Iceland To Become Sainsburys

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:14 PM

According to the BFP, Sainsbury is likely to apply to build a new store on the Iceland site.

See BFP story. It's interesting to see the non-Amersham people posting such strong feelings in the comments section at the end.

#2 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:49 PM

It's interesting to see the non-Amersham people posting such strong feelings in the comments section at the end.

The Judge seems like a nice chap. :)

#3 struthie

struthie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:55 AM

The Judge seems like a nice chap. :)

Yes most pleasant,typing in capitals really annoys me! But well said Mel!

#4 Speedy

Speedy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:30 PM

I bet he's only peed off about the parking cause he has to walk one mile and dirty his posh shoes :lol:

#5 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:38 PM

Even though we have one in Chesham I think it would be handy and offer more than Iceland.Only thing is that the existing Iceland site isnt very big,so this will be a small store.

#6 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:40 PM

well said Mel!

Thank you. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately the size of the comments box is annoyingly narrow, which means it's not very easy to proof read what you've written so my latest comment is lacking in comma's in the last paragraph and therefore doesn't read as well as it should do.
Mel and Co

#7 KevinR

KevinR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:06 PM

Yes most pleasant,typing in capitals really annoys me! But well said Mel!

Yes, well said Mel. You come across as the voice of reason - something rather lacking in some of the earlier POSTINGS ;)

#8 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:13 PM

What is not clear is what would happen to shops close by. Mention is made of an underground car park. I would think if that was created, it would be welcomed as more parking for Amersham, but it would impact on Cargo next door. They have a delivery yard and rear entrance accessed via the back of Iceland. Perhaps the development includes the complete block (built in the mid 1960s) and Iceland / Cargo may move to other vacant units in the town. I think a Sainsbury would be a benefit to Amersham, if it happens I hope it inter acts better with the shops than Sainsbury and Waitros do in Chesham, both of which have entrnaces away from the main shops despite being next to them.

Oh, and I wounder if the Judge is getting confused with the Old Town and Amersham O T H
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

Amersham News, Views & Information Facebook Page

#9 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:52 PM

Oh, and I wounder if the Judge is getting confused with the Old Town and Amersham O T H

I think it's rather clear that the Judge is confused about most things. ;)
Mel and Co

#10 Zoom

Zoom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:47 PM

Perhaps the development includes the complete block (built in the mid 1960s)

I wondered about that... The Iceland site isn't big and it is difficult to see where they could locate an underground car park ramp and how an underground car park would be worth it (maybe just a staff car park ?).

But if it was the whole block that would make a more viable size site for them and a more viable size underground car park.

#11 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:24 PM

I seem to remember reading that Iceland were buying up some of the old Woolworth stores. Strange if they decide to re-open on the other side of the road.
David P

#12 Desert Rose

Desert Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:53 PM

I think THE JUDGE has one significant point (amongst many confused and misguided ones) in that parking in Amersham on the Hill is limited. I am often astounded that the car park near Iceland is frequently full by 10 o'clock in the morning, despite season tickets not being valid in there.
David - what goes around comes around eh? Maybe soon we'll be hearing that a newly re-launched Woolies will be opening up in some Sainsbury stores to complete the cycle?

#13 Zoom

Zoom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:48 PM

car park near Iceland is frequently full by 10 o'clock in the morning

I have NEVER seen the car park at the back of Iceland full. It is always full near the walkway through to Sycamore Road but I've never seen it full over at the far side by the recycling.

#14 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:17 PM

The only time that I've ever seen that car park full is the last few days before Christmas. Occasionally on a Saturday it's almost full but you can always find parking at the back near the recycling bins. I've been lucky lately and have always found free parking spaces but if I can't then I go in the library car park and get the 30mins free, as it would be an extremely rare occurence when I need to be in Amersham for longer than 30 minutes.

Regarding the Judge he said that he has to park and walk a mile, where does he park in Old Amersham? While I'm lowering myself to mention him, he's apparently offered my name forward to direct car parking in Amersham. Goodo!!
Mel and Co

#15 Desert Rose

Desert Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:03 PM

I have NEVER seen the car park at the back of Iceland full. It is always full near the walkway through to Sycamore Road but I've never seen it full over at the far side by the recycling.

Zoom - clearly I need to choose the same shopping times as you then!
I have to admit the last few times I've visited Amersham for the shops were immediately before and immediately after Christmas. The first time I was very lucky to seemingly get the last free space in the car park, and the second time I crawled around a bit before giving up and driving to the car park near the library (which admittedly, is hardly a hardship to walk from).

#16 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:01 PM

Finally, two days after the BFP first 'broke' this story the Examiner has caught up with the local news and has it on their website.
Mel and Co

#17 Zoom

Zoom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:50 PM

Zoom - clearly I need to choose the same shopping times as you then!

:)

I went to Sycamore Road this afternoon... went to the car park around 3pm and the car park wasn't even half full. There were even spaces in the section nearest the lane through to Sycamore Road.

#18 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 01 February 2009 - 02:22 PM

It's sounding more likely. Sainsbury already own the site and now the mayor is backing the scheme. See BFP story. (I guess it might be on the Examiner website by Tuesday evening!)

#19 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:15 PM

Small piece of unsubstantiated gossip that I heard this morning is that the Opticians next door to Iceland is going as well. Sainsbury's will be knocking Iceland and the opticians into 1 larger store. Bit of a shame as I use that opticians and they are very nice and friendly, I just hope that they will open somewhere else in the vicinity.
Mel and Co

#20 Kiff

Kiff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:12 PM

Has anyone any idea at what stage it would become obvious that Cargo was staying or going ?

#21 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:44 PM

I heard this morning is that the Opticians next door to Iceland is going as well.

Has anyone any idea at what stage it would become obvious that Cargo was staying or going ?

Without going and looking, I can't be sure, but I think the optician's is actually part of the same building as Iceland, whereas Cargo isn't. If so, I would assume the former will almost certainly be swallowed up; as for the latter...?

#22 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:44 PM

At tonight's AGM of the Resident's Association, a letter from Sainsbury's was read out. They have bought the freehold of the stores currently occupied by Iceland, ChiltonWatson and Cargo. They will be doing a detailed consultation with ~9000 (households and businesses) next month and will then look at more detailed plans, in consultation with CDC, and including additional parking.

#23 Paul Capewell

Paul Capewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:52 PM

Ooh err.

#24 Speedy

Speedy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:06 PM

Iceland have stopped selling my fave pies so i hope sainsburys get the go ahead :P

#25 mvjt

mvjt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:02 PM

At tonight's AGM of the Resident's Association, a letter from Sainsbury's was read out. They have bought the freehold of the stores currently occupied by Iceland, ChiltonWatson and Cargo. They will be doing a detailed consultation with ~9000 (households and businesses) next month and will then look at more detailed plans, in consultation with CDC, and including additional parking.

Not Cargo? I like Cargo and will miss it. The others I can do without.

#26 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:13 PM

Not Cargo? I like Cargo and will miss it. The others I can do without.

I like Cargo and I hope it opens in Woolies!
Mel and Co

#27 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:18 PM

Cargo is one of the places I think I like, and often go into when I'm in the town, but actually don't often buy anything there!

However, I do get my eyes tested at ChiltonWatson...

#28 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:43 PM

Cargo is one of the places I think I like, and often go into when I'm in the town, but actually don't often buy anything there!

We find exactly the same thing weve been in there numerous times,its a nice shop but never find anything we like enough.

#29 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:34 PM

According to the BFP Sainsburys are still hoping to open in Amersham. See story below:

http://www.bucksfree...n/#commentsList
Mel and Co

#30 ITSMEAGAIN

ITSMEAGAIN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:02 PM

Does anyone know if the proposal to build a huge Sainsbury's on the Iceland site in Sycamore Road Amersham is going ahead? I was told it was and that it will be huge, virtually taking over the car park at the rear and some of the houses in Rickmansworth Road. It will mean losing even more independent shops and surely Amersham doesn't warrant another giant, so hopefully it won't happen!!