And if you are regular customers, he probably already knows that...Posted Image

#62 Delta

Delta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:01 PM

. . . .and I only thought the menu was dishonest! :unsure: ;)

#63 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

I'm planning on an evening out with Mrs E this week and can't decide between One 0 One and Guidos. I'm familiar with Guidos but have never been to One 0 One, does anyone have any more recent experience of it?

#64 Unremarkable

Unremarkable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:00 PM

I've not been to Guido's but I hear it is quite traditional and more upmarket (expensive) than One O One. I went to One O One a few weeks ago for a night out with Mr.Unremarkable. It feels like a Bistro rather than a restaurant (the tables are quite close together at One O One and the decor is a bit rustic).

The meal was good, we had a sharer starter plate (salami, bread, olives etc), and then mushroom linguine for me, (lots of chillies, very flavoursome) and lambshank from the specials board for Mr. Unremarkable. He has a prodigious appetite and found it good but had room for the tiramisu.

The service was lovely, wine was moderately priced and all in all a nice night out.

#65 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

I think Eaton goes there regularly, so if she doesn't reply soon, you could PM her.

I hope you and "Mrs E" have a lovely night, whichever restaurant you choose.

#66 struthie

struthie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:24 AM

Myself and Eaton stopped going to One 0 One a long time ago ....

#67 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:31 AM

We quite liked it.

We booked a table and was offered the last empty table downstairs, or a choice of tables up stairs. We were the third group upstairs, so it was a little quieter.

We shared at Antipasto start, which was nice and fresh with some ciabatta bread.

As I was having steak (adventurous to the last) and Marie was having salmon, we had the house rose wine which was too cold, but fine after it warmed up a little.

My steak came with nice big fat chips. It's a shame they had been salted, As my steak was in a pepper sauce, I didn't feel the chips needed a salt. I did mention this to the waiter and he told me the chef doesn't normally salt chips. If they were frozen chips, they might have had a flavour coating, but I didn't ask if the chips were premade.

All of the above, two bottles of fizzy water and two deserts came to £66 plus tip.

We could compare it to Guidos. They are both Italian - but in other ways they are very different.

Guidos is very consistent. I've had the same dish there on 3 occasions and it was identical and very nice every time. The service is excellent there and I like the size of the building and the staff - they made a huge fuss of Marie when we went there when she was heavily pregnant - she adores the place for that!

But One 0 One is cheaper, they don't keep you waiting for the table (Guidos have done so every time I've been there) and crucially, it's walking distance for us, even when full of wine. :)

Definitely worth a second visit.

#68 LnM

LnM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:32 PM

101, the popular Turkish-run, Italian restaurant seems to have closed and will soon become a Thai restaurant. Over the road the owner of the Blue Orchid, another Thai restaurant, is opening an Indian restaurant, the Blue Lily, a few doors away. And they say Amersham is boring...

#69 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,487 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:59 PM

I had noticed a sign on the door saying closed for 3 weeks but that was 2-3 weeks ago.
Mel and Co

#70 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:49 PM

Great another Thai restaurant!

#71 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

I love Thai food, but it's a  little odd that the only two  Thais in the area will be directly opposite each other.

(Mind you, we have Indians in close proximity of each other, and Italian chains, and meanwhile Blue Orchid is about to open an Indian a couple of doors along.)

#72 gazza13

gazza13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:34 AM

large sign on the door of 101 says the "Tom Yum" Thai restaurant will soon open.  People were working in there last night. Which take away to try first Blue Lily or Tom Yum, or just stick with one I know.  

It is a real shame it isn't a butchers any more.  

#73 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:36 PM

I know what you mean, yet although I liked it being there, and was more than happy with everything I bought there, like many people, I very rarely went there (so much quicker and easier to do a whole week's shop under one roof). That makes me one of the guilty.

#74 zippys

zippys

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

large sign on the door of 101 says the "Tom Yum" Thai restaurant will soon open.  People were working in there last night. Which take away to try first Blue Lily or Tom Yum, or just stick with one I know.  

I'm just glad its not a hair-dresses or charity shop!! 

#75 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:19 PM

Some of the charity shops are actually very good. It would be nice to have more variety of restaurants. However, if they don't pay then you can't argue for keeping with popular Indian and Thai

#76 mvjt

mvjt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:27 PM

An example of a bit of variety I can think of in Amersham, the Village Mangal, (Turkish) is always very busy.  I would hope that could encourage other more unusual restaurants to open.

#77 Kelly

Kelly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:03 PM

I vote sushi - for my visits!

#78 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:46 PM

NB There is now a new topic for the new restaurant, Tom Yum: http://www.amersham....wtopic=4914&hl=