17 replies to this topic

#1 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:35 PM

In the BFP today they are reporting the new speed limits which will be changed from the end of March. Of particular interest to myself is the revised speed limit on Latimer Road.

See link: http://www.bucksfree..._and_Chalfonts/
Mel and Co

#2 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:49 PM

In the BFP today they are reporting the new speed limits which will be changed from the end of March. Of particular interest to myself is the revised speed limit on Latimer Road.

Thanks Eaton.How does it effect you? + or -

#3 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:32 PM

Thanks Eaton.How does it effect you? + or -

Definitely a positive. Can't tell you how many times we've had to pull people out of cars that have crashed into the river, ditch, other cars and even a row of leylandii (knocking about 8 of them over) all because (some) people insist on driving at 60mph whatever the road conditions. However, it could be worse the people in the barns opposite Blackwell Hall Lane have occasionally had cars and lorries crashing into their properties!!!

Plus I've had numerous close calls with large lorries (which aren't supposed to use the road through Chenies), taking up 75% of both lanes. On those occasions, the only thing to do is hit the button to pull your wing mirrors in, get as far into the bank as you can while slowing down as much as you possibly can, then you hold your breath and at times close your eyes. That technique has never failed me yet!! :blink:
Mel and Co

#4 roob_the_doob

roob_the_doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:27 AM

Quite a lot of these are surprisingly sensible - there are a number of roads where the proposed speed limit is a de facto limit anyway, only lunatics drive faster (40mph in Nightingale Lanes, 30mph through Latimer village for instance). But some seem bizarre. Why extend the 30mph limit on Gravel Hill, when this speed limit is hard enough to maintain as it is?

The one that really stands out for me as being idiotic is the reduction in speed limits going east from Little Chalfont. That's now going to be an immediate drop from 60 to 30, whereas the current 40mph limit allows for a much more gradual reduction in speed. That stretch of road has no business being 30 - all houses are a long long way from the road and there are no pedestrians (and in any case there is the zebra crossing further down). The accident record quoted for this stretch is misleading (deliberately?) - it has clearly been conflated with the figures for the section that is already at 30mph.

#5 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:42 PM

Its not entirely clear the way it has been presented.The map shows a section of Nashleigh Hill which is propsed to change from NSL, which is currently 40mph and the propsed speed is 40mph.I think they mean further along going to Ashley Green.Reducing the speed along this stretch of road in my opnion wont really help.If I stick at the speed limit there will be a tail back of traffic behind me and then those dangerously overtaking.There are some blind bends along that road and Ive almost been in a few pile ups along that road due to idiots over taking on these blind corners.If there is more chance of overtaking then theres an increase chance of more head ons.

#6 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:37 PM

I came across the original consultation about a week after the closing date and wrote a carefully considered response before realising it was too late.

I agree with Roob about the limit in Little Chalfont, I think the drop from 60 to 40 should be east of the Stoney Lane junction rather than to the west but cutting it to 30 not only seems pointless but potentially dangerous with a 30mph cut in limit. I can see cars pulling out of Stoney Lane, accelerating to 30 and getting rear ended by somebody who didn't brake until the limit dropped. As it stands the extra 10mph gives the car behind enbough of an edge to slow down.

I have seen some bad accidents on Latimer Road as well but in my experience the road is perfectly safe at 50.

We must also remember that the ones who drive like lunatics are not going to stop just because somebody puts a different number on the end of a stick.
PeterC aka Chilternbirder

#7 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:59 PM

Anyone noticed any speed limit changes?Was meant to be end of May.

#8 Zoom

Zoom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:09 PM

Surely that was just the end of the consultation ?

#9 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:59 AM

Surely that was just the end of the consultation ?

The consultation ended months ago! They've already started marking out the roads with spray paint because our councils do love spray painting the roads...

There is a date in May in place for the new speed limits to be in effect, at the moment I can't remember it but I'll have a look through my emails and post back later.
Mel and Co

#10 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:00 AM

The changes will be made from the 17th May.
Mel and Co

#11 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:39 AM

Thanks for that Eaton.

#12 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:49 PM

As from next month there will be a new 30mph speed limit in place on Latimer Road from Chesham all the way through to Bois Mill, where it will become a 40mph through to Chenies.
Mel and Co

#13 gazza13

gazza13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

As from next month there will be a new 30mph speed limit in place on Latimer Road from Chesham all the way through to Bois Mill, where it will become a 40mph through to Chenies.

They'll want a man with a red flag walking in front next.

#14 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:23 PM

Here are some details about the change: http://www.buckingha...14018-30582466/

#15 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:04 PM

Reading the report it implies a 30 limit on the entire length of Latimer Road from Chesham to Chenies. The original 2010 proposal was for 40, and the extension of the 30 limit proposed at that time was implemented.

The quote from Shane Wilmoth is interesting, he must drive with his eyes shut, I have seen some quite serious accidents at the Stony Lane crossroads but I don't think simply sticking the number 40 (or 30) on a few sticks along the road will cure that.

#16 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

Reading the report it implies a 30 limit on the entire length of Latimer Road from Chesham to Chenies. The original 2010 proposal was for 40, and the extension of the 30 limit proposed at that time was implemented.

The quote from Shane Wilmoth is interesting, he must drive with his eyes shut, I have seen some quite serious accidents at the Stony Lane crossroads but I don't think simply sticking the number 40 (or 30) on a few sticks along the road will cure that.

Typical shoddy reporting from the Bucks Exaggerator. The 30mph will be extended from Chesham to somewhere around Bois Mill where it will become a 40mph through to Chenies where it will integrate into the present 30mph. I've got a link which I'll post in a moment to the BucksGov info.

http://www.buckscc.g...ls.aspx?ID=2619
Mel and Co

#17 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for the link, I stupidy assumed that the announcement would be in the "roads" section as it was about roads.

From the "supporting information" document.

The police have commented that enforcement of any limit on this length could be problematic

#18 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:14 PM

The signs for the new limits went up sometime in the past week. Some of the repeaters are partially hidden by undergrowth already