#61 struthie

struthie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:22 PM

I did..and my Mum still does..

Aha thought I knew your name,I lived there for ten years too,until 1991.

#62 mvjt

mvjt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 04:06 PM

Phew - finally found a copy of the Amersam Examiner......it's taken me some looking. I only found it at the fourth shop I looked in - even Tesco didn't have it.

#63 flyssy

flyssy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:38 PM

just to let you know the devloper has submitted an appeal against the refusal decision (as expected)..the paperwork isn't online yet, but is in the file at the council offices

#64 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:52 PM

Hang on, everyone. You've got your way, planning permission has been denied and yet you are still criticising

just to let you know the devloper has submitted an appeal

To reiterate, no one was criticising the councillors who overwhelmingly rejected the application, but as expected, that decision was just a breathing space in the battle…

Flyssy – I realise it's early days, but do you have any idea of the timescales for the appeal or how one lobbies them etc?

#65 flyssy

flyssy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:12 AM

Fran, I've sent you an email...

#66 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 06 January 2007 - 03:56 PM

This is now going to appeal. If you'd like to lodge you objections, please write to:

Planning Inspectorate
Room 3/07, Kite Wing
Temple Quay House
2 The Square
Temple Quay
Bristol BS1 6PN

quoting Inspectorate ref: APP/X0415/A/06/2032500/NWF (CDC ref: CH/2006/1474/FA).

It must arrive by Thursday 18th January 07.

When making objections, reiterate the reasons the Planning Committee overwhelmingly rejected it:

"The proposed dwellings would by reason of the steeply sloping nature of the site and their siting, height and proximity and resulting overlooking to the existing properties fronting First Avenue, have a detrimental impact on the residential amenities of the occupiers of those properties. Furthermore development on this elevated site would result in an unattractive urban street scene which would be out of keeping with the existing character of the area and which would be exacerbated by the need for high retaining walls along the proposed access driveway leading from First Avenue which would be detrimental to the visual amenity of the locality. The proposed development is therefore contrary to Policies GC1, GC3 and H3 of the Adopted Chiltern District Local Plan 1997 (Including Adopted Alterations May 2001 and July 2004)."

However, one point to note is that in their submission, the developer rejects the objection to the retaining walls on the grounds that they're not shown on the plans submitted! I don't see how they could build it without, so don't know why it's not on the plans.

And there's no harm mentioning the impact on High and Over and how dangerous the road is etc etc, even though the committee were unable to use those grounds because the Historic Buildings Officer and the Highways Dept had reservations/regret, rather than actual objections.

It might also be worth mentioning that whist (sadly) some infilling in Amersham and elsewhere is inevitable, this particular site is really not viable, as proved by the fact that the only councillor in favour was the only one who didn't visit the site, whereas several who were vaguely in favour when looking at the plans on paper, change their minds after visiting the site. I don't know if the appeals people do site visits, but if not, they need to be aware of what they are missing by not doing so.

Fingers crossed.

#67 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:54 PM

A local developer has submitted more plans to build 12 semi-detached houses in back gardens, behind 8-15 First Avenue, which also back onto the gardens of High and Over. (a previous plan was refused 6 months ago)

As feared, and despite being overwhelmingly rejected by the CDC planning committee, the developer has won on appeal to the national planning inspectorate. There were a few conditions attached to the permission, but nothing significant, and most of them had been raised before.

Apart from being bad for this particular site, it is worrying in general because appeals cost the council (and thus council tax payers) money, and so the planning committee may be more wary about rejecting such infill applications in future, especially given it was easier to find objections to this one than to many (the very steep slope and severe overlooking, busy road with restricted view from access road, overlooking High and Over etc).

#68 flyssy

flyssy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 05:31 PM

As feared, and despite being overwhelmingly rejected by the CDC planning committee, the developer has won on appeal to the national planning inspectorate. There were a few conditions attached to the permission, but nothing significant, and most of them had been raised before.

Apart from being bad for this particular site, it is worrying in general because appeals cost the council (and thus council tax payers) money, and so the planning committee may be more wary about rejecting such infill applications in future, especially given it was easier to find objections to this one than to many (the very steep slope and severe overlooking, busy road with restricted view from access road, overlooking High and Over etc).

It's bad news, not totally unexpected...on to plan B then... ;)

#69 sarika

sarika

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:46 PM

It's bad news, not totally unexpected...on to plan B then... ;)

Hi my name is Sarika, and I'm the reporter for the Amersham Examiner. I'd really like to find out more about this development, if you could contact me I'd really appreciate it.

01753 888333.

Thanks

Sarika

#70 mvjt

mvjt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:37 PM

It is beginning to look as though the developer might be starting to move on this site. A van was parked today in the drive of the house which is to be demolished to make way for the entry road to the site and two men were taking sights with levels up and down the road.

Oddly, though, I saw new turf being delivered to the back garden of the same house from a similar van last week.

#71 mvjt

mvjt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 02:14 PM

works have started in full today in demolishing the house. I'd avoid first avenue if you can as the road is full of trucks etc and there is quite a bottleneck.

#72 mvjt

mvjt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:09 PM

I understand all work has stopped on this site now due to the housing crisis.

#73 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:20 AM

There haven't been many such infill/back garden planning applications in the last 6 months or so (the Station Road flats being a notable exception), but to stop work on a site that has been purchased and cleared is rather more drastic.

For those that are directly next to the site, I don't know if it's better to live next to completed houses, with new trees/shrubs growing and new brick weathering, of to live next to a bare site?

#74 a t o m i c

a t o m i c

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 03:51 PM

Difficult to shed a tear for the developer, isn't it? Mind you, I blame the planners for allowing it in the first place.

#75 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 04:27 PM

I blame the planners for allowing it in the first place.

But not the local ones - they firmly rejected it more than once (only one voted in favour, and he doesn't live in Amersham and was the only one who hadn't visited the site). It was a national appeal panel that let it happen - out of CDC's control.

#76 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 04:21 PM

For a similar proposal for the bottom of Hundred Acres Lane (near the junction with First Avenue), the developers are now taking their application to the national Planning Inspectorate appeals panel. Even if it gets approved there (as I suspect it will), they wouldn't have to build immediately, but it still seems odd to go to the hassle and expense of such an appeal just now.

#77 gizmo

gizmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Currently finding a family house in Amersham.

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:14 PM

I had a quick look at these last night. The back gardens are smallish.

Show home opens for viewing this weekend. Has anyone found the online brochures for these houses. The howarth homes website is currently "rather broken".....

#78 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:23 PM

Show home opens for viewing this weekend. Has anyone found the online brochures for these houses. The howarth homes website is currently "rather broken".....

There is something in the window of estate agents Frosts (think that is the one, the one by The Entertainer). It might be the same thing?
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

Amersham News, Views & Information Facebook Page

#79 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:51 PM

Yes, they were built by Howarth, are being sold by Frost Partnership and the development is called "High View Place".

The gardens would be small because the entire development is squeezed into the former back gardens of about half a dozen homes.

Prices are £395k for 2 bed semi and £495k for 3 bed semi!

#80 mvjt

mvjt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:14 PM

Here's the page for the brochure:
http://web.aspasia.n...ocs/390717i.pdf

#81 gizmo

gizmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:17 PM

I cannot believe the prices of these houses :unsure:

The gardens are sloping to be what I would call family friendly.

#82 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:30 PM

I cannot believe the prices of these houses :unsure:

Ditto.

Having looked at the brochure MVJ linked to, I'm puzzled as to why the upstairs is so much smaller than the downstairs because the aerial view (albeit an artist's impression) doesn't show the ground floor extending at the back in the way the floor plans do.

The downstairs area is not too bad, but for almost half a million, I would expect the third "bed"room to be more than 10' 3" by 7' 0" max. But maybe the lights are by Swarovski and the taps are plated in real gold.

#83 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:28 PM

Cant believe the pices ?

Obviously not looked to buy in Amersham recently. New build will always fetch a premium (which you never recoup). You need £300k at least to buy an ex local authority or Woodly home, anything with any quality about the build is £400k and rising.

#84 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:31 PM

I realise that, but even allowing for the premium for Amersham and the premium for new houses, I think the upstairs dimensions are very meagre for the money.

#85 gizmo

gizmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:00 AM

I agree with Fran that what is on offer does not seem like value for money.

After two and a half years of looking, I have hust completed on a Woodley hovelette; and will be moving in three weeks. Oh the shame of it.... :lol: :rolleyes: B)

#86 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:56 AM

You may not like it (or the developers may not like it) but the houses are worth exactly what a buyer is prepared to pay for them.
David P

#87 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:19 AM

You may not like it (or the developers may not like it) but the houses are worth exactly what a buyer is prepared to pay for them.

Obviously. (After one or two have sold, I may not be the only one who looks up the actual price they went for.)

I have just completed on a Woodley hovelette; and will be moving in three weeks. Oh the shame of it.... :lol: :rolleyes: B)

No shame, especially if it's where you want and need to be. I hope you're very happy there.

#88 Denise

Denise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Walking, Travel, Home renovation, Piano, Arts and Crafts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:24 AM

The brochure is a wonderful piece of waffle but perhaps they should have named it High Hutches!

I agree that the room sides are woeful. My guess would be that they are using the old developers trick of taking the doors off in the show house to make the room seem larger.

Interesting to see that they didn't maximise the upper floor space to match that of the downstairs floor plan. I expect whoever buys them will be putting in a planning application for that 3rd or 4th bedroom at some stage - the dimensions would suggest that there is capacity for this.

#89 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:42 AM

That's proper comedy pricing! :D

My ex next door neighbour was very cunning in a similar situation. Her house had been on the market for a while at the market price, but had not sold. When the development of town houses started right next to us here in Lincoln Park, she took her house off the market until the new ones went on sale. These tiny roomed, hilariously priced properties drew buyers in, but none of them sold. Then my neighbour put her house back on the market and it sold within a few weeks to someone who'd viewed the new places but baulked at the half million pound price tag.

The answer to your next question? Yes, she got more for the house the second time it was on the market. :)

#90 mvjt

mvjt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:04 AM

I wandered up there on Sunday and one of the two bedroom houses was already reserved!