Tube strike: Aslef drivers to walkout on Boxing Day

#2 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:18 PM

Triple time AND a day in lieu - that's equivalent to 160,000 a year. With that level of greed they ought to be bankers.
David P

#3 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:45 PM

Apparently they have already signed a contract that deals with their working bank holidays.It is amazing how greedy they are.Shocking when most employees in other companies,have no/little annual wage increase and are just happy to keep their jobs.

#4 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:50 PM

Triple time AND a day in lieu - that's equivalent to 160,000 a year. With that level of greed they ought to be bankers.

Don't believe the media hype. The only day off we are guaranteed each year is christmas day. When I first started working for LUL we worked one boxing day in four over the years due to service enhancements it has gone to one in two, this year the company decided everybody should work unless it was their rostered rest day, we don't get extra for working bank holidays or unsocial hours. I don't have a problem with working on a bank holiday if I am going to be paid for it. And I'm sure if the company paid double time they would get enough people prepared to work to run a service.

Incidentaly when was the last time Amersham Stn was open on boxing day ?, not in my living memory.

National Rail also do not run on boxing day. I stand to be corrected but I don't think the DLR or London Overground run on Boxing Day.

#5 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:13 PM

, we don't get extra for working bank holidays or unsocial hours. I don't have a problem with working on a bank holiday if I am going to be paid for it.

Of course you get paid for it. It's perfectly obvious that the job includes working unsocial hours and that is what you are paid for, around 40,000 a year - a lot more than many others get who work unsocial hours (e.g. bus drivers, ambulance staff, Tesco staff). As I said before the drivers are just like bankers - expecting to get a bonus just for doing their job. The sooner Cameron does to Bob Crow and his mate as ASLEF what Thatcher did to Scargill the better.
David P

#6 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:29 PM

Of course you get paid for it. It's perfectly obvious that the job includes working unsocial hours and that is what you are paid for, around 40,000 a year - a lot more than many others get who work unsocial hours (e.g. bus drivers, ambulance staff, Tesco staff). As I said before the drivers are just like bankers - expecting to get a bonus just for doing their job. The sooner Cameron does to Bob Crow and his mate as ASLEF what Thatcher did to Scargill the better.

So you would accept your employer telling you that they were changing your existing working arrangments without asking for something in return then ?

#7 roob_the_doob

roob_the_doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:44 PM

The sooner Cameron does to Bob Crow and his mate as ASLEF what Thatcher did to Scargill the better.

The current strikes are being carried out after legal ballots, the mechanism implented by the Thatcher government precisely to prevent union membership being used as a political tool by the leadership. This isn't Crow and his mates, it is the union membership.

Like it or not, an individual has the right to withdraw labour during a valid industrial dispute without having his/her livelihood threatened. If you want to withdraw that right (which is, in essence, a protection against forced slavery), then that itself needs to be part of a negotiated settlement.

Getting people to work on a holiday is pretty simple really. You just have to offer enough that you get enough takers.

I suspect that this year is a legalistic attempt by TfL management to get around the spirit of whatever agreement is currently in place. Technically, Boxing Day this year is not a bank holiday, because it is on a Sunday. It sounds like TfL are saying "26 Dec is just another Sunday, everyone works as usual. Christmas? Bah humbug!"

(BTW Scargill took the NUM down a blind alley precisely by refusing the give the membership their say. The indications at the time were that, had he give the Nottm miners a vote, they would have voted in favour of a strike. In which case history would have been very different.)

#8 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:27 PM

No hardship as all Christmas plans had assumed that there would be no public transport anyway. The Met line hasn't run beyond Ricky on Boxing Day for as long as I can remember.

Of course most people who complain about this sort of action the most seem to be the ones with cosy 9 till 5 jobs themselves.
PeterC aka Chilternbirder

#9 funkydoodycool

funkydoodycool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 06:32 PM

I find it interesting that no-one has reported the main issue, which is the 6-weeks notice that was given that Amersham would open Boxing Day, as we made the same assumption that Amersham would be closed, as it has been for decades before.

Staff have been expected to drop all plans they had for Christmas and Boxing Days. You can't even enjoy some wine with your Christmas dinner if you're suddenly expected in for an early turn.

#10 Weezer

Weezer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 07:26 PM

I find it interesting that no-one has reported the main issue, which is the 6-weeks notice that was given that Amersham would open Boxing Day, as we made the same assumption that Amersham would be closed, as it has been for decades before.

Staff have been expected to drop all plans they had for Christmas and Boxing Days. You can't even enjoy some wine with your Christmas dinner if you're suddenly expected in for an early turn.

What I don't get is that if there is demand for a service from Amersham to Ricky on Boxing Day for people apparently going to the sales, why is then that LU is closing the line south of Harrow for two days thereafter on 27th/28th for yet more engineering work? Surely the same demand must be there for people to go sales shopping in town on those days as well? :unsure:

#11 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:06 PM

What I don't get is that if there is demand for a service from Amersham to Ricky on Boxing Day for people apparently going to the sales, why is then that LU is closing the line south of Harrow for two days thereafter on 27th/28th for yet more engineering work? Surely the same demand must be there for people to go sales shopping in town on those days as well? :unsure:

but they have the piccadilly line, plus Northolt Park (Chiltern line) and others.
Mel and Co

#12 Weezer

Weezer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 01:21 AM

but they have the piccadilly line, plus Northolt Park (Chiltern line) and others.

Granted Eaton, but I think you missed the intended irony...!

#13 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 06:01 PM

From TFL Site:

ASLEF, along with all Tube unions, signed up to an agreement, which gave all LU staff increased pay and 6.8 weeks of holidays on the understanding that this involved working some public holidays including Boxing day. This has now been torn up by ASLEF.

LU Managing Director, Mike Brown said: "This strike threat is beyond belief. The ASLEF leadership is tearing up long-standing agreements that cover pay and annual leave and demanding even more - triple time and another day off. Londoners will simply be stunned at such a claim

Dont mean to sound un-caring but surely 6 weeks notice is long enough to be notified of something that was already in your contract.Surely this has happened before that TFL staff have had to work on a boxing day due to the day it falls on?Maybe a number of staff didnt realise if its recently been changed in the contract.I just find it annoying that TFL staff go on strike over something they have already signed up to,striking on an vital day for the shops, who already have had a knock on their profits from the snow.It's a shame the goverment cant reduce some of these unions power.

#14 Guest_Dodwicrorrima_*

Guest_Dodwicrorrima_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:22 PM

I forgot to mention that its AM section just works fine. So can it be a blown tube for the FM section?

Thanks a lot for your answers, and Ill surely update the result.

Paul

#15 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:19 PM

I forgot to mention that its AM section just works fine. So can it be a blown tube for the FM section?

Thanks a lot for your answers, and Ill surely update the result.

Paul

:lol: Thts one way of contributing to the thread.Did you by any chance post in the wrong one?

#16 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:19 PM

:lol: Thts one way of contributing to the thread.Did you by any chance post in the wrong one?

Since he's only ever made one post yet is referring to an earlier one , he's even in the wrong forum!
David P

#17 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:53 PM

Ukrainian IP and known spammer.

#18 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:40 PM

All I can say is, congratulations to Matthew in managing to keep these idiots off the forum - this is the first I can remember for a very long time.
The forum I run was getting 40 - 50 registration requests a day from them until I switched the 'register' button off altogether. The only good thing I can say about them is that they always use such obvious user names that it is easy to reject them.
David P

#19 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:10 PM

Two things will catch the vast majority of them...

Run recaptcha and trace the IP.

#20 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:13 AM

Not sure how that one got through, but they have been deleted and IP range banned.

The registration proocess runs recaptcha and people have to answer a physical question too, this has blocked most spammers. I also check IP addresses of those registering. For information, someone has managed to pass all my tests but their IP address is invalid, so they are not approved. I take the view that if they are genuine, they will contact me via the problem link to find out what is going on.
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

Amersham News, Views & Information Facebook Page