G brazil and co

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Carmody OABA

Alan Carmody OABA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Design, Branding, Communications, Marketing, Sailing, Motor Sports, Walking

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:15 PM

Hi

I moved to Ashley Green when I was 1 (50 years ago) and have lived in various local villages and towns ever since. Primary School was at Ashley Green, Secondary school at Cestreham in Chesham and then studied Art and Design at Amersham College so I know the area reasonably well.

I moved my design business to Amersham Old Town about 3 years ago, almost immediately got involved with the Old Amersham Business Association (OABA) and have recent finished a 18 month stint as Chairman, during which time, the parking issue dominated the agenda.

I feel very lucky to work in such a lovely area and I'm interested in helping the community when I can. My position as Chair of OABA was a real eye opener, meeting lots of local politicians, businesses and residents - it was rather all consuming and I have had to take more of a back seat to focus on my own business.

I'll be keeping an eye on the forums and will 'pipe-up' if I see anywhere I can share experience, knowledge or help.

Have fun and hope to bump into you at some point.

Alan Carmody

#2 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,192 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:01 PM

Hi, Alan and welcome to the forum. It sounds as if you know more about the town than I do; I look forward to your posts.

#3 Tjobbe Andrews

Tjobbe Andrews

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:36 PM

Hi everyone, just moved into Old Amersham with my Fiancee, we're starting a business together and really excited about the future in general, just saying hi ;o)

#4 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:57 PM

Please use this thread to introduce yourself to others. There are other threads for previous years.

By having a thread for each year means new people don't have to go through such a huge thread to add their details. We can all look back over previous years to look at who is who

I'll start (although I have also posted in previous years, so other please don't repeat!)

You will see me on the forum as Matthew or MPJ / Admin

I run the web sites www.amersham.org.uk www.ThisIsAmersham.com www.metroland.org.uk

I set up the Amersham site in the mid 1990s to put Amersham on the Internet and since then the site has just grown and provides independent details about Amersham and through this forum a chance to discuss issues.

I run the forum with the help of our moderators - Fran, KevinR, Eaton and PaulEden

I have lived in Amersham on the Hill all my life (apart from spells away at boarding school and university) although now I spend some time in Leeds where my wife has property. Although Amersham can annoy me at times, I cannot think of a better place to live. Amersham has changed much over the past 40 + years, sometimes not for the better.

By profession I am a Chartered Management Accountant and work as a Company Director in London.

My interests include Arsenal (more like a disease actually), music and transport, yes, I have an anorak!
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on Twitter

Amersham News Views & Information is also on Facebook

Don't forget to read the Forum Rules!

#5 Alan Carmody OABA

Alan Carmody OABA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Design, Branding, Communications, Marketing, Sailing, Motor Sports, Walking

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:29 PM

Hi, Alan and welcome to the forum. It sounds as if you know more about the town than I do; I look forward to your posts.

Thanks Fran

I have a way to go to catch you up.

#6 cathindia

cathindia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:08 PM

Hi

My name is Cath and I am in New Delhi, India at the moment (Amersham News and Views draws people from near and far!). I am in the process of moving to Amersham with my 3 children and, eventually my husband (he will be working in India until early December). We have a house and are trying to sort out schools. We have been living overseas for 9 years and our children have little or no experience of living in the UK so this is a whole new adventure for them. We are all really pleased to be coming back. Although we will be new to Amersham (we were living in Kentish Town before we went overseas), we have friends in the general area.

Cath

#7 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,192 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:38 PM

Welcome to the forum, Cath and, in due course, to Amersham.

I hope the move goes smoothly; it must be tricky at such distance and with jobs and schools to sort out, so feel free to ask here for any tips and other information. Even if none of us know, we may be able to point you in the right direction.

#8 cathindia

cathindia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:38 PM

Welcome to the forum, Cath and, in due course, to Amersham.

I hope the move goes smoothly; it must be tricky at such distance and with jobs and schools to sort out, so feel free to ask here for any tips and other information. Even if none of us know, we may be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks Fran. This forum is an excellent starting place for getting information about the area. It is wonderful, that at such a distance, we can access so much information. Thanks to all of you involved in making it work. We will certainly be using it to post questions when they arise. We are looking forward to some time back in the UK now.

#9 ColinZL

ColinZL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Music, Theatre

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:39 AM

Hello! My name is Colin and my wife and I moved to Amersham two years ago. We live halfway between Old Amersham and Amersham On The Hill. We love it here and intend to stay! Hervines Park is amazing and the walks by the river are brilliant! We're enjoying discovering all the little secrets this place holds.

I work as an actor and singer in London's West End.

For some reason, I'm also a Liverpool fan but I'm not from Liverpool. I'm originally from Malta. My wife is from Northwood.

Hope to find some useful information on this forum.

See you around!

Colin

#10 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:45 AM

Hello! My name is Colin and my wife and I moved to Amersham two years ago. We live halfway between Old Amersham and Amersham On The Hill. We love it here and intend to stay! Hervines Park is amazing and the walks by the river are brilliant! We're enjoying discovering all the little secrets this place holds.

I work as an actor and singer in London's West End.

For some reason, I'm also a Liverpool fan but I'm not from Liverpool. I'm originally from Malta. My wife is from Northwood.

Hope to find some useful information on this forum.

See you around!

Colin

Welcome to the forum, hope you will find it useful.

Matthew
Matthew P Jones

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

Amersham News, Views & Information Facebook Page

#11 Amersham&Chesham Lions

Amersham&Chesham Lions

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:The Amersham & Chesham Lions Club concentrates on improving the quality of life in and around Amersham and Chesham whilst also helping worldwide disaster relief. All money collected goes directly to charity.

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:01 AM

The Amersham & Chesham Lions Club concentrates on improving the quality of life in and around Amersham and Chesham (Buckinghamshire UK) whilst also helping to provide immediate and sustained relief in times of disaster aross the world. To do this, members raise money to make donations for worthy causes, and also to set up, run or support valuable projects. All money collected goes directly to charity.

Since the Amersham & Chesham Lions Club was formed in 1969, more than 300,000 has been raised and donated.

This money has been given to diverse schemes, including:

- Setting up and helping to run te Talking Newspaper for visually impaired residents
- Helping to form and continuing to support the South Bucks Hiospice
- The Datalink/"Message in a Bottle" schee, which provides vital information to emergency services staff when attending local medical call-outs
- MedicAlert scheme for people with certain conditions and allergies
- Bank Form Riding for the Disabled
- Financing children who would not otherwise be able to go on school trips
- Local youth clubs
- Chesham senior citizens' Christmas Day lunch.

The club also contributes to international emergency and ongoing relief programmes. These range from drinking water provision projects and eye camps providing cataract surgery on a massive scale, to natural disaster responses.

Amersham & Chesham Lions Club
For more information: website www.ACLions.org.uk, email ACLions@hotmail.co.uk, find us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.

#12 grumpy old man

grumpy old man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:33 PM

Dear all,

Moved to Amersham 6 years ago and only just discovered this site, so thought I would join in.

The motivation for it was to store up some good Kharma by offering some free stuff, so I'll start with the 'for sale' bit.

Many thanks,

#13 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:18 PM

Welcome grumpy. :)

#14 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,192 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:34 AM

The motivation for it was to store up some good Kharma by offering some free stuff, so I'll start with the 'for sale' bit.

That sounds positively un-grumpy. ;)
Welcome to the forum.

#15 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:19 PM

Huh, I thought I was the resident grumpy old man. :)
David P

#16 RichardB

RichardB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:01 AM

Hello

My family and I have just moved to Amersham, or Chesham Bois to be more precise

I dare say I'll be taking from the forum rather than adding to it for a while, but I will try to be more helpful once I have learned the ropes...

#17 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:19 PM

Welcome Richard. The vast majority of users take more than they add, but that's the nature of the beast, so don't worry about it. Of course, we'd love everyone to contribute.

#18 elli

elli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:42 PM

ello!!!

Live and work in amersham, beautiful place!!! :)

#19 Gavin G

Gavin G

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:19 AM

Hello there!

I have just moved to Amersham this weekend, Stanley Hill I believe we are classed as.

My girlfriend & I have moved from Chiswick with our 3 week old new baby son. We are looking to meet other young professional couples/families in the area so please let us know any tips you have for getting out & about & meeting people.

We are both 29, I am a software consultant & part time photographer. We enjoy music/gigs, good food/restaurants, movies & wine ;) we also enjoy the gym & spending time outdoors.

Hope to meet some of you guys in the near future

Gav, Mo & Baby Felix

#20 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,192 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:55 AM

Welcome to Amersham and the forum and congratulations on the new baby (Felix is a lovely name, btw).

There are plenty of good eateries in the area, some of them in the countryside, so you could combine them with being outdoors (look at the Eating and Sleeping Places section). To meet other young families, a playgroup would be good in a little while, but till then, it might be worth asking your health visitor if there are any postnatal groups in the area, e.g. NCT (you don't have to be a member).

#21 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:48 PM

. . . please let us know any tips you have for getting out & about & meeting people. . .
I am a software consultant & part time photographer.

Then clearly you should join Amersham Photographic Society - every Monday evening in the Drake Hall at the Community Centre.;)

You are very welcome to come along for a couple of taster sessions before you join. More info at http://www.amershamphotosoc.com/
David P

#22 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:36 PM

A couple of times a year, some of us meet up for a little drinky. Always good fun.

We should organise another soon.

#23 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:41 PM

We should organise another soon.

Perhaps before we are under the obligatory foot of snow this year!
Mel and Co

#24 Bawbag

Bawbag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:52 PM

We enjoy music/gigs, good food/restaurants, movies & wine ;) we also enjoy the gym & spending time outdoors.

With a six week old you may have to revise that list to 'takeaways, wine & DVDs'!

Welcome from another relatively recent arrival in Amersham :)

#25 Gavin G

Gavin G

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:12 AM

With a six week old you may have to revise that list to 'takeaways, wine & DVDs'!

Welcome from another relatively recent arrival in Amersham :)

Yep as you can see I've not quite realised that life as I knew it is well & truly over! :rolleyes: but yes I am also a fan of takeaways & DVDs!

Thanks for the welcome peeps, please keep me posted on any drinks etc

Gavin

#26 coppertop

coppertop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:walking dogs, reiki, aromatherapy and reflexology massage

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

Hi my name is rosie and Ive lived in amersham for about 7 years now. I have three children at the local schools.
I am a dog walker, a Reiki healer and also a registered nurse working in Harefield.
If anyone wants to know more about what i do please message me and i'll see what I can do.
Lovely to finally connect on here.

#27 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,192 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

Hi Rosie, and welcome to the forum. There are at least two other people here who work with dogs and other animals (though not me).

#28 hardy

hardy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

Hello.

I have posted before, on a different user name, I have changed my e-mail address, hence, I'm back again, quick background info, born in Chesham 1948, resident of Bledlow childrens home, adopted and schooled in Aylesbury, I've now lived in Northumberland for nearly 40 years, I worked for G Brazils as a van salesmen late 1960's, a wonderful time, would like to know if there are any Brazil salesmen still around.

Kind Regards

Hardy

#29 Laura Young

Laura Young

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

Hi Everyone,

My name is Laura and myself and my boyfriend moved to Amersham recently we are just finding our feet now! We have moved from Leeds as I got a new job down here. It is a lot quieter than Leeds life but it is such a beautiful place. I am 23 and my boyfriend is 30 and we are sociable people .... I am enjoying exploring the old Amersham pubs at the moment but definately need to develop our social ratings!! :-)

I am looking forward to seeing updates on here to learn more about the area
Laura

#30 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:00 PM

Welcome. I have partly done the opposite. My wife is from Leeds and we have property there and go there every other weekend. I love the difference between Amersham and Leeds and may well end up there!

Matthew P Jones

Follow Amershan News & Views on Twitter

Amersham News Views & Information is also on Facebook

Don't forget to read the Forum Rules!