#1 bigfishjeff

bigfishjeff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:02 PM

Hello All,

6' 8" and like fishing hence the name.

Challoners old boy lived in Amersham for 25 years and not going anywhere else fast.

3 children at St Mary's.

Lurking here for years never had anything to add until I thought that I had scoped the High Speed Rail Link - and now see I haven't.

Must say that if that is not news - what is??

Why elect to bury it in a sub forum that you have to hunt for??

Yes it is national transport - but not for anyone in Amersham.

Anyway sorry to moan about moderation in an introductiry post

Jeff

#2 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:09 PM

Hello All,

6' 8" and like fishing hence the name.

Challoners old boy lived in Amersham for 25 years and not going anywhere else fast.

3 children at St Mary's.

Lurking here for years never had anything to add until I thought that I had scoped the High Speed Rail Link - and now see I haven't.

Why elect to bury it in a sub forum that you have to hunt for??

Yes it is national transport - but not for anyone in Amersham.

Anyway sorry to moan about moderation in an introductiry post

Jeff

You wouldn't by any chance be 47 to 48 and lived as a teenager at the top of Station Road ?

#3 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:10 PM

Hello All,...Lurking here for years

Hello, Jeff and welcome to the forum.

never had anything to add until I thought that I had scoped the High Speed Rail Link - and now see I haven't.

It’s a long term story that was already being discussed elsewhere on the forum. Doubling up would lead to disjointed discussion and confusion. Hopefully by ending the duplicate topic with a link to the existing topic, it's easy for people to find. Anyone coming to the forum wanting to know about trains is probably more likely to look in Transport than News, but it's not a perfect system (there will always be some topics that have more than one potential home), but we do our best.

#4 bigfishjeff

bigfishjeff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:26 PM

Nope - sorry lived in Hollybush Lane with parents and am 7 years younger

jeff

Understood - not having a dig just wanting to point out that it is not the easiest topic to find.

Moderating forums is not something I would wish to undertake - a thankless task - thank you for the welcome

Jeff

#5 timo_w2s

timo_w2s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:16 PM

Thought I better say hello, I've been lurking for many years but decided to sign up today at long last. I don't actually live in Amersham but I do visit the town quite a bit. I hope this is OK. ;)

#6 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:47 PM

Hi Timo. It's OK; no proof of residency is required ;) and the views of visitors make a good contrast with the views of those of us who live in the area.

#7 sonia

sonia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:24 PM

Hello

My name is Sonia and we moved to Little Chalfont around 3 years ago from London. I live with my husband and little boy who is now 15 months. We love the area and I have to say has been great with the little one with space and friendly people! I did browse the site a while ago but have just rediscovered it, not realising how active it is. I run my own business, providing bespoke diamond jewellery and my husband works in marketing.

#8 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:11 PM

Hi Sonia, and welcome to the forum.

#9 James

James

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:01 AM

Hi everyone I am James,

I have lived in Chesham for six years. I love the town (especially the countryside around it....!) and am interested in getting involved with your forum. So greetings..!

#10 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:57 AM

Hi everyone I am James,

I have lived in Chesham for six years. I love the town (especially the countryside around it....!) and am interested in getting involved with your forum. So greetings..!

Welcome James. Hope you join in the debates
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

Amersham News, Views & Information Facebook Page

#11 Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:39 AM

Hello there,

My name's Duncan and I've been looking for an Amersham forum for a while, so I'm pleased to have finally found you all.

I live in Amersham on the Hill near Chestnut Lane with my wife and (3) children. During the day I work in IT (like a few of you it seems) although not an any fixed client site. It's for this reason that Amersham's rail and road links appealled when we were looking for somewhere to live. I hail from the West Country originally, and ended up in Amersham via Stoke, Dudley, Wolverhampton and Little Chalfont. I love it here and can't imagine moving away.

I haven't made as much of an effort to participate in the community as perhaps I should, so I'm looking forward to finding out more here.

Duncan

#12 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:54 PM

Hi Duncan. Welcome to the forum. As you say, there are quite a few IT people on here, but variety too.

#13 carkeyz

carkeyz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:19 PM

Hi all!

I have been lurking and posting everynow and again for years but thought it was time to introduce myself.

I am Carla and am 20! 21 in Spetember and am scared about being an adult!

I live in Prestwood but grew up in Amersham and my parents and brothers still live there.
I went to The Amersham School and left in 2006. I then went to Amersham college to do my AS Levels in the evenings while working.

I have a gorgeous 16 month old daughter - Millie - who definatly takes up most my time but also run my own business Millie Bug Cleaning Services.

Looking forward to joining in a bit more!

x
Bang Tidy Cleaning Services

We LOVE to do the jobs you Hate....

www.bangtidycleaningservices.co.uk

#14 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:10 AM

Hi Carla, welcome to the forums! :)

#15 susie

susie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:foreign languages, homoeopathy,

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:41 PM

Hello everyone!

I am new to the forum and English is not my mother tongue. Therefore I would like to apologize for all the mistakes which I envitably will make. I am Austrian and worked from August 1960 to May 1961 at the Crown Hotel in Amersham as a chamber maid. There I met there my first and only love Denis Malcolm Powell, born on 1st October 1943 in Bristol, Parents Alfred La Bassice Cook and Mildred Gladys Cook formerly Thatcher. He lived as a fostered child with a family Powell at Highbury, Stanley Hill. Unfortunately I lost contact over the years. I came back in 1989 but I could not find the house anymore where I was a welcomed guest so many times. They had a German shepherds dog called Trudy, I think. I do not remember the first names of his foster parents (they surely are dead by now) but I know that he had a sister called Patricia. Is there anybody who could tell me the number of the house and who is living in it now?

The Crown Hotel then belonged to the Trust Houses Limited, the managers were a couple with the surname Grant, he was Scot and she was German.

#16 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 02:11 PM

Hi Susie,

Don't apologise for your English. No-one else does and few are as good as you.

Highbury is 17 Stanley Hill, Amersham, HP7 9HP. That I found out from the local planning records but I've no idea who lives there. There are several Powells in the local phone book but no D M Powell.

Good luck in your search.
David P

#17 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:26 PM

New members 2010
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk