New Town Crier Wanted

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:59 PM

The Amersham Town Crier has moved too far away to continue in the role, so the council is looking for a replacement.

"You must have a big voice, be happy to stand in the street in a gown and shout and be a representative of Amersham Town Council. All applicants must love the pomp and heraldry of the position, to apply simply call the council on 01494 586892."

See Examiner article.

#2 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:24 PM

Matthew, am I correct in thinking that the previous Town Crier was your brother? Don't know why I think that but I have a tickling in my brain that I'm right!
Mel and Co

#3 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:24 PM

Matthew, am I correct in thinking that the previous Town Crier was your brother? Don't know why I think that but I have a tickling in my brain that I'm right!

Correct it was my brother. He has moved to South Wales so has had to retire. Not sure he got as many opportunities to be crier has he hoped.
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on Twitter

Amersham News Views & Information is also on Facebook

Don't forget to read the Forum Rules!

#4 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:12 PM

I was wondering if you were going to mention that, Matthew. If you were based full-time in Amersham, would be tempted to follow in your brother's footsteps?

#5 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:26 PM

No, I would not want the "job"!
Matthew P Jones

#6 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:45 AM

No, I would not want the "job"!

Why not?

#7 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:03 AM

Why not?

I expect I could technically do it, but the cost of getting the outfit, insurance etc and in my opinion (based on my knowledge) the hassle of dealing with all the necessary people would not make it worth it. I'm sure someone will love the position, there are many town criers around the country and there is an association you can join and competitions you can enter to "cry" at.
Matthew P Jones

#8 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:08 PM

... the cost of getting the outfit, insurance...

Insurance? What does a town crier need insurance for?

#9 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:54 PM

Public liability insurance. Most places / organisations require performers to have public liability insurance. I suppose it would be possible to give some one / small child a bang on the head while ringing his bell to attract attention if he did not see them, or if the other person did not see him swinging his bell.
Matthew P Jones

#10 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

Although the Examiner titles its piece "Amersham gives up search for a town cryer", the article itself implies otherwise, reiterating the requirements and duties, and giving a contact number to apply. It also highlights several crying opportunities this summer (including the Queen’s diamond jubilee, the Olympic Games and summer festivals) and says how much Chesham's town crier enjoys the role.

See: http://www.buckingha...14018-30693601/.

#11 Tallguy

Tallguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

I've got a big mouth, wonder if I should apply? :-)

#12 Paul Capewell

Paul Capewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:54 PM

Tempting!

#13 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:40 AM

Matthew's brother was the previous town crier, so he might be able to give you some insight into what's involved.

On the other hand, it might be a refreshing change to have a woman (but it won't be me).

#14 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:10 PM

Maybe the role needs to chsnge a bit to attract more interest.Theres 140 town criers officialy registered in England and wales,so thats a tiny % of all the towns in England and Wales.

#15 GoulderN

GoulderN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:24 PM

Hi. I spotted this, and was very interested. I am looking for a new volunteer position, now the Olympics are underway (I performed in the Opening Ceremony and will also be in the Closing). I have a big voice and perform with Amersham Rock Choir, the St Peter Players and a few Impro groups.

I phoned the number supplied. Was told that "Janet" would call me back. She didn't. Phoned back a day or so later, and was met with a very lukewarm response. Apparently the Council is looking to buy a new building and isn't interested in filling the Town Crier position until they have bought it (!). Not really the encouragement I was expecting, for a role they have been trying to fill for two years! She didn't take my name or details, but said I could check on their website to see if they start the recruitment again.

I have to say I am feeling a little deflated!

#16 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:32 PM

What a shame. If they do ever call you back, would you still be interested (I don't suppose there are many places close to home that you can do town crying)?

#17 GoulderN

GoulderN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:16 PM

I would be ... but as Janet didn't take my name or number, there's not a hope in hell's chance of that call coming in. Shame ... with my bredth of performing experience and huge voice, I really think I could have contributed something to the town.

#18 GoulderN

GoulderN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:35 AM

Interesting development.

Lawrence Poole of the Bucks Examiner contacted me about this story. He asked Janet Wheeler at the council why the building purchase prevented them from filling the Town Crier position ... and she told *him* that they weren't looking to fill the position because they didn't possess a costume for the Town Crier. "If someone came forward with their own then we would consider it", she said.

Janet never mentioned the costume issue when I phoned her (just that the council we're buying a building and so couldn't recruit a Town Crier): and if she *had* asked the question, she would have learned that I do, indeed, have access to a costume!

#19 GoulderN

GoulderN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:35 AM

Here's the article from the Bucks Advertiser.

http://www.buckingha...82398-31644725/

#20 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

Janet never mentioned the costume issue when I phoned her (just that the council we're buying a building and so couldn't recruit a Town Crier): and if she *had* asked the question, she would have learned that I do, indeed, have access to a costume!

Let's hope she knows now - assuming you'd still be interested. It's all rather odd though.