#1 Crown Taxis

Crown Taxis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:00 PM

Hello!

I would like to now what peoples views are regarding the taxi ranks outside Amersham Station. Do people think it's fair for only the biggest companies in Amersham to park up and pick up passengers from there? We don't think it's fair and I'm sure a lot of other taxi companies who are not allowed to park up and pick up from there agree with us.

What are the peoples views on this and if someone knows how we can open the rank to any taxi driver, please do get in touch.

Thank you
Crown Taxis
01494 580 580

bookings@crown-taxis.com
www.Crown-Taxis.com

Call, email, Skype or register on our website to make real time bookings and collect loyalty points on all your journeys

http://www.Crown-Taxis.com/Register/

#2 struthie

struthie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:11 AM

But I thought they had to pay to park there.

#3 ANDY 1

ANDY 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:40 AM

as i understand this issue i believe they pay either cdc or bcc to park here .
iam not aware that this was put out to tender or up for auction ?.
my view is that it makes it a monopoly
iam all for fair trade and competition good luck with your campaign

#4 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:01 AM

The front of the station is a mess. Never mind taxis parking in front, if I wanted one, I would not know which one to go to first and they are a nuisance pulling out fast and backing in causing hold ups and concerns for those trying to cross the road.

So get rid of the taxi parking there so it is even for all taxi firms and make some sort of taxi lane for every taxi to queue in, then the first taxi in the queue gets the first passenger. This lane could be closest to the station, leaving a far lane for other cars to drop off passengers and stop them blocking the front of the station.
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

Amersham News, Views & Information Facebook Page

#5 PaulAmersham

PaulAmersham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:34 PM

Agree entirely with Matthew.

And they are all pretty much a nuisance. As a case in point a taxi driver refused to give me change from a ten pound note yesterday for a four pound fare! He claimed he had nothing on him and that i had to give him the ten pound note!!!!! Thankfully I managed to get some pound coins together and a few 10ps from my work bag somehow but it took some rummaging! Ive yet to have a good taxi driver form outside the station....

The front of the station is a mess. Never mind taxis parking in front, if I wanted one, I would not know which one to go to first and they are a nuisance pulling out fast and backing in causing hold ups and concerns for those trying to cross the road.

So get rid of the taxi parking there so it is even for all taxi firms and make some sort of taxi lane for every taxi to queue in, then the first taxi in the queue gets the first passenger. This lane could be closest to the station, leaving a far lane for other cars to drop off passengers and stop them blocking the front of the station.

#6 gizmo

gizmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Currently finding a family house in Amersham.

Posted 23 June 2010 - 02:48 PM

The taxis are fine. They have been there for years. They have a living to make like everyone.....

It keeps you fit to dodge the taxis :).

I remember some years ago parked in the taxi parking area (when I was a student driving a heap), and a taxi asked me if I was a taxi
.... So I made my own impromptu taxi sign :) I'm not sure they saw the funny side of things........

I'll get my coat.

#7 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:12 PM

The taxis are fine. They have been there for years. They have a living to make like everyone.....

No problem with the taxis being there and they provide a service which is needed, but according to the original poster, the system does not seem fair and in my view coudl be improved for everyone
Matthew P Jones

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

#8 Rayhoop

Rayhoop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:cars + track days, scuba, nature,

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:29 PM

I agree with Matthew.
Im not regularly around the station at peak times, but when I have been there it is a bit of a 'mare getting through it all.
A taxi rank operating a 'cab at the front takes the next fare regardless of how close/far they are going', and setting the space aside for that would be handy. Thats how it works at Heathrow. Although that is with black cabs, not mini cabs.

#9 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:51 PM

according to the original poster, the system does not seem fair

Licensed taxis ("Hackney carriages") are entitled to use ranks, whereas minicabs (private hire) are not. I believe that is a matter of national regulations and not something CDC or BCC have any control over.

As to whether or not the situation at Amersham station is fair or not, surely we need to know whether a fee is required to use the rank, and if so, whether any taxi is entitled to pay to do so or if it is restricted to certain companies.

#10 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:02 PM

Licensed taxis ("Hackney carriages") are entitled to use ranks, whereas minicabs (private hire) are not. I believe that is a matter of national regulations and not something CDC or BCC have any control over.

Agreed, but I wounder if the situation gets blurred in places. On the Broadway in Chesham, taxis queue up on the rank (basically the side of the road), the taxi at the front gets the first passenger. So, somethign similar perhaps could be doine at Amersham station. People still have to go to the rank, they are not hailing a cab as it passes.
Matthew P Jones

#11 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:30 PM

Many times that Ive used the station in rush hour, the entrance/tax bays are mayhem.To be honest I think they would be better to just do away with parking in the bay and entrance,with the high flows of people entering/exiting the station at peak times.You have people trying to pick up others within the entrance,the taxis trying to park/exit and station customers exiting/entering the station in many different directions.It really doesnt work well that well.I think weve discussed on here before the problems at rush hour with traffic around the station entrance.

#12 Crown Taxis

Crown Taxis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:09 AM

But I thought they had to pay to park there.

They do have to pay to park there but we don't mind paying either if we're given the opportunity.

As far as we know, the ranks at Amersham station are regulated by London Transport. They do not offer them to any other company apart from the ones who already have them. We tried contacting them once, sent a few letters but no reply. We'll be trying again, and we'll keep on trying until we get a response.

.... So get rid of the taxi parking there so it is even for all taxi firms and make some sort of taxi lane for every taxi to queue in, then the first taxi in the queue gets the first passenger. This lane could be closest to the station, leaving a far lane for other cars to drop off passengers and stop them blocking the front of the station.

Makes sense to us but probably not to the regulators.
Crown Taxis
01494 580 580

bookings@crown-taxis.com
www.Crown-Taxis.com

Call, email, Skype or register on our website to make real time bookings and collect loyalty points on all your journeys

#13 Crown Taxis

Crown Taxis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:21 AM

Agree entirely with Matthew.

And they are all pretty much a nuisance. As a case in point a taxi driver refused to give me change from a ten pound note yesterday for a four pound fare! He claimed he had nothing on him and that i had to give him the ten pound note!!!!! Thankfully I managed to get some pound coins together and a few 10ps from my work bag somehow but it took some rummaging! Ive yet to have a good taxi driver form outside the station....

You should have told the driver that it's their responsibility to have correct change. You're not obliged to pay more than the fare, if he doesn't have change don't pay him at all. For all you know he might be lying to make a few extra pounds out of you.

As to whether or not the situation at Amersham station is fair or not, surely we need to know whether a fee is required to use the rank, and if so, whether any taxi is entitled to pay to do so or if it is restricted to certain companies.

The use of the four taxi ranks outside Amersham Station are restricted to the four biggest companies. As I've stated before, no other company is given the opportunity to pay for the use of those ranks. I do not know the reason for this.
Crown Taxis
01494 580 580

bookings@crown-taxis.com
www.Crown-Taxis.com

#14 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:42 AM

That does seem a little unfair.The first place people look for a taxi when coming out of a train would likely be the reserved bays,so a taxi driver unable to park in those bays would probably have to wait for the taxis situated in these bays to recieve custom first.In Chesham as I belive the tax first in the rank gets the custom.Not sure how it work for those parked at the station.

#15 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:42 PM

That does seem a little unfair.The first place people look for a taxi when coming out of a train would likely be the reserved bays,so a taxi driver unable to park in those bays would probably have to wait for the taxis situated in these bays to recieve custom first.In Chesham as I belive the tax first in the rank gets the custom.Not sure how it work for those parked at the station.

I would imagine Gilberts pay to park at the station in Chesham, as they are the only company that I have seen using the spaces there.