#1 Kawasaki

Kawasaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Family and local history

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:40 AM

I was born in Amersham and have traced both my maternal and paternal ancestors in the area back to to the mid 18th century. I know the area well, and most of the places where my ancestors lived. There is one place, however, which remains a mystery to me. In the 1881 census one of my ancestors is living in a place called 'The Kilne', Amersham. I don't know where this is/was and never heard my parents or grandparents mention such a place. One clue is in the census enumerator's book - the next entry to 'The Kilne' is 'Brickwick', the house that stands by itself to the north of Coleshill village overlooking Amersham. Also, my ancestor was the mother-in-law of the householder of 'The Kilne' - and he is described as a farmer of 162 acres.
Does anyone know of the existence, or former existence, of a farm in that approximate location which might have been'The Kilne'?

#2 Denise

Denise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Walking, Travel, Home renovation, Piano, Arts and Crafts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:54 PM

:) I'm pretty certain I have the location for you. There is a website for Coleshill Coleshill Website and under the local history section there is a link to the 1900 OS map for the area which shows a Kiln Farm, next to Brickwick, on the opposite side of the road to where the Watertower now stands. Coleshill 1900 OS Map

From checking my 1981 OS map of the area, the farm no longer exists, and there is a section relating to Kiln Farm under "An Evening With... Charles Pusey, Louie Edwards, Ruby May and Syd Ware". All quite fascinating, and the sort of knowledge that gets lost over the course of time, unless recorded like this.

It may be worth contacting the site to see if they can put you in touch with a local historian, but in the meantime I hope this goes some way to answering your query.

#3 Kawasaki

Kawasaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:04 PM

:) I'm pretty certain I have the location for you. There is a website for Coleshill Coleshill Website and under the local history section there is a link to the 1900 OS map for the area which shows a Kiln Farm, next to Brickwick, on the opposite side of the road to where the Watertower now stands. Coleshill 1900 OS Map

From checking my 1981 OS map of the area, the farm no longer exists, and there is a section relating to Kiln Farm under "An Evening With... Charles Pusey, Louie Edwards, Ruby May and Syd Ware". All quite fascinating, and the sort of knowledge that gets lost over the course of time, unless recorded like this.

It may be worth contacting the site to see if they can put you in touch with a local historian, but in the meantime I hope this goes some way to answering your query.

Thank you very much, Denise. That looks very likely.

#4 Denise

Denise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Walking, Travel, Home renovation, Piano, Arts and Crafts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:03 PM

Thank you very much, Denise. That looks very likely.

When I was in Waterstones today, I saw Julian Hunt had just published another local history book,- this time on Coleshill. You may be interested as it has a couple of entries on Kiln Farm. Apparently it was demolished in 1960 when the road was developed, which is why I don't remember it. We didn't move here until 1988.

#5 Kawasaki

Kawasaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:03 PM

When I was in Waterstones today, I saw Julian Hunt had just published another local history book,- this time on Coleshill. You may be interested as it has a couple of entries on Kiln Farm. Apparently it was demolished in 1960 when the road was developed, which is why I don't remember it. We didn't move here until 1988.

Thanks again. I was still living in the area in 1960, and the only road I can remember being straightened was Gore Hill down into Amersham. I will have to buy Julian Hunt's book. Incidentally, if you have his book on Amersham you will see a few references to my family - the Hatch family, chairmakers at Wheilden Gate. I provided the photographs!