#1 Jeannie686

Jeannie686

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:00 AM

Hello All!

What is the easiest route from Chesham (or Amersham/Chalfont) to Oxford?

I may be starting a new job there - if I get it! - but have no idea what is the best way to travel there?

I don't drive by the way

#2 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:42 PM

I was looking at a job in Oxford before when I was out of work.I think I worked out the best way to go from Chesham would be via the A41, head towards Aylesbury.You can find this route on Google Maps or probably AA/RAC route planners to.You can also go via the M40,but youd first have to travel on through Amersham in the morning and with all the schools in the morning its busy.The A41 in that direction in the morning is relatively quiet, until you reach aylesbury and it slows a bit and then slows again in Oxford.If you do get a new job there,maybe try out a trial run,something I usually do as would hate to be late first day.

#3 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:22 PM

I was looking at a job in Oxford before when I was out of work.I think I worked out the best way to go from Chesham would be via the A41, head towards Aylesbury.You can find this route on Google Maps or probably AA/RAC route planners to.You can also go via the M40,but youd first have to travel on through Amersham in the morning and with all the schools in the morning its busy.The A41 in that direction in the morning is relatively quiet, until you reach aylesbury and it slows a bit and then slows again in Oxford.If you do get a new job there,maybe try out a trial run,something I usually do as would hate to be late first day.

She doesn't drive, so needs public transport ideas!
Mel and Co

#4 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:16 PM

A quick look on Transport Direct indicates that its' going to take at least 2 hours each way by any of several different routes.
Good luck with the job. Hope you've got a supply of good books.
David P

#5 Jeannie686

Jeannie686

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:41 PM

Wow, 2 hours? Really? Actually, considering it takes me about that much to get to Chesham from Euston Square every week day I shouldn't think that would be that much of a problem! Posted Image

And seeing as I'm an academic librarian, a supply of good books is luckily very accessible!Posted Image

#6 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:27 PM

She doesn't drive, so needs public transport ideas!

Thats what I get for rushing to post in my lunch hour.I can imgine that it would take that long by public transport, not great.

#7 Bengley

Bengley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:52 PM

Chesham > Baker Street by Metropolitan Line OR Marylebone with Chiltern Railways

Then

Bakerloo Line to Paddington

Then

First Great Western to Oxford from Paddington.

That won't be a cheap journey either.

#8 roob_the_doob

roob_the_doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:28 AM

1. Bus to Wycombe, then coach to Oxford.

2. Trains to Aylesbury, short walk to bus station, slow bus to Oxford.

3. Trains to Hillingdon via Harrow, short walk to coach stop, then the "Oxford Tube". Not recommended if it's raining, but otherwise this is my preferred route nowadays.

Quicker and cheaper to learn to drive/get a car, I'm afraid.

#9 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:47 AM

3. Trains to Hillingdon via Harrow, short walk to coach stop, then the "Oxford Tube". Not recommended if it's raining, but otherwise this is my preferred route nowadays.

Wait a couple of years and Chiltern Railways will start a service to Oxford via Wycombe, they have to build some new track first though.

The provission of public transport across country is very bad. Getting to Oxford is hard, as is Milton Keynes. Really annoying there is no decent service connecting Milton Keynes / Aylesbyry / Wycombe / Oxford
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

Amersham News, Views & Information Facebook Page

#10 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:50 PM

It might even be possible to go via the proposed Handy X coach/park and ride coach/bus station, if it ever goes ahead.

#11 echinosum

echinosum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:01 PM

Last time I used bus 353 to Slough and train from there to Oxford. This is the quickest public transport journey to/from Oxford by public transport from the Chesham/Amersham area I have achieved. Only problem is the 353 doesn't run after the pm rush hour, so you need to leave Oxford in good time.