13 replies to this topic

#1 monica weller

monica weller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:19 AM

Does anyone remeber an antique shop run by Margo Morris near amersham railway station in the 1960s?

Also can anyone rmember a greengrocer and a hardware shop in amersham on the Hill at the same time?

#2 Kawasaki

Kawasaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Family and local history

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:17 PM

Does anyone remeber an antique shop run by Margo Morris near amersham railway station in the 1960s?

Also can anyone rmember a greengrocer and a hardware shop in amersham on the Hill at the same time?

Yes. I'm afraid we Dr Challoners' pupils used to tease her unmercifully on our way home from school. She complained to the headmaster, but the teasing didn't stop. So much for the myth of well-behaved teenagers of 40 years ago. Today's youngsters are no worse than we were.

#3 monica weller

monica weller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:25 PM

Yes. I'm afraid we Dr Challoners' pupils used to tease her unmercifully on our way home from school. She complained to the headmaster, but the teasing didn't stop. So much for the myth of well-behaved teenagers of 40 years ago. Today's youngsters are no worse than we were.

Thanks for the reply. What was the teasing about? I'd be interested to know. What sort of age would she have been in the 1960s? And can you give a description of her please? Do you know what happened to her?

#4 Kawasaki

Kawasaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for the reply. What was the teasing about? I'd be interested to know. What sort of age would she have been in the 1960s? And can you give a description of her please? Do you know what happened to her?

I'm afraid to admit that the teasing was on account of her appearance. She was rather an exotic creature - long, black (possibly dyed?) hair, very heavily made up, and she wore strange clothes for the late 1950s (and it was the 50s that the teasing took place, not the 60s); she was a bit of a hippie before hippies were invented. She seemed old to us, but was probably in her 40s. I've no idea what happened to her (I left Amersham in 1961), but her shop was demolished decades ago.

Incidentally, my mother (aged 96 and still living in Amersham) knew a lot of Wellers. She was born in Coleshill and I think the Wellers she knew lived there.

Richard Ayres (my mother's maiden name was Hatch)

#5 monica weller

monica weller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:01 AM

I'm afraid to admit that the teasing was on account of her appearance. She was rather an exotic creature - long, black (possibly dyed?) hair, very heavily made up, and she wore strange clothes for the late 1950s (and it was the 50s that the teasing took place, not the 60s); she was a bit of a hippie before hippies were invented. She seemed old to us, but was probably in her 40s. I've no idea what happened to her (I left Amersham in 1961), but her shop was demolished decades ago.

Incidentally, my mother (aged 96 and still living in Amersham) knew a lot of Wellers. She was born in Coleshill and I think the Wellers she knew lived there.

Richard Ayres (my mother's maiden name was Hatch)

This is very interesting - thanks. Did you know a house called Copperkins in Copperkins Lane?
Thanks for the info about Wellers - I don't think our Wellers are connected to Bucks.
Monica Weller

#6 barbara

barbara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:08 PM

The hardwear shop to which you refer is probably "Brownings"

#7 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:14 PM

The hardwear shop to which you refer is probably "Brownings"

Brownings was where M&S is now, they used to have a slide on display that we used to play on whilst waiting to get served. I think there was a Greengrocers opposite the Public Toilets where M&S' car park is now and it was owned by the East's of East the builders merchants.

#8 monica weller

monica weller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:37 PM

Brownings was where M&S is now, they used to have a slide on display that we used to play on whilst waiting to get served. I think there was a Greengrocers opposite the Public Toilets where M&S' car park is now and it was owned by the East's of East the builders merchants.

Thank you Barbara.

It's a long shot but can you remember if the owner of the hardware shop could have been described as a good-looking man?And any idea of his name?

Monica

#9 Kawasaki

Kawasaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:14 PM

This is very interesting - thanks. Did you know a house called Copperkins in Copperkins Lane?
Thanks for the info about Wellers - I don't think our Wellers are connected to Bucks.
Monica Weller

The houses in Copperkins Lane are huge, set back from the road, and no one of my station in life would have dared to get close enough to them to find out the names!
Richard

#10 monica weller

monica weller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:39 AM

The houses in Copperkins Lane are huge, set back from the road, and no one of my station in life would have dared to get close enough to them to find out the names!
Richard

Thanks Richard
Class distinction rife then?
Monica

#11 nicknick

nicknick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:40 PM

Thank you Barbara.

It's a long shot but can you remember if the owner of the hardware shop could have been described as a good-looking man?And any idea of his name?

Monica

I can remember going into Brownings as a child, but that would have been in the mid 70's onwards, my Mum certainly liked going in there I seem to remember but not sure if that was because the helpful men in brown coats were good looking! You could buy a single screw or bolt and all manner of useful things. But I do have a memory of the men working there, in brown overalls, perhaps because they looked the same as the 'workmen' that used to shift scenery on the Morcambe and Wise show!

#12 Mixter

Mixter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

I don't know if you're still interested but I worked in Brownings on Saturdays & school & university holidays from 1976 until it closed ...so I was one of the handsome (of course) young men in the overalls! The owner was Mr Halley (first name Alex?) & he had at least two of his sons working part time at the same time I was there. It was a fantastic shop & I don't know anybody who wasn't sad when the doors were closed for the last time.

#13 spangle

spangle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

I realise this is probably unrelated, but there is a Weller Road and a Weller Close in Amersham, both supposedly named after the Weller Brewery that was there at some point?

#14 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

I realise this is probably unrelated, but there is a Weller Road and a Weller Close in Amersham, both supposedly named after the Weller Brewery that was there at some point?

According to Matthew's info, see link below, the Weller Brewery was in Old Amersham but as it was the largest employer in Amersham it's no surprise that they named two roads after it.
http://www.amersham....our/stmarys.htm
Mel and Co