146 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:25 PM

Thanks for the update, though I see it's still only "could". I wonder if it will ever happen. And although in this case (i.e. unlike Waitrose), this will be replacing one supermarket with another, I'm still surprised that our small town can apparently support so many of them. Perhaps people shop in all of them in one trip, according to which is cheaper or better for particular items?

#48 spangle

spangle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

I wish it wouldn't happen. I know Iceland can be seen as "Chav" or low market but it is actually a decent alternative to other shops or supermarkets, and I prefer some of their products to those in M&S or Waitrose because I feel like I am actually getting something for my money and they taste better! We have shopped in all of the above mentioned shops on occasion when we can't find something in one or the other, but to be honest I have ended up going between the shops to find the best deals, and even then it has seemed expensive when we have bought it in M&S or Waitrose. I also think that the Tesco Express is expensive; you are essentially paying for the convenience rather than the product. It seems unfair on those that don't or cant drive to the nearest big supermarket with the lower prices.

#49 ThreeDaysGrace

ThreeDaysGrace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

One of the cashiers in Iceland told me the same story has been going round ever since she started working there years ago. She said that Sainsburys just keep putting planning permission in, but as far as she was concerned Iceland was going nowhere.

#50 bex_rox

bex_rox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:law, politics and our community!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

At least it isn't another charity shop ...... :wacko:

#51 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:38 PM

still no real news but this is in today's BFP online edition.
http://www.bucksfree...til_the_autumn/
Mel and Co

#52 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:46 PM

So, some sort of decision in the autumn or at least progress by then. It seems Sainsburys already owns the land. What I am not sure of is how much of the land? is it just the Iceland site, or the other shops next too it (optician and Cargo). I though ages ago that if Sainsburys opened a new store it would be bigger than the current Iceland and would thus need the shop space next to Iceland as well. It would be a shame to lose Cargo. I notice the charity shop that did a lot of furniture has closed at the end of Sycamore Road (next to Barclays), that would be a nice site for Cargo!
Matthew P Jones

Follow Amershan News & Views on Twitter

Amersham News Views & Information is also on Facebook

Don't forget to read the Forum Rules!

#53 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

I remember reading quite a while ago that they already own the opticians and I think they own Cargo as well. As far as I remember some of the delays with plans etc is that they wanted to take over the large council car park (Rickmansworth Road?) behind Iceland as their own.
Mel and Co

#54 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:24 PM

As far as I remember some of the delays with plans etc is that they wanted to take over the large council car park (Rickmansworth Road?) behind Iceland as their own.

That would sound likely,there's very little space for any customers otherwise.