8 replies to this topic

#1 HP6

HP6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:05 PM

This isn't really an Amersham story, but the laws of supply and demand in action.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-12284468<br />
They had nice coaches, but not enough people inside them.

#2 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:15 PM

Unfortunately, they could not compete. They started with 5 trains per day, then cut it down to 4, then from December to 3 to cut costs. This of course makes the service offered less attractive and may mean fewer people would use it. So a downward spiral so typical of rail and bus services. Again, a chicken and egg, people won't use a service unless it is good, but providers won't run a service for long if there is no demand as people won't quickly switch.

I also wonder if Virgin will keep their services to the area introduced after Wrexham and Shropshire started?
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

Amersham News, Views & Information Facebook Page

#3 DogChops

DogChops

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:10 PM

Well, one of their trains broke down last night and caused no end of hassle on the Wycombe line, and their trains are ridiculously loud so you can't hear the announcements etc when one is stood in Marylebone. So good riddance.

Edited by PaulEden, 26 January 2011 - 01:31 PM.

#4 echinosum

echinosum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:09 PM

Well, one of their trains broke down last night and caused no end of hassle on the Wycombe line, and their trains are ridiculously loud so you can't hear the announcements etc when one is stood in Marylebone. So good riddance.

Chiltern are already using some of the loco-hauled stock on Chiltern-branded services, so I suspect we'll see more of that in future.

So, one of the loco-hauled jobs broke down. The DMUs break down too. I don't have any data, but my guess would be that the loco-hauled break down less often than the DMUs.

#5 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:27 PM

If the stock can be transferred to Chiltern (both are owned by DBAG) then that could free up some DMUs from the Birmingham run to improve local services.

PeterC aka Chilternbirder

#6 Milton

Milton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Cricket, music, travel.

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:07 PM

I think this is a real shame. Having been spoilt all my life by living in places with good railway connections I'm a big fan of rail travel to less commonly visited places. I also suspect that we won't, as a nation, get out of our cars more unless we get used to having a good, flexible & readily available railway service.

Hopefully Chiltern will benefit from the rolling stock as PeterC suggests. They do have a good reputation for being flexible and forward thinking and hopefully the common ownership will help in that respect.

#7 echinosum

echinosum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:27 PM

{Chiltern} do have a good reputation for being flexible and forward thinking ...

They had such a reputation when owned by Laing. Whether they still deserve it now they are owned by DB remains to be seen.

#8 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:10 PM

Whether they still deserve it now they are owned by DB remains to be seen.

Will depend on how much autonomy Chiltern keeps in the longer term. If they are absorbed into Arriva (another DBAG subsiduary) then I don't have much hope.

#9 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:39 AM

I saw Wrexham and Shropshire coaches at Marylebone this morning. I assume that they were in use by Chiltern as there isn't the capacity to use a platform for storage.