• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

#31 Etna

Etna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:05 AM

Man's is not there anymore, they move to the Old Town. There is a Thai restaurant there now

Wow! After so many years in Sycamore Road. Well I'll have to toss up on going down to Man's (is the food & service still worth it?) or trying a Tom Yum at the Thai!!
Life is full of difficult decisions :lol:

#32 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:46 PM

Wow! After so many years in Sycamore Road. Well I'll have to toss up on going down to Man's (is the food & service still worth it?) or trying a Tom Yum at the Thai!!

We haven't been to Man's for a year or so, but we like it - especially the fact they do a selection of steamed dim sum. However, the Blue Orchid at their old site in Sycamore Road is nice too - as long as you're not very short (many of the tables are very high indeed).

#33 Etna

Etna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:02 PM

We haven't been to Man's for a year or so, but we like it - especially the fact they do a selection of steamed dim sum. However, the Blue Orchid at their old site in Sycamore Road is nice too - as long as you're not very short (many of the tables are very high indeed).

Thanks for the tip, looks like Man's then as I'll have 2 fussy Italians with me :P!!!

#34 Elios John Dandrea-Harris

Elios John Dandrea-Harris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:33 PM

Hello Amersham forum members.

My name's Elios and have recently (5th June) moved into Amersham with my girlfriend Sarah. I'm really loving Amersham so far and am looking forward to getting involved in local affairs and events. I won't say much on my girlfriends behalf as she will be putting up a post introducing herself as well soon.

I've moved over from East London to Amersham for a number of reasons:
Live with girlfriend again.
Convenient travel to our respective work places (On the tube - just).
Town - not too big or small, with the right number of stores (M&S!)
Nice area and people.
Quick access to the countryside.

By trade I'm an IT techie and work in The City and Sidcup, Kent for an insurance company. I love my job an am thinking of several things i might be able to do to help out and use my skills for the local community.

My hobbies include: Gaming (World of warcraft - i'll be putting up a seperate post about this later), reading fantasy/sci-fi, cinema, kite flying, fishing and basketball.

We live in Amersham on the hill and if you see a big oriental bloke with a goatee wondering around town with white glasses that's me. Please do come over and say hello.

Regards

Elios

#35 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:31 PM

Welcome Elios. There are plenty of IT bods around here (including me, to some extent) and plenty of hills (though if you want to fly a kite, you'll have to find ones without trees), so I hope you are both very happy here.

#36 Elios John Dandrea-Harris

Elios John Dandrea-Harris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:20 PM

Welcome Elios. There are plenty of IT bods around here (including me, to some extent) and plenty of hills (though if you want to fly a kite, you'll have to find ones without trees), so I hope you are both very happy here.

Thank you Fran. I am loving it so far living in Amersham. Have been hitting the car boot sales and charity shops for items and filling up the flat nicely.

#37 H4FSA

H4FSA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Cars
    Property
    Food
    Pubs and Bars
    Politics

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:03 PM

Hi Everyone,

Am hoping to move to Old Amersham from London very soon! I come to Amersham very often to see friends and have decided to leave the rat race behind and to move to a more peaceful, friendly place. I have found a house to buy, but just waiting for my place to sell. Fingers crossed it's going to happen soon.

I love the fact that such a forum exists as it has really given me an insight into Amersham life and allows people to get to know each other.

I would be grateful for one piece of advice from any of you who are local to Old Amersham. Does the Elephant and Castle and The Eagle get very rowdy on the weekends? A couple of houses I have really liked are either opposite to the above mentioned pubs or a few doors down. Should I worry?

Any feedback would be most appreciated!

Thanks.

Freddie

#38 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:11 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum. I've answered your question about the pubs in your other post.
Mel and Co

#39 H4FSA

H4FSA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Cars
    Property
    Food
    Pubs and Bars
    Politics

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:16 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum. I've answered your question about the pubs in your other post.

Thank you so much! Really looking forward to becoming part of this wonderful life that you all already enjoy in Amersham.

Freddie

#40 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:02 AM

Please use this thread to introduce yourself to others.

I'll start.

Well, I have been told off by my wife for not updating my details, so I had better do that now.

Firstly, welcome again to everyone, hope you enjoy using this site and find it useful.

You will see me on the forum as Matthew MPJ/Admin and Admin/MPJ (I have two accounts, just in case I muck things up I can always get back in to fix it - hopefully!)

I run the web sites www.amersham.org.uk www.ThisIsAmersham.com www.metroland.org.uk

I set up the Amersham site in the mid 1990s to put Amersham on the Internet and since then the site has just grown and provides independent details about Amersham and through this forum a chance to discuss issues and provide information.

I was born and have lived in Amersham on the Hill most of my life. I have had spells away at boarding school (in Coventry!) and university. In February 2009 I married Michelle (Poppet on the forum) and we now split our time between Amersham and Leeds. Although Amersham can annoy me at times, I cannot think of a better place to live for my needs down south. However, my change in circumstances has given me experience of living up north, which I also enjoy. It is a different way of life and an interesting contrast to Amersham. It would be interesting to hear from Poppet what she thinks of Amersham after spending time here now.

Amersham has changed much over the past 40 + years, sometimes not for the better.

By profession I am a Chartered Management Accountant and work as a Company Director in London.

My interests include Arsenal (more like a disease actually), music and transport, yes, I have an anorak, although Michelle does not let me war it out much these days!

Matthew

Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

Amersham News, Views & Information Facebook Page

#41 Cod Head

Cod Head

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:13 PM

Hello to all at Amersham News and Views

We (husband, 2 young kids and myself) are looking into the prospect of moving to your neck of the woods in the not too distant future.
Currently living in South Manchester (but we have lived all over the place in Herts, Essex, Cheshire,..) but a change in job has meant a prospective change in our home location too.

What a relief to find such a great source of information as this site - as we are on the look out for all the usual things...house (rent and buy), schools (primary), pub, things for kids to do (sporty stuff)..... so will probably be posting over the next few months to ask your opinions and advice.

Speak to you soon!
The Nixons

#42 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:57 PM

Welcome Cod Head/Nixons and ask away; we'll do our best to help...

#43 Jeannie686

Jeannie686

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 07:38 PM

Hi Everyone! :)

Well, I'm Jeannie, and my fiance and I will be moving to Chesham in December/January. We live in SE London at the moment and have been waiting for the right time to leave London for a while, but we just hadn't found the right place to move to..... until now!

We both work in Central London; my fiance works in Retail Management and I am an Academic Library Assistant at the University of London. My family is from London and his is from Birmingham, and we wanted a place where we felt there was a real sense of community, where we felt safe, and where we felt we could stay for a very long time. Who knows, we may even raise a family here after we are married in May!

I am really looking forward to our move, and to getting to know you all on the forums!

Posted Image

#44 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 08:37 PM

Hello Jeannie and welcome to the area. I hope you and your fiancÚ are very happy here. If you're going to be commuting into London, you should find the Local Transport > Rail & Tube section of the forum useful. It's a pretty good service during the week, but there are plenty of weekend closures for infrastructure upgrades, so check before travelling.

#45 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:24 PM

Good to have another Brummie on board.
David P

#46 wittonend

wittonend

Advanced Member