10 replies to this topic

#1 newmem

newmem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:18 AM

Hi

i will be moving to amershan by next month and i will have to drive the kids to their current school in harrow every morning until they find a school in amersham. Can someone please let me know the best way to drive to harrow in the morning and what time to leave in order to miss the traffic. Some people told me that it will be a nightmare, please prove them wrong.

Thank you

#2 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:36 PM

A404 through Ricky/Northwood then either through Pinner or along George V Avenue to North Harrow and straight across the lights or across The Ridgeway between North Harrow and Rayners Lane and approach Harrow from South Harrow. Once you get out of Little Chalfont on the A404 it's either 60 or 40MPH until just after Ducks Hill Road and it normally flows quite well, unless there are problems on the M25 around the roadworks...

I'd guess it will be anything from 35 to 60 minutes. It takes me 30-45 minutes out of rush hour to get to my parents in Rayners Lane.

Or you could take them on the train from Amersham station, approx 25-30 mins.
Mel and Co

#3 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:20 PM

Or you go via the M25 at Chorleywood and M1 coming off at Stanmore and down to Harrow.Used to take me around 50-55mins in peak hour to get to Kenton which is right next to Harrow.

#4 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:02 PM

I travel in to Harrow (South Harrow / Northolt Road) every day from Prestwood and take the A413 through Chalfonts to Denham, onto the A40, then off at either Polish War Memorial or Target roundabout. This takes 40-60 mins (from Prestwood) even if the A40 is slow. On days where the A40 is very slow, or stopped, there are various alternative routes! From Prestwood to Harrow in school term time takes 45 minutes leaving at 7.15. I would not leave after 7.30 as that could take over an hour.

I guess the best route for you will depend on what side of Amersham you are and what part of Harrow you are aiming for!

#5 newmem

newmem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:39 AM

Thank you Mark

I am sorry for the delay as the people who was supposed to buy my house pull out and i thought i would not be moving to amersham anymore but we just recieved offers on our house and the house that we liked in Amersham still on the market. Short story , we might be moving soon now.

Thank you for the reply on the travelling issue , i will have to travel from around amersham station to north harrow. I will be very grateful if someone who does similar routes could help me.

#6 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:06 PM

A new neighbour has told me that it regularly takes her a 90 minute round trip (every morning), although it's slightly less in the afternoon, to take her children to a school in Northwood. Needless to say she's now looking for new schools in this area.
Mel and Co

#7 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:28 PM

Thank you Mark

I am sorry for the delay as the people who was supposed to buy my house pull out and i thought i would not be moving to amersham anymore but we just recieved offers on our house and the house that we liked in Amersham still on the market. Short story , we might be moving soon now.

Thank you for the reply on the travelling issue , i will have to travel from around amersham station to north harrow. I will be very grateful if someone who does similar routes could help me.

I used travel to Kenton from Chesham which is North West of Harrow and it took me around 50-55mins going via the A41 & M1.Have you tried entering the departure & destination into google maps?Seems to be pretty accurate.Or maybe try RAC or AA route planner.

#8 Bengley

Bengley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:28 PM

Go by train. Easier and quicker.

#9 jkracing

jkracing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:45 PM

It all depends on which part of Harrow you are going to? I change my route depending on the time of day.

Before 0630 - Take the A40 (thats if you want to enter Harrow via South Harrow) Come off at the Polish saves time instead of going to Target
After 0630 - Go through Ricky and then through Northwood Hills and into Pinner. Advantage of this route is it gives you more options should there be a road blockage if you get stuck on the A40 you are stuffed. Im not to keen on the M25/A41 routes to be honest.

Or as Bengley said get the train its so so simple into Harrow on the Hill only 25 mins but I understand that might not be an option for you!

#10 ianbartlett

ianbartlett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:40 PM

Definitely get the train. Go Amersham to Moor Park and change on to a service from Watford which will stop at North Harrow.

25 mins will cover it.

Driving that will be a nightmare.

#11 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:00 PM

Been almost a year since the OP's last post,wonder if they actually moved to Amersham and if they did what route they've found to be the best.