• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

#1 Emma James

Emma James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Sport, my children, art, music, networking, reading, walking, camping, dining out, nice wines, good company, debates

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:28 PM

I'm signed in on the forum under my name Emma James. I've lived in Little Chalfont since 1992 when I moved here with my former husband and our two small children; two year old Alice Edwards and a newborn, Arthur Edwards. We moved here from Stepney although I'm a Shropshire lass having spent my formative years in Shropshire. Buckinghamshire was selected principally for the education and amenities but also because my husband knew the area well from his youth - he went to RGS High Wycombe. When my son was a pre schooler I started training as a massage therapist and set up my practice in 1996. Life moves apace. I'm now qualified in 7 therapies and work full time around the demands of bringing up my children as a single parent (these past 7 years). At the moment we have 2 sporting Australians living with us as well, one of whom was near fatally stabbed at a family house party in Rickmansworth on NYE so it's not been the best start to 2009! In my "free" time ;) I'm an active networker which not only provides the backbone of my social life but also means I can legitimately go out on my own as a single woman without being looked at askance but most of the time I'm back at base, working or feeding my troops. The internet is my refuge and portal to the outside world. It keeps me connected and up-to-date with local, national and international issues, plus I learn daily through my forays on the web. An active blogger when time and the inclination permits, you can learn more about me here on Ecademy; http://www.ecademy.c...nt.php?id=71240 on UK Business Labs; http://www.ukbusines...emma-james.html and I've found Local Mouth useful as a portal for blogging topics of local interest Local Mouth; http://www.localmouth.com/go/amersham with Twitter as the backbone; http://twitter.com/home I look forward to interacting on the forum boards and getting to know more people in the local area through this Forum.

#2 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,204 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:37 PM

Hi Emma. You sound wonderfully busy in both the "real" and virtual worlds. I've looked at ecademy, but joined LinkedIn instead for professional purposes and Facebook for social. Goodreads is the only other interactive site I use - other than this one.

If you're free for an hour or two on Sunday evening, you could meet some of us in the pub: Forum meet thread.

#3 Emma James

Emma James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Sport, my children, art, music, networking, reading, walking, camping, dining out, nice wines, good company, debates

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:54 PM

Thanks for this Fran. I must check Goodreads out too.

I'm aiming to join you all, possibly with a friend Barbara Kerin who I saw on the footie touchlines today (we lost but played well).

Just about to bob the relevant url over to her so she can sign up too.

update - I'm a coward in the snow and avoid driving in it at all costs so sadly won't be joining you all. I'll check the forum boards to see if it's rescheduled

#4 spangle

spangle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:49 PM

Hi everyone! I'm also a "lurker"...have been for a while, but thought I would actually join in now!

My name is Anna, I'm 26 years old. I currently live in 'saarf landan'- something that we are hoping will change asap! I lived with my family in Amersham for my entire life until 2 years ago when I moved to where I am now so I could be with my partner...awww ;)

We want to move back; partly because I do eventually want children, and would rather not bring them up around here (even though it would be an education) and also so that we can be closer to family and friends, as we still have many in the area whom we come to visit often, but stil don't see enough of.

I use this forum to keep up with all of the little bits of gossip and the goings on in the area while I'm not there- it has also helped me understand in the past some of what my Mum has been on about in our phone calls :lol:

Speak to you all soon, I hope,

Anna

#5 Rayhoop

Rayhoop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:cars + track days, scuba, nature,

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:11 PM

Hi All!
Im another lurker who has been browsing the pages for about 6 months! Thought its about time I signed up! Rayhoop is not my real name - just a comedy nick name my uni mates created for me.

My wife and I recently bought a house in Amersham, which is currently being renovated by our builders :0) Hopefully it will make a lovely and happy home for us.

I've lived in Hayes (Midx) since '85, and have seen it change from being pleasent, to not so nice.

Wife is from Letchworth (Herts) - has lived there all her life... until she married me 2 years ago! Poor lass lol.

We were attracted to Amersham by the environment - balance of town and country, the people - quite pleasent (so far :0)), schools and crime stats etc. Plus with my wife working in Central, the Met line works out well, and Im a boring IT contractor, so I need commuter links like the motorway network and Met line - so the location of Amersham is ideal. It also falls roughly half way between both sets of parents :0)

We cant wait to move in and start exploring the town a little more, and getting involved locally :0)

Anyway - enough of the intro! See you around on the forum!

#6 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:18 PM

Hi All!
Im another lurker who has been browsing the pages for about 6 months! Thought its about time I signed up! Rayhoop is not my real name - just a comedy nick name my uni mates created for me.

My wife and I recently bought a house in Amersham, which is currently being renovated by our builders :0) Hopefully it will make a lovely and happy home for us.

I've lived in Hayes (Midx) since '85, and have seen it change from being pleasent, to not so nice.

Wife is from Letchworth (Herts) - has lived there all her life... until she married me 2 years ago! Poor lass lol.

We were attracted to Amersham by the environment - balance of town and country, the people - quite pleasent (so far :0)), schools and crime stats etc. Plus with my wife working in Central, the Met line works out well, and Im a boring IT contractor, so I need commuter links like the motorway network and Met line - so the location of Amersham is ideal. It also falls roughly half way between both sets of parents :0)

We cant wait to move in and start exploring the town a little more, and getting involved locally :0)

Welcome Rayhoop!
Perhaps we could start a "My further education nickname is" thread and see how long we can keep it presentable? :)

#7 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Interests:Family, Computers, the country side, the good life, pest control (Old Bill Pest Control) & anything diffrent

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:07 PM

Hi All!

Rayhoop
You've made a wise choice moving here from Hayes, however as London goes it's not that bad, but here makes it look bad. Hope you enjoy your future here.

#8 Rayhoop

Rayhoop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:46 PM

Rayhoop
You've made a wise choice moving here from Hayes, however as London goes it's not that bad, but here makes it look bad. Hope you enjoy your future here.

Hi peeps!
yup the nickname thread would be interesting! Ive got several... most of them innocent... a couple 'not so' lol.

Yeh - Hayes... "when I was a lad" I used to walk to primary school and back on my own - no problems. But I just dont think thats possible there anymore. Its probably not possible in most towns actually.

Hayes has got pretty bad in the past few years. Crime is through the roof, break-ins, stabbings, drug problems etc. Ive managed to avoid any major headache, but there have been some 'iffy' moments. Im getting tired of having to look over my shoulder all the time, life should be easier. Thankfully my parents house is in a quiet cul-de-sac, so we have escaped some of the dramas that my friends on the main roads have had.

I really do look forward to living in Amersham :0)

#9 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:56 PM

This is being written from work on the Hayes/Southall border. Salubrious, it aint!

#10 Rayhoop

Rayhoop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:58 PM

This is being written from work on the Hayes/Southall border. Salubrious, it aint!

Hmm.
Thankfully I dont have to spend too much time out n about in Hayes. Im currently working in Langstone (near enough Portsmouth).. the drive is a bit long at times (but Im fairly used to it), but the main thing being, Im just grateful to be in work!

For about 5 years I worked for BAA IT, which was round the corner from home. That was fab... but since then (2003), I havent worked within an hours commute from home :0s
Sods law - Stockley Park is currently on my doorstep... but Ive never worked there... I bet I'll end up finding something there once I move out of the area lol.

#11 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Interests:Family, Computers, the country side, the good life, pest control (Old Bill Pest Control) & anything diffrent

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:01 PM

Hmm.
Thankfully I dont have to spend too much time out n about in Hayes. Im currently working in Langstone (near enough Portsmouth).. the drive is a bit long at times (but Im fairly used to it), but the main thing being, Im just grateful to be in work!

For about 5 years I worked for BAA IT, which was round the corner from home. That was fab... but since then (2003), I havent worked within an hours commute from home :0s
Sods law - Stockley Park is currently on my doorstep... but Ive never worked there... I bet I'll end up finding something there once I move out of the area lol.

Stockley Park isn't too bad depending on what time of day you travel, I work in Uxbridge, and some of the back doubles from there are quiet quick.

#12 TriciafromUS

TriciafromUS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:04 PM

Hi, I am Tricia from a small town (Cedarburg (10,000 people),Wisconsin) in the United States. We live in a suburb of Milwaukee (750,000 people) and just 90 minutes North of Chicago.

My husband is being considered for a new position within his company located in Little Chalfont, which I am pretty sure is nearby. I had tried posting info and questions on the Little Cahlfont message board and someone from that site graciously informed me of this more active site.

We are very excited about the possibility of living in this area. We are a family of myself and my husband and three children-our son is 12, and two daughters 9 and 5 years old. We also have 2 goldendoodles (english retriever and standard poodle mix) and a cat.

Because there is so much to consider, I have been researching the area just in case-because if it does happen, things will move fast. If anyone has any feedback on the area for families, and then in our case families that are not even from the country that would be great to hear.

From the pictures I have looked at, the travel books, the videos and the websites, it seems to me that living either in Little Chalfont or what I perceive to be the city/town of Amersham would be really nice for families.

If we move, we would really like to join in with the community, I would very much like our children to attend public schools hopefully with neighborhood children as they do here. From my understanding, you have neighborhood schools, but just because you live in that neighborhood may not guarantee you a spot? I will post some questions on the schools site to try and learn more about the system as there seem to be many different names for what I perceive to be schools for the same age children.

As I fear that our son will have the most difficult time with the change, I have been searching for websites that will help me to understand the local system for young kids to play soccer(football) competitively. We call it select soccer here in the states. You do pay quite a lot of money each year for these teams with trained coaches. The kids try out for teams in the spring each year and then play an outdoor season of 8 weeks in the Fall-August to November, then they play indoor soccer and futsal in the winter and then there is a spring season from April to June. I realize this sport is the national pasttime which is awesome because we are not big American Football fans, but love soccer. I just want to make sure we can find him a team and then hopefully friends that also play and are his age.

I will be open to any and all feedback that people may have for me as I very much like to do research.

I am hopeful that we will have this opportunity and appreciate any words of wisdom from people in the community.

#13 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:23 PM

I know there used to be a club for families from the states in Gerrards Cross which is ten minutes away, whether this is still active or not I don't know.

#14 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:36 PM

Hi Tricia, welcome to the forum.
I think you'll find the locals very accomodating. We're used to having Americans living amongst us, there's a number of service families in the area.
Can I suggest you ask for specific advice in another part of the forum as this bit is really just for people to drop in say hi.
Paul

#15 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,204 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:46 PM

Hi Trisha. I hope that if the job is all he hopes, that your husband gets it and that you will all be happy in the area.

Regarding schools, the state ("public" in American English, but that adjective actually means something rather different over here) are generally very good. The big difference in this area, both compared with the US and most of England, is that secondary/senior (high?) school education is split into two tiers, according to how children do in a multiple choice verbal reasoning test that they sit when they are aged 10+ for admission aged 11+: grammar schools (some of which have High School in their name) for those who qualify and upper schools for the others. Are you confused yet? Children who move into the area after that time can still be assessed, but of course there are generally fewer places in the most popular schools, whether grammar or upper.

You can take a look at the schools and education section of this forum, and also at Bucks CC education, where you can get detailed information about admissions for both primary (children 11 and under) and secondary. Whether or not you think your older son would be suitable for a grammar school, I suggest you also look at http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/, especially the Bucks section of their forum. You can also buy practice papers if you want to see what the tests consist of (the IPS ones are relevant to Bucks).

Ask questions there and here and hopefully it will make things easier for you.

Good luck!

#16 uncle bernie

uncle bernie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:53 AM

Hi I'm Uncle Bernie,

I will appear very vague about my upbringing in the Amersham area, but I think you will understand why, I was born in 1948, in a house near the Black Cat Pub (Lye Green I think!!!). The same year, I was in the Pipers Wood Camp, I still have my National Registration Identity card, we lived in huts 99 and 103.
From there I ended up at the Bledlow childrens home, and fostered out at the age of five to an Aylesbury based couple, my schools were, Sealy Rd Infants, St Mary's primary and Quarrendon County Secondary, there was one other in Aylesbury,but I cannot recall it's name, I left school and worked for three years at Alexander Engineering, Haddenham and five years as a van saleman at G Brazil and co Amersham.

I now live in the North East of England, and have had a very successful career in the brewing industry.
I still visit freinds and family in and around the High Wycombe area.

My name has been changed by deed poll, I cannot recall my parents, although I am aware of the existence of some siblings.

I would like to know more about Pipers wood, and would welcome any background info /basically anything.

Kind Regards

Uncle Bernie

#17 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:44 AM

I would like to know more about Pipers wood, and would welcome any background info /basically anything.

Kind Regards

Uncle Bernie

Hello and welcome. A Dave James has provided much of the information on the page at

www.amersham.org.uk/camps/

His web site is at members.iinet.net.au/~dcjames/life2.html

He may be able to help out with some information
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

Amersham News, Views & Information Facebook Page

#18 uncle bernie

uncle bernie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:12 PM

Hello and welcome. A Dave James has provided much of the information on the page at

www.amersham.org.uk/camps/

His web site is at members.iinet.net.au/~dcjames/life2.html

He may be able to help out with some information

Mathew,

Thanks for the advice, just a thought, anybody out there worked for the G Brazils sausage manufacterers sales force, during the 60's

#19 Emma C

Emma C

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:10 PM

Hi Everyone!

My name is Emma and I lived in Amersham from the early seventies until 1987 when I moved to Suffolk.

I lived in Batchelors Way with my sister and parents and I absolutely love this site! Looking at the photos brings back lots of memories and there are a lot of new developments I don't recognize but I guess time has moved on since I lived there! :D

My Mum and sister used to love Marie Francois and I worked there for a short while as well as being a 'sales assistant' at Boots. It was my first job at 16 and I was proud of the fact I was successful at my first ever interview! :lol:

My Dad also used to 'disappear' on a Saturday afternoon and in the days before mobiles we knew how to contact him as he'd always be browsing around Brownings! You don't get shops like that anymore that's for sure!

My sister and I attended 'Our Lady's' school and later went to 'St Joan of Ark' in Rickmansworth.

We also used to love walking down to 'Old' Amersham and going to 'Scoops' in the high street. My sister worked there for a time before moving to Suffolk a year or so later than my parents and I did.

Hope I haven't bored you too much, lol and I'm going to look round the rest of this wonderful site now. :)

#20 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:55 PM

he'd always be browsing around Brownings! You don't get shops like that anymore that's for sure!

Two new 'emigrants' in one day. You are both very welcome.

It's not quite true that you don't get shops like Browning's any more. We still have Carrol'ls, which is like a mini-Brownings - an incredible range of stock packed in a small shop. And Chesham still has Pearce's, which is just like Browning's, perhaps just a touch smarter. It's the sort of shop where you can go in and ask for just one left-handed 1/4" brass widget and they will get it out of a box and charge you 5p for it.
David P

#21 Emma C

Emma C

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:21 PM

Two new 'emigrants' in one day. You are both very welcome.

It's not quite true that you don't get shops like Browning's any more. We still have Carrol'ls, which is like a mini-Brownings - an incredible range of stock packed in a small shop. And Chesham still has Pearce's, which is just like Browning's, perhaps just a touch smarter. It's the sort of shop where you can go in and ask for just one left-handed 1/4" brass widget and they will get it out of a box and charge you 5p for it.

Hi David,

I don't remember Carroll's but I do Pearce's. I guess I'm comparing the lovely old fashioned shops where like you say, you can buy 'one' of whatever you need to the 'focus's' and 'homebases's' nowadays where you can't, lol.

I also remember the big 'Bowyers' that is a Tesco now, I believe.

#22 uncle bernie

uncle bernie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:01 AM

Hi David,

I don't remember Carroll's but I do Pearce's. I guess I'm comparing the lovely old fashioned shops where like you say, you can buy 'one' of whatever you need to the 'focus's' and 'homebases's' nowadays where you can't, lol.

I also remember the big 'Bowyers' that is a Tesco now, I believe.

The big"Bowyers" I think that was the old Brazil's site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#23 struthie

struthie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:08 PM

The big"Bowyers" I think that was the old Brazil's site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes it was,now Tesco's.
My Dad used to work for brazils driving the lorry's.

#24 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:18 PM

Yes it was,now Tesco's.
My Dad used to work for brazils driving the lorry's.

Brazils and Bowyers were a major employer in Amersham for quite some time, yet I cannot find any pictures for this site! If anyone has any pictues or memories they can share, please let me know.

Also mention of Scoops in the Old Town, a very popular shop in it day, I wonder why it closed?
Matthew P Jones

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

#25 uncle bernie

uncle bernie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:55 AM

Brazils and Bowyers were a major employer in Amersham for quite some time, yet I cannot find any pictures for this site! If anyone has any pictues or memories they can share, please let me know.

Also mention of Scoops in the Old Town, a very popular shop in it day, I wonder why it closed?

I can remember two members of the G brazil's sales force, and would you believe it they were both called John Phudephat (I think this was how you spelt their names).However, I don't think they were related.

#26 Etna

Etna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:14 AM

As a short-term visitor to the area over a period of 30 years, even I remember Brownings and Scoops. Shops like Carroll's must be difficult to find these days. Pearce's was even better in the 'Old Days' until they sold to the present people, but until 2003 (my last visit) it was still a good shop.

I used to go every week, when over, to have a super massage at Marie Francoise!! Was sadly missed when they closed. There was also Ruth Ingrid for many years. Mister Minit was good in it's heyday too - got lots of funny little things there and my son adored it!

Oh for the good old days!

#27 uncle bernie

uncle bernie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:08 AM

I worked at the Bowyers factory for a wonderful 6 years! I stank when i got home of an evening because i worked in the egg shelling department, and sometimes if i smell a boiled egg even today i still feel sick! Having said that, the money was good and i only had to walk a couple of minutes to get there so it could have been worse. I can tell you that the smell from the Tesco bakery when its cooking Hot Cross Buns far out does the stench of a Bowyers steak and kidney pud any day. I like Adrian can do the tour of the old town blind fold but can honestly say that no matter where i go i still think that if you sit at the top of Barn Meadow and look towards the bottom you will have to go a long way to find such a beautiful sight that in my opinion dipicts rural England....

I worked for Brazil's in the mid 60's as a van salesman, it was the best time of my working life, I can still remember the sale force, every one of them was a delight to work with, I particularly remember Alan Howe ( he is the landlord of the Red Lion in Little Missenden) he was a fantastic guy. To earn extra money I also did some night work in the factory, helping to make scotch eggs, they tasted wonderful just after they had been cooked, I now live in the North East, but still visit friends and family in the HighWycombe/Haddenhan area.

#28 Etna

Etna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:46 AM

Just last night we were discussing whether to re-visit the area since in August we'll be staying near Oxford in a cottage rental. First visit since 2003 with no family home and no parents - a strange and sad feeling indeed.

Both my son and I agreed that emotions are still too raw to visit my parents old home in Chesham Bois. Too many happy times and too many happy memories; shall be visiting Sycamore Road (bank business there!) and a meal at Man's Chinese almost next door, but that's the limit. It will be a day tinged with sadness for me even after six years absence.

#29 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:09 AM

shall be visiting Sycamore Road (bank business there!) and a meal at Man's Chinese almost next door

Man's is not there anymore, they move to the Old Town. There is a Thai restaurant there now
Matthew P Jones

#30 CtVoice

CtVoice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:12 PM

I worked for Brazil's in the mid 60's as a van salesman, it was the best time of my working life, I can still remember the sale force, every one of them was a delight to work with, I particularly remember Alan Howe ( he is the landlord of the Red Lion in Little Missenden) he was a fantastic guy. To earn extra money I also did some night work in the factory, helping to make scotch eggs, they tasted wonderful just after they had been cooked, I now live in the North East, but still visit friends and family in the HighWycombe/Haddenhan area.

I worked at Brazil's as a student during the summer holidays of 1962 - in the slaughterhouse! Of course they weren't going to allow a kid to cut the poor old porkers throats - I worked in a 'mincer room' helping this guy called Ken who used to have his transistor radio on all day. We had a huge 'blender' machine there and our job was to mince up stuff which then went into the sausages. Now - if you are a sausage lover don't read any more. The suff we put through the mincer was 'rind' (the pig's skin) and pigs ears - singed of hair and washed of course. Presumably this formed only a part of the final sausage filling. We used to go into the baking room and just take pork pies off the conveyor belt. I quite enjoyed the two months or so I worked there and of course the money, about 10 pw, was very handy. I was able to go out and buy myself a pair of winkle-picker shoes - my mum refused to buy me a pair!