Photo

More Traffic On The A413? (Arla Diary, Aylesbury)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:11 PM

According to a story in the Bucks Ex there will be a planning application for a new dairy in Aston Clinton with one of the delivery routes along the A413. There are fears that a huge amount of lorries will need to travel past Amersham each day. Concerns are already raised at the level of traffic and noise on the A413.
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on Twitter

Amersham News Views & Information is also on Facebook

Don't forget to read the Forum Rules!

#2 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:54 PM

Surely the dairy would have a good estimate of how many trucks they will have and what time of the day they would be leaving the dairy.That way the council could get a clearer picture of what increase in traffic there would be.Also remember that HS2 will put a further burden on that A413, so could be painfull.

#3 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:56 PM

Here we go again - another paranoid knee-jerk reaction by the local nimby brigade.

If you read the article (and it's only a BE article anyway) it says that there will be 470 trucks a day from the Aston Clinton site and one of the supply routes would be the A413 southbound. (How do the trucks get back again, I wonder?). So there won't be hundreds of trucks a day pounding along the A413 as, presumably, many of them will be heading north, east and west. But the logical route south from Aston Clinton is along the A41 to the M25, so I can't see Amersham being affected at all.

The fact that the site will create 680 much needed jobs of course does not matter to the nimbys.
David P

#4 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:09 PM

Darn it, David - you've said everything I wanted to say!

#5 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:10 AM

Darn it Fran. You've said everything I wanted to say!

#6 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:02 PM

Depends really where the site is to be located,whether its better suited to use the A413 than the other routes.Doubt it would, but if it was open 24hrs a day,then that would be almost 20 trucks an hour leaving the site or say its open 8 hours a day thats just over 58 trucks an hour.Maybe worded incorrecly but they say 470 delivery trucks will leave the 70-acre plant each day.So if you account that while trucks are leaving, the others will be returning thats 40-106 trucks an hour. :huh: Maybe I've got my figures wrong! :) The article does seem a little one sided and new jobs to the area would be welcome.Does however seem to be an excessive amount of trucks though even if they are split between the A41 and A413.

#7 Weezer

Weezer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:43 AM

Whatever the route, the nimbys will be milking this one for all it's worth! :P

#8 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:59 AM

As long as they don't lose their bottle!

Further information here.

http://www.arlafoods.co.uk/aylesbury/

#9 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:11 PM

And a PDF document with most of the details but no mention of 470 vehicles. I've asked the company for clarification.

http://www.arlafoods..._webversion.pdf

From the above PDF file, a few lines about vehicle routing.

NE - A41 West - A4157 - A418 North
NW - A41 West - A4157 - A41 West
SE - A41 East
SW - A41 West - A413 South / A418 South

#10 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:17 PM

From the above PDF file, a few lines about vehicle routing.

NE - A41 West - A4157 - A418 North
NW - A41 West - A4157 - A41 West
SE - A41 East
SW - A41 West - A413 South / A418 South

For the geographically challenged, that means that the trucks will come nowhere near Amersham!
David P

#11 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:25 PM

For the geographically challenged, that means that the trucks will come nowhere near Amersham!

I don't suppose we should expect much more from a paper that isn't even based in the area. Most weeks you can find error's in the Exagerator of road names and areas.

#12 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 04:33 PM

I don't suppose we should expect much more from a paper that isn't even based in the area. Most weeks you can find error's in the Exagerator of road names and areas.

Arla Foods said roughly 470 delivery trucks will leave the 70-acre plant each day if planning permission is approved - and the A413 southbound would be one of the supply routes.

Amersham Town councillor Davida Allen said: "I live 100 yards from the A413 and the traffic is already very heavy. My constituents are also very concerned about the levels of traffic."

Councillor Meg White added: "The A413 is already exceedingly busy, so it would cause problems. Poor Amersham is at the centre of three strategic routes already and we don't need to see any more traffic."

Chiltern Society planning officer Charles Firth said:
We get plenty of complaints about traffic on the A413 and the surrounding roads as it is."

So looks like the paper is completely incompetent and possibly the Councillors (one serving Amersham) have commented on the wrong road. :)

#13 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:34 AM

Arla Foods replied to my email last week. Attached is a 6.44MB PDF file (if the attachment works) showing a much better plan of the site. In their reply, they confirmed the figure of 470 vehicle movements per day.

Attached Files

#14 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:05 AM

Arla Foods replied to my email last week. Attached is a 6.44MB PDF file (if the attachment works) showing a much better plan of the site. In their reply

and showing it perched firmly on the A41 from where very little traffic will have any need to take the A413 near Amersham.
David P

#15 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:40 AM

Posted Image

#16 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:56 PM

Has that been approved by our legal team, Paul? ;)

#17 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:52 PM

We have a legal team? You should have seen some of the more unkind versions :)

#18 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:58 AM

BBC News article

#19 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:57 AM

The formal planning application is in, and there are lots of details here, mostly reassuring to residents of Amersham and users of the A413: http://www.arlafoods.co.uk/aylesbury/.

The "Planning Application Page" includes the following:

• "Arla vehicles not using the A413 to Amersham." (Perhaps the title of this topic should be changed.)
  • "Routing as many Arla lorries as possible onto the A41 towards London as this bypass has a two way daily capacity of approximately 75,000 vehicles and it has a two way flow of around 23,000 vehicles currently."

Elsewhere, the site says
  • "When the dairy reaches capacity, which will take some time, an average of 20 lorries per hour will come to the dairy."
  • "The dairy would be the first zero carbon milk processing facility in the world."

You can read a little more on the Aylesbury MP's blog, including a link to AVDC planning site, as well as the application number: David Lidington's blog.

#20 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:40 PM

• "The dairy would be the first zero carbon milk processing facility in the world."

Does that include the methane expelled by the cows? :rolleyes:
David P