#1 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:58 AM

From Transport For Bucks

"Pothole repairs today: http://tinyurl.com/36h46tj The little green flags will be done in the next 48 hours, the blue are completed"
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

Amersham News, Views & Information Facebook Page

#2 Slidehard

Slidehard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:40 AM

I left the area for a work commitment back in March 2010 and have just returned to find the same pot holes!. Were these ever filled in or have they just returned?! LOL

#3 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:47 AM

Were these ever filled in or have they just returned?! LOL

Well that depends, some of they will have been repaired but within a few days will have reappeared and been fixed and reappeared etc etc., some of them have been repaired properly and have stayed in place and others haven't been touched at all.
Mel and Co

#4 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:29 PM

I have seen plenty of last winter's "fixed" pot holes reopening this year.
PeterC aka Chilternbirder

#5 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:10 PM

Yes, me too. Our old friends in the entrance to Lincoln Park are back.

#6 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:19 PM

The unlit, 60mph section of Hollow Way Lane is like a patchwork quilt, it's 'fixed' badly every fortnight and within a few days is back to it's normal mess. The council fixed a couple of the holes last week but drove past the rest and they presumably had to weave around them like the rest of us.
Mel and Co

#7 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 04:48 PM

I've noticed that someone has filled with either cement or concrete, the 3 very deep recurring potholes on Latimer Road, Waterside near the Newsagent, formerly a Post Office.

Although it's a bit of a rough and ready job, more care appears to have gone into filling it than when the council workers use their boots to stamp down the tarmac and as it's already been there for 3 or 4 days it has last longer than most of the official repairs.
Mel and Co

#8 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:58 PM

I've noticed that someone has filled with either cement or concrete, the 3 very deep recurring potholes on Latimer Road, Waterside near the Newsagent, formerly a Post Office.

Although it's a bit of a rough and ready job, more care appears to have gone into filling it than when the council workers use their boots to stamp down the tarmac and as it's already been there for 3 or 4 days it has last longer than most of the official repairs.

:D Someone has obviously lost their patience with the councils shodding repairs.Noticed a number of poorly repaired potholes today.They havent even bothered to break away the old crumbling edge of the potholes and filled around the edges sufficiently.Its just frustrating,if the public are noticing a number of botched jobs, then is the quality of the pothole being work being monitord at all.

#9 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:19 AM

It's a very narrow stretch of road where those 3 potholes are and for larger vehicles it's virtually impossible to avoid them. I've seen quite a few cars mounting the pavement to get around them.

It is the road that all lorries leaving McMinns have to take to get into Chesham so it does take a fair beating but they are in exactly the same place as they always are!
Mel and Co

#10 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:01 PM

Transport for Bucks have today (01/02/11) "Tweeted"

"We have repaired 267 road problems across Bucks today. If you spot a pothole, report it online http://tiny.cc/e08rn or call 0845 230 2882"
Matthew P Jones

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

#11 Milton

Milton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Cricket, music, travel.

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:17 PM

Transport for Bucks have today (01/02/11) "Tweeted"

"We have repaired 267 road problems across Bucks today. If you spot a pothole, report it online http://tiny.cc/e08rn or call 0845 230 2882"

Beat me to it, Matthew. According to their interactive map here they are going to repair the corrugated Holloway Lane in the next 48 hours.

#12 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:43 PM

they are going to repair the corrugated Holloway Lane in the next 48 hours.

again!!! I'll wait and see if it's actually worth calling it a repair!
Mel and Co

#13 roob_the_doob

roob_the_doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:49 PM

We have repaired 267 road problems across Bucks today.

I'd be more impressed if I thought any of the 'repairs' were going to last more than a couple of weeks.

#14 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:17 PM

Mick and his mates were throwing a shovel full of tarmac into the holes in Bellingdon Road today and stamping it down.

I suppose the question is, whether it is worth doing a temporary job on lots of holes in a short time or doing a permanent job but much more slowly (and therefore leaving many of the holes for several weeks at least).
David P

#15 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:55 PM

it is worth doing a temporary job on lots of holes in a short time or doing a permanent job but much more slowly

I would have no problem with the "temporary" filling if they came back during the summer and did a proper job.

#16 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:15 PM

I would have no problem with the "temporary" filling if they came back during the summer and did a proper job.

Problem is in the majority of cases that I've seen they don't.

#17 roob_the_doob

roob_the_doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:02 AM

Summer would be much too late. For many of them, lasting until March is optimistic.

#18 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:18 PM

They've changed the website again, but it is, generally, much better than it was.
  • The main advantage is that the map now displays which potholes have already been reported and what stage they are at (except for the ones that aren't shown at all ;) ). You can also search for types of problem, or by ID.
  • The disadvantages are that you are now restricted to 160 characters per report and you can't switch between map and satellite (I sometimes found the latter easier for finding the exact location, but it's easy enough to have Google maps open in another browser tab).
Anyway here's the new page: BCC Report a problem

#19 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:10 PM

Are they actually responding to reports on their own website at last? A couple of years ago I reported a broken street light which was ignored. I reported it again through Fixmystreet and it was sorted PDQ.
Since then I have only used Fixmystreet for reporting.

#20 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:24 PM

Are they actually responding to reports on their own website at last? A couple of years ago I reported a broken street light which was ignored. I reported it again through Fixmystreet and it was sorted PDQ.
Since then I have only used Fixmystreet for reporting.

I've only ever reported through BCC and most of them were eventually fixed, or more often, patched. I'll monitor tonight's logs and see what happens.

I've never used Fixmystreet, because I assumed it was better to go direct.

#21 Speedy

Speedy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:58 PM

There are still numerous deep potholes around that don't appear to be getting filled in. I'm surprised my car isn't off the road with damage.

#22 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:33 PM

Anyone else having problem with that site at the top of the page.Keeps telling me it cant connect.

#23 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:11 AM

I've never used Fixmystreet, because I assumed it was better to go direct.

I have had problems with both BCC abd CDC failing to respond to web based reports in the past. I had the distinct impression that somebody had gone out and created these nice web sites without actually creating a role at the business end to check the reports.

They may have improved recently but as I said before I stuck with fixmystreet because they always seem to respond them.

#24 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:54 AM

I found this article on the BBC, there is a particularly interesting quote from Val Letheren which I will highlight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-herts-12580359

Valerie Lethern, at Buckinghamshire County Council, said cash had been limited for a number of years and costs are absorbed through increasing efficiency savings.

She said working with a private sector company has created £3m worth of efficiency savings in its first year of operation and this has helped contain these pressures.
"Our budget for highway maintenance in 2009-10 was £12.7m and of this total £2.6m was spent on pothole repairs," she said.

"The same figures for 2010-11 are £11.5m and £3.2m respectively.

"We did consider the need to reduce our budget for highway maintenance next year (2011-12) by £200,000.

"However, in view of the road damage caused by the winter snow and ice and public concerns this budget reduction will not be implemented."

So working with a private sector company has created efficiency savings. I'd like to know how, when each repair needs to be done on numerous occasions until it eventually fixes the problem, if it eventually fixes the problem?!
Mel and Co

#25 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:36 PM

Its been weeks now since I've reported a number of potholes and they havent been filled or marked to be done,the website doesnt work either.Pretty incompetent really.Pothole after pothole that have been repaired previously numerous times are back again needing further repair.

#26 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:33 AM

Transport for Bucks are doing "Plane and Patching"

See the link below to find out more

http://www.transport...d-patching.aspx
Matthew P Jones

#27 GJC

GJC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:51 AM

Transport for Bucks are doing "Plane and Patching"

See the link below to find out more

http://www.transport...d-patching.aspx

Interesting that when you look at the map this is a link to, it shows lots of completed repairs but no planned ones!
GJC
Posted Image

#28 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:53 AM

Bucks Examiner reporting here that Bucks CC are winning the battle against pot holes

Some data from the report -

"The number of repairs - by area - made since March 1 are:

Beaconsfield 110, Amersham 114, Chesham 163, The Ivers 76, The Missendens 43, southwest Chilterns/Marlow 185,

Gerrards Cross 97, The Chalfonts 155, Beeches 156, Chepping Wye Valley 153, and High Wycombe 389."

I wonder if it is a bit lie "painting the Forth Bridge" in that it will never end, or in the opinion of many there will always be un filled holes / bad repairs. However, hopefully this is good news.

Matthew P Jones

#29 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:10 AM

I wonder if it is a bit lie "painting the Forth Bridge" in that it will never end, or in the opinion of many there will always be un filled holes / bad repairs.

There will always be some potholes and a few bad repairs, and the increase in traffic makes it harder to keep on top of things. Nevertheless, the number of severe ones on major routes that are ignored months after being reported is very poor.

#30 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:30 PM

You just have to look at many roads to realise they have come to towards the end of their working life.They should've been re-surfaced a long time ago, now the council are left patching what is left of our roads with insufficient funds.I have noticed recently over the last few weeks that they have been making better quality repairs of potholes around Chesham & Amersham, not the tempoary bodge fixes weve seen in the past.They resurfaced Lye Green Rd in Chesham and its a pleasure to drive on that road now. :)