11 replies to this topic

#1 davco

davco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:19 PM

Never posted here before, so hello!

I've been researching my family history for years, and have just found out that a great, g,g aunt died in Chesham Bois in 1941 at the age of 88.
I'd always wondered what happened to her.
Her name was Letitia Ann Marks (nee Collins), she died in Jan 1941 at the home of her daughter Letitia Stone.
The address is given as La Cashette (Poss Cachette), Chesham Bois.
Just wondering whether the house still exists, and if any members of the Marks / Stone families still live in the area.
Thanks,
Dave (Collins)

#2 davco

davco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:57 PM

Found out a bit more, it was "La Cachette", Chesham Bois Common..................

#3 davco

davco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:40 PM

Found out a bit more, La Cachette was in Chestnut Lane, it was maybe built around 1923, and was still standing in 1970.
Possibly they had adjoining houses, inhabited by a Miss Kate (Kitty) Mabel Marks and Maud Sarah Marks. (as well as Letitia)
The Marks girls left the area between 1941 and 1967, living at the end of their lives in Merton, SW London

#4 davco

davco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:03 PM

More....the Marks family (at least,Kate Marks) was still there in 1948 and yet another relative of mine died there, a Julia Alice Davidson...................

#5 timo_w2s

timo_w2s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:43 PM

Hi Dave, I don't suppose you have a property number?

#6 davco

davco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:54 AM

Hi Dave, I don't suppose you have a property number?

Thanks for reply, no.....no number, think it had just a name and it stood back from the road (Chestnut Lane) a bit, behind houses named "Norvelle" and "Cranbourne"
I do have a map, hopefully attached to this post..
Dave

Attached Files

#7 timo_w2s

timo_w2s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:39 PM

Thanks for reply, no.....no number, think it had just a name and it stood back from the road (Chestnut Lane) a bit, behind houses named "Norvelle" and "Cranbourne"
I do have a map, hopefully attached to this post..
Dave

Thanks, that map was useful. I think I know where it is/was now but I don't know if it is still there. Next time I'm in the area I'll go take a closer look as this is all that can be seen on Google Streetview:
http://maps.google.c...2,70.51,,0,6.88

#8 davco

davco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:19 PM

Thanks, that map was useful. I think I know where it is/was now but I don't know if it is still there. Next time I'm in the area I'll go take a closer look as this is all that can be seen on Google Streetview:
http://maps.google.c...2,70.51,,0,6.88

Thanks for that.....
I believe it was built around 1923, could have been demolished in the 1970's, if you do see or find out anything I'd be grateful,
Dave

#9 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:28 PM

I'm not absolutely sure but looking at the satellite image on Google it looks as though it stood where the new houses in the new Madeley Close now stand.
David P

#10 davco

davco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 06:15 PM

I'm not absolutely sure but looking at the satellite image on Google it looks as though it stood where the new houses in the new Madeley Close now stand.

Oh....thanks for that, I've just been out and whilst driving it occurred to me to try the aerial view......
you're probably right, I don't know the area at all.....

#11 timo_w2s

timo_w2s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:25 PM

You could be right, at first I though Madeley Close was behind the property, taking some of the old back garden.

#12 davco

davco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 07:12 PM

Thanks to you both......!
Dave