#1 monica weller

monica weller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:00 PM

Hi

Does anyone remember a cafe in Hill Avenue in the 1960s possibly being run by a Mrs Evans?

Monica

#2 Kawasaki

Kawasaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Family and local history

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:13 PM

Hi

Does anyone remember a cafe in Hill Avenue in the 1960s possibly being run by a Mrs Evans?

Monica

Thre was a cafe in Hill Avenue in the 1950s called The Regency. It had a juke box and was the haunt of the Amersham Teds - they looked threatening but were no match for the hard cases from Chesham!

#3 monica weller

monica weller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:06 PM

Thre was a cafe in Hill Avenue in the 1950s called The Regency. It had a juke box and was the haunt of the Amersham Teds - they looked threatening but were no match for the hard cases from Chesham!

Hi K

I wasn't around then so can you tell me more please.

Was Chesham considered rough then?

Do you remember Mrs Evans working in the cafe or could you describe any of the staff?

Thanks

Monica

#4 Kawasaki

Kawasaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Family and local history

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:59 PM

Hi K

I wasn't around then so can you tell me more please.

Was Chesham considered rough then?

Do you remember Mrs Evans working in the cafe or could you describe any of the staff?

Thanks

Monica

I was in my early teens in the late 1950s and never dared enter The Regency, so I'm afraid I know nothing about the staff.

As for the Chesham Teds, they used to descend on Amersham Fair (the dodgems were only place then when you could hear rock'n'roll really amplified) and confront the Amersham Teds - no contest. Or so reports told - most family groups left the fair by 9.30, leaving it to what were then called juvenile delinquents.

#5 Roger Kerr

Roger Kerr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:40 AM

In the early '60's there was a slightly trendy cafe at the lower end of Hill Avenue on the right hand side towards the station called the Demi Lune. This was frequented on Saturday mornings by members of the Amersham and Chesham Bois Young Conservatives who used to meet st the Station Hotel on (I think) Tuesday evenings.

#6 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:00 PM

Obviously not old enough to remember the fifties, but would the Regency Cafe have been above the Cinema where Iceland is now ?

The only Cafe I recall apart from that and the Demi-Lune in Hill Avenue, was on Woodside Road The M&M and as Cliff the owner told me, it was most definately not a Cafe, but a restaurant.

#7 bluesbrothers

bluesbrothers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:56 PM

The M&M was a cafeteria type restaurant over a supermarket (now Iceland...was Cinema) - boys with cups of tea only were discouraged! The Demi-Lune was a delicatessen and cafe/restaurant owned by Mr Saunders (sons - Stephen and Danny) - catered mainly for older ladies but most were welcomed - the rum babas were to die for...The deli was on first floor - it became the dancewear/cake decorations shop at the end of the - now Tesco - block. The only proper greasy spoon in top Amersham was in the first stretch up from the Station, opposite side of road. It catered for "juvenile delinquents"! I can't remember the owner's name - sorry!

#8 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:21 AM

There was a cafe over the Maypole supermarket, where Iceland is now. i did not know it was M&M. The M&M I remember was on Woodside Road roughly opposite the Shell garage today, which was then Marshalls Garage. From http://www.amersham.org.uk/garages/ is the note

Marshalls Garage - Woodside Road (where Shell petrol station is now and also opposite Dorothy Shaw's florist) - Shell Petrol and car repairs. The garage used to have a small stall selling cakes, this became, on the opposite side of the road, the M&M Cafe. (Thanks to John Tooley, now from Delaware, U.S.A, for the memory of the cake stall.)

On Woodside Road at some point was Manhattan Cafe
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on Twitter

Amersham News Views & Information is also on Facebook

Don't forget to read the Forum Rules!

#9 bluesbrothers

bluesbrothers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:56 PM

Sorry - you're right Matthew, I got the Maypole cafe confused with the M&M which was on Woodside Road, as you say. Too much delinquancy has weakened the memory... Those days of formica...

#10 K&P

K&P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:Good food, good wine, The Chilterns

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

This is really interesting stuff! Thanks.

Does anyone know of any books about Amersham during this time?

K

#11 monica weller

monica weller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:19 PM

Thanks for all your input on this subject. It's helpful. Out of everything that's been mentioned it sounds as though the Demi Lune is the most likely cafe. thanks. Monica W

#12 monica weller

monica weller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

Hiya - this restaurant sounds interesting. Any chance anyone could add a bit more to its description. Am interested to read that the Amersham Teds weren't a match for the 'hard cases' from Chesham. Can anyone explain that for me too.All the threads on this top are very helpful. Look forward to reading some more on this.

Does anyone remember the sports/fancy good shop closeby...or the dairy?

The fancy good shop was called Tuts. Does that ring any bells with anyone?