38 replies to this topic

#1 Jeannie686

Jeannie686

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 04:58 PM

I've heard a few various rumours about the future of Chesham Station?

Someone told me they were planning on closing it when it isn't peak time and also closing it on weekends; someone else told me it was to close altogether (can't be true, surely?!); yet another person said it was just the ticket office that would be affected, not the station itself?

Please could someone set the record straight?!

#2 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:32 PM

Doubt very much they are intending to close the station.There has been talk about closing the ticket office at weekends.Have a look at this article:

Boris U-turn on Chesham ticket office closure

Also have a look at this link

More trains to London from Chesham:

There will be an increase in the number of trains from and to Chesham,thus an increase in total passenegers travelling to/from Chesham.Thats another reason it would be odd that they would close the station.

#3 Jeannie686

Jeannie686

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:39 PM

Doubt very much they are intending to close the station.There has been talk about closing the ticket office at weekends.Have a look at this article:

Boris U-turn on Chesham ticket office closure

Also have a look at this link

More trains to London from Chesham:

There will be an increase in the number of trains from and to Chesham,thus an increase in total passenegers travelling to/from Chesham.Thats another reason it would be odd that they would close the station.

Wow, this is brilliant! Thanks for the information.... I'll be sure to let people know in the salon and hairdresser I go to in Chesham! I did hear there was a town meeting a couple of weeks back - perhaps longer - but couldn't go because I was working. SO PLEASED there will be more trains in the morning that go direct as the service is appalling once you hit Baker Street; I work in Liverpool Street and I am late to work at least 3 times a week, it's dire. Was thinking of complaining but didn't see the point!

#4 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:32 PM

It is brilliant news. :) Anyone who used that shuttle service regularily,will understand the need for it to be replaced with a straught through service.Apparently it may happen next year.

TFL Article

They say 2011,guess they don't want to be pinned to a certain month or time of year. :)

#5 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:40 PM

There will be an increase in the number of trains from and to Chesham,

But at the expense of halving the Met line service to Amersham.
PeterC aka Chilternbirder

#6 Weezer

Weezer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:43 AM

It is brilliant news. :) Anyone who used that shuttle service regularily,will understand the need for it to be replaced with a straught through service.Apparently it may happen next year.

TFL Article

They say 2011,guess they don't want to be pinned to a certain month or time of year. :)

A little sooner than that even. The through service is scheduled to commence from 12th December this year.

#7 chesham321

chesham321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 08:43 AM

A little sooner than that even. The through service is scheduled to commence from 12th December this year.

Are you sure that its not just the 4 times daily through service recomencing? (thats how i read it anyway?) as it has been suspended.

I was a little concerned about the future of the station to, the reason given to suspend the through service didn't add up in my mind. "suspended due to an increased amount of leaves on the line, and to ensure the rest of the line runs on time" I have seen no difference in the amount of time / speed of the trains to and from chalfont, I always think this depends on who is driving the train!?

IF we are going to be given the through train service, what will happen next autumn?

#8 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:20 PM

Yes I also read that but wasnt sure it was true.Hopefully 147 will have an update :)

#9 friday

friday

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:56 PM

The 4 x through peak services for Chesham (two in the morning, two in the evening) are currently suspended due to the unrelability of the points at Chalfont. What is happening is that the leaf mulch that builds up on the rails is playing havoc with not only the points, but also the track circuits (that detect where the trains are). The succession of points and track circuit failures in late October and early November were caused in part or whole by these two issues. To alleviate the ongoing delays when the points or track circuits fail, LUL have taken the decision to suspend the through services until 12th December when they will be resinstated as per the normal timetable.

What *is* happening from the 12th December is that off-peak services will be shared between Amersham and Chesham. Therefore Amersham will get 2 x Met and 2 x Chiltern with a 2 x 20 min service gap per hour, and Chesham will get 2 x met through trains per hour. This only affects off-peak, and there will be no additional through services in the peak for Chesham. This applies for off-peak services both weekdays and weekends (with the variation that Sundays only have 1 Chiltern per hour).

At least, that's my current understanding of the situation.

What will happen with through services next Autumn during leaf fall is anyones guess but LUL have got 10 months to come up with a list of excuses for that still :)

#10 chesham321

chesham321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:15 PM

That is exactly the situation!

I have just called TFL customer services, as from 12th December the shuttle will cease to exist, and will be replaced by a twice hourly service to Baker Street.

The VERY HELPFULL man I spoke to said they had just received the timetables today........ For those interested the first trains are 0551, 0618, 0650..........

Hopefully more people will now use Chesham (as I will) and not clogg up the roads around Amersham station so much!

#11 Speedy

Speedy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:58 PM

If that's the case i assume the bay platform at chalfont station will become redundant.

#12 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:38 PM

If that's the case i assume the bay platform at chalfont station will become redundant.

Yes

Late services, when the Amersham service is reduced to 2 trains per hour anyway, will reportedly be covered by diverting two Watford slow trains instead.
Considering the number of occasions when the shuttle runs in place of the existing through service I suspect that there will be a lot of times when Chesham is without a service at all.

I think somebody is expecting more people driving to Chalfont and Latimer with the Amersham service reduced considering the 59% increase in weekday parking charges there.

#13 Weezer

Weezer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:44 PM

Yes I also read that but wasnt sure it was true.Hopefully 147 will have an update :)

To confirm my previous post, and subsequent to further posts by other members, I can confirm that the through Chesham - Baker Street service will commence from 12th December. Additionally, and as previously mentioned, the two Watford services diverted to run to Chesham (later in the evening) will run ALL stations, thereby maintaing a 10 minute service at stations between Northwood and North Harrow. Watford and Croxley will become a 10/20 minute service like Amersham during all of the off-peak. The only fast trains will be the two Met and two Chilterns to/from Amersham.

The through service is being introduced because when the existing A Stock trains are finally decommissioned, there won't be a dedicated shorter new S Stock train to cover the shuttle service between Chesham and Chalfont. Therefore the bay platform at Chalfont will become disused. I guess costs were prohibitive for the bay platform to be extended. Nor are the points at Chalfont being renewed so come this time next year during autumn with the leaves and probably at other times throughout the year (i.e. when there is heavy rain or hot sun, etc) the points will be bound to fail as they are already so old so I'm sure things will slowly go down the proverbial pan. Still, that's progress.

#14 roob_the_doob

roob_the_doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:13 AM

Nor are the points at Chalfont being renewed so come this time next year during autumn with the leaves and probably at other times throughout the year (i.e. when there is heavy rain or hot sun, etc) the points will be bound to fail as they are already so old so I'm sure things will slowly go down the proverbial pan. Still, that's progress.

I thought all the track and signalling had been replaced? What have we been suffering weekend disruptions for for the last many years?

BTW do you know which inbound service is being withdrawn from Amersham? Is it the one 10 or 20 mins after the Chiltern service? (My opinion of "decison makers" will be evident from my expectation that they'll keep the one that leaves 10 mins before the Marylebone train, which will then run empty most days since Chiltern train 10 mins later will arrive first.)

#15 Weezer

Weezer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:02 AM

I thought all the track and signalling had been replaced? What have we been suffering weekend disruptions for for the last many years?

BTW do you know which inbound service is being withdrawn from Amersham? Is it the one 10 or 20 mins after the Chiltern service? (My opinion of "decison makers" will be evident from my expectation that they'll keep the one that leaves 10 mins before the Marylebone train, which will then run empty most days since Chiltern train 10 mins later will arrive first.)

The closures over the past year were simply down to getting the existing signalling to work with the new trains, i.e. new circuitry etc. Unfortunately very few of the closures have actually upgraded or repaired the actual tracks and points. Some of the closures have also been because of the engineering work on the Jubilee Line.

And yes, sadly you're right. The Amersham Mets will go at 16 and 46 past the hour and the Chilterns at 26 and 56 past the hour, thus meaning (I think) that most people will opt for the Chiltern 10 minutes later to arrive in London at around the same time as the Met would (I imagine a fair number of people do this already anyway). In turn though this method of working minimises, in the other direction at least, the wait off a NB Met at Amersham for anyone connecting with the next NB Chiltern to Aylesbury (a 5 minute or so wait instead of 15). Also, as a by-product, the diverted Chesham service will leave, rather nicely, at 00 and 30 minutes past the hour.

#16 Jeannie686

Jeannie686

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:41 PM

This is why this forum is so brilliant, there are always people who have 'the knowledge' ready to lend a helping hand!

I used to get the 0754 (now 0751) supposedly to arrive in Liverpool Street by 0905... most of the time over the last 2 to 3 months however I have been arriving at Liverpool Street at 0935, and have been late for work. I'm guessing that people who get the 0751 are used to the old excuses of 'signal failures at Neasden / Wembley Park' or getting suddenly thrown off at Harrow and having to get an all stations to Aldgate instead of a fast train! Same goes for the 0815 from my experience. It is incredibly frustrating.

As for the Chiltern Trains, this line is great for people who work in the West End, but for those of us who work in the City this just adds time to our already lengthy journeys from Chesham (and I'm sure those who commute from Amersham too), I would FAR prefer they put more trains on during the peak hours or run more through trains to Aldgate.

Or will that just give the drivers more reason to use the 'congestion between Baker Street and Aldgate/too many trains' line...... the number of groans from passengers when this is used! Honestly....

Hopefully now I am working in Moorgate and getting the 0719 to get to work at 9am (due to pull in to Moorgate at 0830!) I won't be late as much, although I really should check the new train timetable from the 12th of December now you've mentioned it here.....

#17 Bengley

Bengley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 05:06 PM

Let me just put this here: http://chesham.bucki...line-could.html

Part of my email is in that article.

All of those silly Chesham residents who wanted the through service will soon regret it!

#18 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:01 PM

All of those silly Chesham residents who wanted the through service will soon regret it!

Do you seriously like the shuttle service? :) I've not found that myself.There won't be that option to use the shuttle service to Chesham,so in some ways TFL will have to share the delays around the system,rather than use Chesham residents as the scapegoat.Not surprising they have a problem with leaves on the line,if you look around Chalfont station there are trees all around.I understand its hard to control leaves,but why cant they have better mesh fencing near the effected lines,maybe some kind of buffers to trap leaves caused by the train slipstream and remove the trees at the station?Also I find it strange that they still have problems with frozen points,arent they trace heated?

#19 ianbartlett

ianbartlett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 01:05 PM

That's a rather pessimistic response to a hard-won service improvement from London Underground; talk about damned if they do, damned if they don't. The Shuttle service to Chesham is clearly one of the major reasons people drive to Amersham - count me as one of them. A through service will increase traffic on the Chesham branch and reduce traffic on the roads between Amersham and Chesham.

I, too, am concerned about what happens next year during leaf-fall; however, I have received a response to an enquiry I made about this which states that LU are looking at an 'engineering solution' for the points at Chalfont. It seems it has crossed their minds as well. However, I think that if LU do not have the Shuttle to fall back on, it may focus them on maintaining the through service. Amersham already has the Chiltern Railways service and this is far busier than the Met trains, so maybe LU will be more concerned with Chesham than perhaps they have been in the past.

Sorry, but I just don't buy into the instinctive negativity expressed in the article.

#20 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:11 PM

hard-won service improvement from London Underground

The through service has nothing to do with demand from Chesham residents and everything to do with the fact that the new trains are simply too big for the bay platform at Chalfont.

The problem with the through service is the single track between Chalfont and Chesham. If a Chesham service gets to Chalfont while the previous train is still on the branch then either everthing behind is going to wait, and several trainloads of people have to be compensated, or it gets diverted to Amersham and only the Chesham passengers need to be compensated. What do you think the bean counters in LUL management will choose?

#21 Bengley

Bengley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:47 PM

That's a rather pessimistic response to a hard-won service improvement from London Underground; talk about damned if they do, damned if they don't. The Shuttle service to Chesham is clearly one of the major reasons people drive to Amersham - count me as one of them. A through service will increase traffic on the Chesham branch and reduce traffic on the roads between Amersham and Chesham.

I, too, am concerned about what happens next year during leaf-fall; however, I have received a response to an enquiry I made about this which states that LU are looking at an 'engineering solution' for the points at Chalfont. It seems it has crossed their minds as well. However, I think that if LU do not have the Shuttle to fall back on, it may focus them on maintaining the through service. Amersham already has the Chiltern Railways service and this is far busier than the Met trains, so maybe LU will be more concerned with Chesham than perhaps they have been in the past.

Sorry, but I just don't buy into the instinctive negativity expressed in the article.

Why do you drive to Amersham? The leaf fall peak shuttle service connects with the southbound train at Chalfont - as soon as the shuttle arrives, the London train is rolling into the platform, so you're actually saving about a minute! What is wrong with the shuttle? The trains are the same as the main Met line trains.

London Underground are not going to replace the points at Chalfont & Latimer, they have already stated this internally.

Why is it such an inconvenience to have to get off a train and walk literally 4 metres to get on another one? The process from getting off the Chesham train to getting on the London train takes 5 seconds, are you really that fussy?

#22 Bengley

Bengley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:53 PM

Do you seriously like the shuttle service? :) I've not found that myself.There won't be that option to use the shuttle service to Chesham,so in some ways TFL will have to share the delays around the system,rather than use Chesham residents as the scapegoat.Not surprising they have a problem with leaves on the line,if you look around Chalfont station there are trees all around.I understand its hard to control leaves,but why cant they have better mesh fencing near the effected lines,maybe some kind of buffers to trap leaves caused by the train slipstream and remove the trees at the station?Also I find it strange that they still have problems with frozen points,arent they trace heated?

The Chesham shuttle prevents delays to many passengers, it's a great service and it rarely goes wrong. Are you proposing that LU put mesh fencing up above the line? Who is going to pay for this? Who is going to go on top of the mesh fencing every day and remove the leaves which have fallen onto it? Surely residents in the area will complain if LU remove trees from the area, they seemed to complain about the ongoing embankment stabilization which unfortunately involved cutting down many trees.

Yes, I believe the points do have heaters in them but this doesn't prevent all of the problems which you may encounter with points.

#23 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:27 PM

The Chesham shuttle prevents delays to many passengers, it's a great service and it rarely goes wrong. Are you proposing that LU put mesh fencing up above the line? Who is going to pay for this? Who is going to go on top of the mesh fencing every day and remove the leaves which have fallen onto it? Surely residents in the area will complain if LU remove trees from the area, they seemed to complain about the ongoing embankment stabilization which unfortunately involved cutting down many trees.

Yes, I believe the points do have heaters in them but this doesn't prevent all of the problems which you may encounter with points.

I was just suggesting that perhaps some kind of buffer could be intalled,not talking about a humungous construction of fencing installed,just a low level buffer to reduce the leaves reaching the points.Yes residents might complain, but the majority of trees around that area arent near residents properties.They could possibly be replaced with evergreens.Just amazing that LU still struggle to keep these fundamental poins operational and yet they have spent millions refurbishing stations and trains.Is this such a problem with other signal/points,or is it just that the points/signals at Chalfont are so old?

#24 Bengley

Bengley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:35 PM

I was just suggesting that perhaps some kind of buffer could be intalled,not talking about a humungous construction of fencing installed,just a low level buffer to reduce the leaves reaching the points.Yes residents might complain, but the majority of trees around that area arent near residents properties.They could possibly be replaced with evergreens.Just amazing that LU still struggle to keep these fundamental poins operational and yet they have spent millions refurbishing stations and trains.Is this such a problem with other signal/points,or is it just that the points/signals at Chalfont are so old?

They can't install any sort of buffer near the tracks, it wouldn't work and it'd probably get in the way.

There's more than one reason for the failures - the points are old and not maintained as much because they're not used heavily and the main reason is simply the place they're in - most other points on the underground are in urban areas where leaves never get the chance to go near them.

#25 ianbartlett

ianbartlett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:23 AM

Why is it such an inconvenience to have to get off a train and walk literally 4 metres to get on another one? The process from getting off the Chesham train to getting on the London train takes 5 seconds, are you really that fussy?

And when you return, that's also four metres is it? For a start, if you're elderly or disabled getting under the subway to make the connection is very inconvenient and can mean you miss the connection; ask my 93 year old father-in-law who is otherwise fit and healthy but is not that fast on his feet.

Secondly, no, of course a short walk under the subway is not that inconvenient for most people. What is more inconvenient though is, in times of frequent disruption, arriving late at Chalfont following delays on the line and a complete lack of communication or understanding in London that there even is such a thing as the Shuttle, to find that the shuttle has departed two minutes before you got there. This has happened on numerous occasions including last week. That makes me 30 minutes home from London, on top of the delay already encountered owing to signal failure, track failure, not enough trains, broken down train, staff shortage, leaves etc. Stuck at Chalfont when it's -4 degrees is not funny. In any case, it is human nature to prefer to sit on one train and get off it at the end of the journey, not to have to change trains.

Most people do not have an in-built knowledge of the rail system so find changes, however straightforward, inconvenient preferring to sit tight until they arrive at their destination. That's why so many people travel by car even though in many cases it's more expensive and slower (and will come up with all sorts of fabricated reasons as to why it isn't). As someone who is strongly in favour of rail transport, I can see why many don't even consider using it.

#26 ianbartlett

ianbartlett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:33 AM

The through service has nothing to do with demand from Chesham residents and everything to do with the fact that the new trains are simply too big for the bay platform at Chalfont.

The problem with the through service is the single track between Chalfont and Chesham. If a Chesham service gets to Chalfont while the previous train is still on the branch then either everthing behind is going to wait, and several trainloads of people have to be compensated, or it gets diverted to Amersham and only the Chesham passengers need to be compensated. What do you think the bean counters in LUL management will choose?

Yes, the platform extension was probably the primary reason. However, there is no doubt that Chesham residents have requested this for a long time and this was one of the reasons LU took into account as was clear from publishing the consultation results.

Regarding the single line, there is equally as much of an issue with the shuttle; once it's left Chalfont, it's gone for 25-30 minutes. In times of disruption, connections are frequently missed leaving people stranded or, frequently, going to Amersham to get a taxi which they pay for out of their own pocket. On balance, I doubt there'll be any worsening of the service in times of disruption when compared to the Shuttle arrangements. If there is, we shall have to remind Cheryl Gillan that as voters we can give...and we can take away!

#27 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:28 PM

What is more inconvenient though is, in times of frequent disruption, arriving late at Chalfont following delays on the line and a complete lack of communication or understanding in London that there even is such a thing as the Shuttle, to find that the shuttle has departed two minutes before you got there. This has happened on numerous occasions including last week. That makes me 30 minutes home from London, on top of the delay already encountered owing to signal failure, track failure, not enough trains, broken down train, staff shortage, leaves etc. Stuck at Chalfont when it's -4 degrees is not funny.

Been there many times in the past when I used to get that Met line and know exactly wheere youre coming from.

They can't install any sort of buffer near the tracks, it wouldn't work and it'd probably get in the way.

There's more than one reason for the failures - the points are old and not maintained as much because they're not used heavily and the main reason is simply the place they're in - most other points on the underground are in urban areas where leaves never get the chance to go near them.

Yes its probably true that they'd have trouble placing a buffer near the tracks,but could have one either side of the train route.Well hopefully the points will now have to be maintained more regularily as theyll have more use with the additional through trains to Chesham.

#28 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:41 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again where are the Chesham commuters going to park in Chesham ?

#29 ianbartlett

ianbartlett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 04:31 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again where are the Chesham commuters going to park in Chesham ?

I suspect many of them will walk. Not all, admittedly, but probably enough live within easy distance of the station. Many are also kiss-and-ride i.e. they get dropped off at the station rather than parking. Most people who get off the 18.02 and 18.37 arrivals walk off or get picked up - hardly any go to the car park and drive off.

#30 Jeannie686

Jeannie686

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:43 PM

Personally I have no problem with the Chesham shuttle service, only that sometimes it is inconsistent in a. the times it is supposed to arrive and leave, and b. the drivers often leave later to 'wait for the second/third Amersham service to arrive'. Now I'm not deliberately trying to be cruel to those passengers who are changing on the later Amersham trains, but sometimes it really confuses me that I rush to get the fast Amersham at Moorgate at 1715 just so I can get to the shuttle service at Chalfont 'on time' when I may as well have strolled to Moorgate as the shuttle will be late leaving as it waits for the later trains anyway! I know, a minor inconvenience really, but the drivers do tend to change the rules on the shuttle service in this regard. One driver will wait, the other the next day won't!

Well, that's my rant over, what I really care about is that the service is on time, efficient and doesn't get me sacked for being late to work every week! the 0719 is at least always on time so far, unlike the 0754. And the 0719 seems just as packed in the mornings too, which I was surprised by! I really underestimated how much the service was used at Chesham.... a very valuable service!